• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Has the secondary silver market hit the market saturation point.

7 minutes ago, James32 said:

I've always worked of a £4 average premium, so imho silver should now be trading at £25.50 per oz for recognisable coins.

Regrettably as a buyer I think you're about right. Spot + 20% is £25.70 + £8 million RMSD. The man was saying £27 on his latest batch of ASEs

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

Whilst I agree with your secondary market v primary silver price analysis, your comments re mining and refining costs affecting spot price are the opposite of reality in my view.

The paper silver or gold market is the tail wagging the bullion price dog.  Prices of both silver & gold are not currently rising because there are more coin and bar buyers than sellers. We are all exchanging bullion at higher prices now due to the change in spot price, which is pushed around by that paper pm traders/hedgers /speculators. 

The recent rapid price rise, in my opinion is primarily caused by the paper shorters reducing the number of short contracts by buying back the paper bullion. Hence buying. This will be followed by the long speculators and hedgers increasing their long positions, effectively buying more of the the precious metals. Then finally it will be Followed by metals investors buying the physical, which will potentially push up premiums rather than affecting the paper derived spot price. 

Commitment of traders report analysis and commentary by Adam Hamilton at zeal llc and others brought me to this view of price action. 

Edited by PhilB
Spelling

On 03/04/2024 at 23:26, arphethean said:

The price of new silver from dealers will be determined by factors far bigger than the secondary market going rates. Cost of mining, refining, electricity, shipping, waste recovery etc etc etc. All of these factors are opaque and will have an influence on spot. The price of an ounce to a big dealer (who will have multi million £ annual contracts with mints and refiners) could be as little as spot plus 1% for all we know. Or why not even less? They add their margin and 20% on the whole. Their margin will be dictated by whatever their customers will pay but everything else is affected by macro factors. 

When price of spot is below cost of production then miners lose money and share prices leverage the change in gold.or silver bullion price declines. Similarly they have approx 2x leverage when prices are rising, or more accurately margins are expanding as costs also rise but hopefully slower than spot price received by the miners/refines. 

Edited by PhilB
Deleted some of quote

On 06/04/2024 at 01:02, PhilB said:

Whilst I agree with your secondary market v primary silver price analysis, your comments re mining and refining costs affecting spot price are the opposite of reality in my view.

The paper silver or gold market is the tail wagging the bullion price dog.  Prices of both silver & gold are not currently rising because there are more coin and bar buyers than sellers. We are all exchanging bullion at higher prices now due to the change in spot price, which is pushed around by that paper pm traders/hedgers /speculators. 

The recent rapid price rise, in my opinion is primarily caused by the paper shorters reducing the number of short contracts by buying back the paper bullion. Hence buying. This will be followed by the long speculators and hedgers increasing their long positions, effectively buying more of the the precious metals. Then finally it will be Followed by metals investors buying the physical, which will potentially push up premiums rather than affecting the paper derived spot price. 

Commitment of traders report analysis and commentary by Adam Hamilton at zeal llc and others brought me to this view of price action. 

Thanks for your insight. Appreciate it

Let's all take a moment to thank BBP and Royal Mint for making everybody else look like great value:

Tube Of 2023 1oz Silver Britannias - From £919.32 | BullionByPost

25 x 2024 1oz Silver Britannia Coin - From £827.76 | BullionByPost

Britannia 2024 1 oz Silver Bullion Twenty Five Coin Tube | The Royal Mint (£850 inc VAT)

£1000/tube for the cheapest brits (2024 KCIII) is on the cards this time next week. That would be nuts, almost as nuts as BBP asking £50 for a 2023 QEII or £65 for a 2011 brit

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

Just now, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Let's all take a moment to thank BBP and Royal Mint for making everybody else look like great value:

Tube Of 2023 1oz Silver Britannias - From £919.32 | BullionByPost

25 x 2024 1oz Silver Britannia Coin - From £827.76 | BullionByPost

Britannia 2024 1 oz Silver Bullion Twenty Five Coin Tube | The Royal Mint (£850 inc VAT)

£1000/tube for the cheapest brits (2024 KCIII) is on the cards this time next week. That would be nuts, almost as nuts as BBP asking £50 for a 2023 QEII or £65 for a 2011 brit

I can do a tube of 2024s for you at £800, because we have a special bond.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 03/04/2024 at 23:26, arphethean said:

...Secondary market concerns all of us, and even dealers, and vat is not a factor. ..

^^^^^

This

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”