• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NEW St. George and the Dragon coin with Garter inscription

1 hour ago, SovereignBull said:

Well i didnt know the 2oz silver had sold out whoop whoop!

🤔😮😮😮😮wow!😮😮😮😳glad I didn’t want one😮😮

On 20/02/2024 at 18:46, Taikonaut said:

They finally sold out the 20z at the mint aftera week. I would more incline to compare this George and Dragon with the other homage to circulated coins such as the Gothic Crown than the The Graces or Una & Lion medallions.

In general numismatic the original George III crown has history and integrity as a currency not to be replaced by a contemporary commemorative piece that is a copy. Just like the Gothic Crown Vs the GE tribute piece.

21 hours ago, tpcob303 said:

Surely the original Una and the lion was once a modern contemporary piece even though it wasn't a tribute. It was sold to special customers of the mint be it in silver or gold. The only difference is time, the una has had almost 200 years to get to where it is today along with the gothic crown or the three graces though other 2 coins not quite as long but still these also were sold nice, shiny and new like the modern GE series. Given time (more than our own life times) as we hand them down to future generations if we are serious collectors these will still appreciate in the long term, maybe not as much as a modern Una and the Lion already has. However to say these are copies would be wrong, I would say that EIC Una, Gothic and 3 Graces are copies. They are not produced by the national mint, they are not UK legal tender and instead licenced as alderney with effigies of the king or Queen that aren't featured on national currency, the series is probably more desirable than the alderney/EIC copies. So while these are reproductions, it has been well known for many modern reproductions to do just as well as the original counterpart like the Lamborghini Countach and it's modern reproduction which was released in relatively small numbers. It gives collectors who can't necessarily afford an original the chance to have that piece of history to pass on. Plus people wouldn't buy it if it were just a cheap copy that wouldn't be worth collecting knowing in the future it might grow in value, plus we continue to buy sovereigns year after year with the same design year after year yet I don't think many will care as long as we get the quality we want even though we know deep down only a few people might get a top grade 70 quality coin while the rest will have some sort of defect or milk spot. Not every gothic either has a Cameo on it yet people will pay good money regardless to have one. Yes the true collector would probably prefer an original piece if Numismatics than a modern piece but even as I said the original una, gothic, 3 graces and St george coins were nice, shiny modern stuff that we buy today. 

The beauty of TSF. Opposing views, well made, had to like them both.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

3 hours ago, Spanishsilver said:

Well **** me after moaning the other day about my account manager not even offering me a 2oz gold 

she’s only just gone and made my day by calling and offering me first dibs on a 2oz gold 🎯🥳

I think it would be rude not to take it after all the complaining 😆

Flowers or whiskey on order for you AC manager 

7 hours ago, paulmerton said:

People who want to make a profit want the low mintage numbers. People who simply want to be able to have the coin appreciate the larger mintage numbers.

5 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I disagree mate and we are allowed to, if coins don’t sell out then “real collectors” don’t want it most of the time. 

2024 proof sovereigns are for real collectors and low mintage and they still haven’t sold out the last time I checked.  And I do think these early proof sovereigns will eventually go the way of early 90 proofs.  

More servings of food for thought. Have to like these opposing views too. 

Personally this released isn’t quite my cup of tea. But I had to come down off the fence because all these splinters are hurting my arse. Looking forward to a few of the forthcoming Monarchs series (if they happen).  Let’s hope this GE release isn’t fraught with the usual QC issues for those of you buying the raw versions.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

4 hours ago, Spanishsilver said:

Well **** me after moaning the other day about my account manager not even offering me a 2oz gold 

she’s only just gone and made my day by calling and offering me first dibs on a 2oz gold 🎯🥳

I think it would be rude not to take it after all the complaining 😆

You are lucky I rang my AM today and she said none left 

18 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

I was told that the 2oz gold sold out within 6 minutes and there is a waiting list.

Yes but highly unlikely that anyone will get one 

1 hour ago, AgCoyote said:

Will this be available in bullion?

The GE series hasn’t yet had a bullion counterpart so far - the closest they got was releasing the Una and the Lion bars (but their designs are different from the coin) - and I highly doubt they will go down this path as it would, imo, kill the series.

41 minutes ago, CheetahX said:

LPM still has both the 5 Oz and 2 Oz silver right now

That is a long wait for delivery. Buy now, then the company will have to wait for these coins to arrive in HK where LPM is based and then wait for them to be dispatched from HK to you, plus the added bonus of VAT on arrival.