• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NEW St. George and the Dragon coin with Garter inscription

1 hour ago, Chrisplym said:

It looks great but has some curved indentations around the edge of the obverse between 12 and 3 o’clock. Does anyone know what has caused this?

That's caused by the edge lettering. As metal from the blank flows into the voids in the collar, some of it is encouraged to come away from other places. I believe this could be avoided if the coins were struck more times and/or with more pressure.

If you ever see a 10p coin with a cud error on the reverse, there's always a sunken area on the obverse for the same reason - metal flowing into the void where the die has broken causes some of it to come away from the obverse.

Similar effects can be seen on old pennies, threepences, sovereigns etc where a "large" portrait causes a ghostly sunken outline to be visible on the reverse.

Another RM Return MOFOs

I was always nervous for the quality of this coin as across platforms they’ve been shocking. 5oz.

I would share pictures but it’s not worth my while. Ok, just one.

Off to a flying start- the hinge on the box was broken.

Obverse- three marks on Charlie’s portrait. Chip missing on the neck.

Reverse- George’s sword has actually been used and scuffed.

The circumference inscription is intermittently frosted. Marks and scuffs around the whole coin. (Not capsule)

Foooook you Royal Mint, you didn’t let me down👍

On my account, still stuck on ‘In Progress’

Returned for a replacement.

IMG_7278.jpeg

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

16 hours ago, Chrisplym said:

I am so pleased that I bought this coin. The design looks so good in hand.

Here are some photos of my 2oz gold. I was lucky enough to have a low COA number of 8.

It looks great but has some curved indentations around the edge of the obverse between 12 and 3 o’clock. Does anyone know what has caused this? Should I return it to be replaced? Thanks for your input.

B3E610D8-FC41-4162-85BB-C2CF41F09DC9.jpeg

55365BEC-3312-4D9F-A024-0CF47C6E9769.jpeg

C9B303D3-EB7A-4CF3-AD25-C569F712F8C4.jpeg

The "notched rim" on the obverse is identical on every gold I've had in hand  x4.  I'm not worried about it and glad I've got one for my collection.  

16 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Is anyone else getting lots of 500 Internal Server errors when trying to use the forum? I would have asked this in a more appropriate thread, but I can't actually navigate to it!

I was locked out most of the day and just kept getting a white blank screen

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The "notched rim" on the obverse is identical on every gold I've had in hand  x4.  I'm not worried about it and glad I've got one for my collection.  

Hi Dave. In your experience, what grade would my coin achieve with NGC? Thanks.

58 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The million pound question, from a technical point this is how they are made and there’s no post production imperfections then it should not affect grading, however as you know it’s highly subjective.

got several gold and silvers in already for folks just have to see how they do.   

Do your gold ones have the same issue, Dave?

On 23/03/2024 at 16:05, paulmerton said:

image.thumb.png.151491f24267e285083189e0a270a2b6.png

I wasn't 100% convinced that this was a tiny strikethrough or dent, so I bravely got out my Wera hex key set (the Perth Mint of hexagonal shaped tools) and opened up the capsule. I blew at it with an air blower, and was disappointed that it didn't budge :( 

But I blew a bit harder in desperation, and it disappeared! So it was indeed just a foreign object on the surface of the coin all along.

Hurrah!

But then I noticed this other problem that I think warrants it being sent back regardless - some finger-like marks around the final letter that I only noticed at this angle (photo is through the capsule).

image.thumb.png.3c7ebe0161deab7436faa6a563dbe445.png

On 22/03/2024 at 13:20, GoldDiggerDave said:

Nice video mate just a question I’ve got some die grease and I was going to return it now you’ve mentioned die grease how would you remove it thanks 

6 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Would die grease - if left on the coin - eventually react and cause tarnishing?

Not on gold. But you only have to look at modern silver proof £2 coins to see that grease (often trapped between the inner and outer) can cause an issue on silver. 

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

Not on gold. But you only have to look at modern silver proof £2 coins to see that grease (often trapped between the inner and outer) can cause an issue on silver. 

Oh gosh. So that’s another concern for the silver coins now? 😖😟

My 5oz arrived today and what a disappointment. Faces look perfect, stunning coin… but then the side lettering, grease reside as has been seen on many coins.

Oh dear the side lettering. How this made it through QC I have no idea. Lettering starts off fine then veers of course until the REGNI II (rose) are hanging off the coin. Why is this passed as ok? The rose is literally in the coin edge. 🤯… now for a long (&expensive) trip back to Europe. 

IMG_4275.thumb.jpeg.6d476dd2ce7955471a3030092c7c890a.jpegIMG_4272.thumb.jpeg.8301a71bdbbf4d762f82aa1678bd36fe.jpegIMG_4271.thumb.jpeg.a3d39d82d75a79ba735672668acd556b.jpeg 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

5 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

My 5oz arrived today and what a disappointment. Faces look perfect, stunning coin… but then the side lettering, grease reside as has been seen on many coins.

Oh dear the side lettering. How this made it through QC I have no idea. Lettering starts off fine then veers of course until the REGNI II (rose) are hanging off the coin. Why is this passed as ok? The rose is literally in the coin edge. 🤯… now for a long trip back to Europe  

IMG_4275.thumb.jpeg.6d476dd2ce7955471a3030092c7c890a.jpegIMG_4272.thumb.jpeg.8301a71bdbbf4d762f82aa1678bd36fe.jpegIMG_4271.thumb.jpeg.a3d39d82d75a79ba735672668acd556b.jpeg 

I feel your pain😢

Who seriously thought this was ok??? It’s not even close.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

9 hours ago, Agaupl said:

Oh dear the side lettering. How this made it through QC I have no idea. Lettering starts off fine then veers of course until the REGNI II (rose) are hanging off the coin. Why is this passed as ok? The rose is literally in the coin edge. 🤯… now for a long (&expensive) trip back to Europe. 

Oof, yes, that's bad! Makes me wonder whether to just return mine for a refund rather than a replacement to avoid this kind of pain.

14 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Oof, yes, that's bad! Makes me wonder whether to just return mine for a refund rather than a replacement to avoid this kind of pain.

I’m just wondering if I’ll get a better replacement! 🤷‍♂️

Aaaahhh😉