• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Has the secondary silver market hit the market saturation point.

The monster box has brought it to light for me personally as is an example  it is getting harder to sell Singles at anywhere near there true inflation value. 

Questionable origin isn't meant to be cryptic but when new silver can be sold at less than spot plus 20% it is of a questionable origin to me personally.

37 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

The monster box has brought it to light for me personally as is an example  it is getting harder to sell Singles at anywhere near there true inflation value. 

Questionable origin isn't meant to be cryptic but when new silver can be sold at less than spot plus 20% it is of a questionable origin to me personally.

Pre-Brexit it was fairly common for silver to be available slightly below spot +20%, reflecting the lower VAT rates in the EU. I guess people have found new ways of sourcing silver from outside of the UK.

Posted (edited)

That's sort of my point really has the silver sourced elsewhere falsely deflated the UK secondary market making silver an unattractive investment.

Edited by Fenlander1

2 hours ago, Fenlander1 said:

Due to a member not being able sell a monster box for a normal market reasonable price my question is.

Has questionably cheap silver finally caused the small silver market to hit critical saturation point where silver bought through authorised dealers as an investment is no longer a viable option. 

There will always be a race to beat the price of a fellow dealer but is the current situation made worse by an influx of silver of a questionable origin.

As per usual @Fenlander1 , you are taking out of your arse ( I’m the metals except on the form) nobody cares about belgian libartards, or Canadian Noah’s ark, or Mexican maples,or Chinese kangaroos, all boring and wxxxk, 👎, Daffy Duck, Star Wars , alladin, spider man coins sell for more profit , so that is the answer to your stupid question , now get a grip of your coin sales , or I’ll get a grip of you????

It the same old thing that you see all the time. Members starting out, buy the cheapest which is silver, then after while decide that gold is where you make your money, so they end up selling for gold. Too many sellers forcing down the price.  The £25oz Britannia will be gone for a while and if £ ever strengthen against the $ to the normal rate of £1/$1.50 guess what the selling price in £ will be, yes even lower than it is today. 

Never Chase and Never Regret 

I may be misunderstanding the point, but if sellers have found a way around the VAT then TSF's ecosystem won't change the market economy.

You can actually get around 20% VAT from the big bullion dealers too, if buying pre-owned coins under their special VAT scheme. So it's not new.

Edited by bluemoon

2 minutes ago, bluemoon said:

I may be misunderstanding the point, but if sellers have found a way around the VAT then I'm all for it. TSF's ecosystem won't change the market economy.

You can actually get around 20% VAT from the big bullion dealers too, if buying pre-owned coins under their special VAT scheme. So it's not new.

It's not a question of whether it is a good or bad thing anything that's stops these taxes I am all for it. The point I was trying to raise was. There must be a critical point where a small market can be influenced by prices. Its all relevant buying cheap is great but its when you come to sell you will see the issues.

The spot price will never be influced by the secondary market but the small market on the TSF has definitely been influenced as has places like Facebook and ebay but at what cost overall. Is silver still a worthy metal to invest in or is gold the safer bet as it cannot be so heavily included by outside forces.

7 minutes ago, Jimmock said:

I think what @Fenlander1 may be getting at(I may be totally wrong)😁 is that recently,there seems to have been an increase in members who are able to sell seemingly limitless amounts of silver at, what seems to me, a very low premium. Thus making it virtually impossible for the everyday stacker to turn over a few oz here and there,without having to sell at a loss.

Unfortunately this was always going to be the side effect of a small market being flooded it started with Britannia’s and is now hitting the more collector items, from what I can tell and in my personal opinion the secondary market has hit the critical saturation point as there are only so many of us stackers/collectors out there and most people are stocked up rightly or wrongly on the cheapest available so the only way for price to go is down the so called race to the bottom.

I was just curious as to others thoughts.

16 minutes ago, Jimmock said:

I think what @Fenlander1 may be getting at(I may be totally wrong)😁 is that recently,there seems to have been an increase in members who are able to sell seemingly limitless amounts of silver at, what seems to me, a very low premium. Thus making it virtually impossible for the everyday stacker to turn over a few oz here and there,without having to sell at a loss.

Jim , of course he’s got it wrong , he always does   😀 couldn’t sell sand to the Arabs 😀👍

1 minute ago, Fenlander1 said:

Nope

Is your new 50p on its way the millennium sparrow or whatever its called.

1 minute ago, Fenlander1 said:

Not selling anything you ejit, leave the grown ups to talk.

Nope , I can feel it in the force , young Jedi ??? 

Objectively the minimum price of 1oz of silver in the UK should be spot + 20% = £23.57 at current prices, + shipping

If you sell below that you're either taking a loss or breaking the law. Would a trader survive if they were selling at a loss? Ergo ....

I feel for the ordinary stacker who probably paid £23-25 and thought they were getting a good deal, and they did get a good LEGAL deal

Mass migration is a net killer of lower and middle class wealth but there also some positives. People from the Indian subcontinent (inc Pakistan) have much more favourable views towards precious metals than the average westerner. This is out of necessity as their currencies are worthless relative to USD and GBP/Euro. The privileged "golden billion" up until the 21st Century had largely been insulated from these global market forces.

We have imported 1 million more migrants this year alone, mostly from countries that love precious metals. If each person brought in their legal tax-free entitlement of £390 or whatever, that would be a lot of silver. I look around out of interest at other marketplaces and yea, I see a whole lot of foreigners selling cheap silver and tobacco, hmm, I wonder how they can afford to sell at those prices? Could it be they didn't pay UK taxes? Yep, and I don't blame them. It's what people do. When we go on holiday we assume our laws apply wherever we go and so does everyone else when they come to the UK. You guys used to do it on TSF, right? The VAT-free silver from Estonia? Yep, there ya go

It will rebalance in time especially if silver spot continues to go up and holds strongly above £20/oz. We do need to reduce the official VAT on silver in the UK though

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

There are more than a few UK born sellers who exploit international travel and connections. I'm sure you all know who they are but if folks travel they seem to be able to offer much better prices on silver. What a strange coincidence. 

6 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

There are more than a few UK born sellers who exploit international travel and connections. I'm sure you all know who they are....

Who are they?

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

Personally, I pay North of 30% income tax on my salary already. If a way presents itself to not pay tax on something I'm buying from my already heavily taxed salary, I'll be taking it.

Normally I would agree and if it was the odd tube here and there it wouldn't be a problem but the situation we are in now where the market is flooded is when you come to sell your cheap silver your investment has failed to keep up with inflation due to external forces and you are forced to make a loss.

5 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

Personally, I pay North of 30% income tax on my salary already. If a way presents itself to not pay tax on something I'm buying from my already heavily taxed salary, I'll be taking it.

I think we're all in the same boat mate. Shocking how we much we get taxed and how little we get in return. Wait until next month with council tax up 10%, utilities (broadband, phone contracts, etc) up 8.8%. It's a joke, some might say theft and I might agree