• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Has the secondary silver market hit the market saturation point.

1 minute ago, Fenlander1 said:

Normally I would agree and if it was the odd tube here and there it wouldn't be a problem but the situation we are in now where the market is flooded is when you come to sell your cheap silver your investment has failed to keep up with inflation due to external forces and you are forced to make a loss.

I started buying silver in 2010, discovered the EU loophole in 2011 and took advantage where I could.

It was clear then that buying silver in the UK at 20% VAT was a terrible idea if you were looking for a quick return or trying to make a business out of it.

Silver bought in the UK is either a long-term hold, a moonshot gamble or a useful savings vehicle to help you buy gold.

1 hour ago, Fenlander1 said:

Normally I would agree and if it was the odd tube here and there it wouldn't be a problem but the situation we are in now where the market is flooded is when you come to sell your cheap silver your investment has failed to keep up with inflation due to external forces and you are forced to make a loss.

2C1524FB-C28B-497E-B603-B0ACF7C703D0.jpeg.0cec58550a215cff3a05939ad665d909.jpeg

I haven't purchased on this forum for a while, when did these cheaper silver prices start coming in? I used to do the Estonia group buys with BYB. About a year ago I saw a controversial sales thread with someone selling the silver cheap, but he was previously banned so got banned again, but partly also because the prices seemed "too cheap" considering VAT.

I've been buying Special VAT Scheme silver from reputable bullion dealers to buy cheaper silver anyway.

Edited by bluemoon

Posted (edited)

There is certainly some interesting thoughts on this matter. I personally think its the volume available that causes the issue. A dealer on a special vat scheme only has a limited quantity and therefor wouldn't really affect the market.

Edited by Fenlander1

a market is a market imho - if there is a large amount of supply then that is going to push prices down.

on tsf - gold krugs and sovereigns have been available for spot or below - do you also view these as questionable origin?

What nonsense  - someone has even managed to bring immigration into the fray.

This just sounds like sour grapes to me.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Spark268 said:

a market is a market imho - if there is a large amount of supply then that is going to push prices down.

on tsf - gold krugs and sovereigns have been available for spot or below - do you also view these as questionable origin?

This just sounds like sour grapes to me.

Couldn't agree more on the market thing and yes the point of the conversation is have prices been pushed down artificially.

You can always buy a certain amount of any metal for below spot that's how dealers trade  krugs and sovs are no different but their origin is of no relevance as the market is global not insular as in the UK.

The problem with an unlevel  playing field the ball always rolls to the bottom.

I don't think there is any sour grapes tbh 

8 minutes ago, Spark268 said:

this topic is nonsense - the guy wanting to sell a monster box of silver is complaining about volume??

No I don't think so 

Edited by Fenlander1

so if some one sells silver at spot -5% + 20 % vat = spot +15% then its VAT fraud and of questionable origin - as per fenlander and honestmoneys arguements ... but someone selling gold at spot - 5% + 0 % vat = spot - 5% , is all okay, dealers do it and krugs are common? It doesn't matter if the latter is covered in blood.

I'm still boggled that someone attempting to sell a monster box of silver in one go is complaining about volumes!

Edited by Spark268

2 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me

i am - how the hell is immigration, or mass migration as you want to call it even tangentially involved with the OP? 🤪

7 minutes ago, Spark268 said:

as per fenlander and honestmoneys arguements ..

Not really an argument tbh just a question based on an observation of market trends 

Just now, AllThingsShiny said:

Only on this very bitchy forum do you find people moaning about sellers offering good deals to fellow stackers. 

In any other walk of life these people would be seen as a godsend in the current economic climate.

There definitely seems to be a clique on this forum atm 

If there is my invite must have been lost in the post 😂 The problem is when you undercut the legitimate sellers those sellers just leave or get forced out of business. Selling silver or any item below fair market value is not a sustainable business practice. I'm with you 100% we need all the help we can get in the current economic climate. The root problem is our government, as always. I appreciate a bargain as much as the next man

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

2 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Mate, immigration (positive) and mass migration (negative) are two different things. One is natural and healthy, the other is a waking nightmare. Why is it relevant? Because the migrants value precious metals a lot more than westerners do.

It is common cultural practice on the Indian subcontinent to store your wealth in silver and gold, whereas only about 1% of the population of the UK does the same. So, when you import a million people to the UK within a year who already own silver and bring it with them, of course that's going to result in an excess of cheap (VAT-free) silver. It would significantly increase the prevalence of physical silver ownership in the UK overnight - significantly more silver but not significantly more demand, you see? 

mate - you accuse me of confusing VAT, migrants and immigrants etc

however

1) this thread (as i understand it) is about the silver secondary market

2) you seem to mix up the definitions between migrants, westerners, indians etc (what on earth has that got to do with this thread?)

3) vat registered business must include 20% vat on silver, however, if you are not vat registered, then, "you cannot apply charge VAT to your invoices even if the product or service is VAT rated. If you do, you will incur a penalty charge from HMRC."

4) the idiocy of the OP of complaining about volumes at low prices when talking about the issues of selling a monster box in one go.