• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NEW St. George and the Dragon coin with Garter inscription

15 hours ago, Allgoldcoins said:

What would B.P say about the Mints works today, what have they done to his masterpeice over time?

George on the left is how B.P intended him to look, on the right is how he looks on the 2024 sovereign, I reckon if he was still alive he woud probably sue.

geos.png

That may not be a fair comparison, as Pistrucci never put a streamer on the helmet of the improved sovereign. Close up photos like this can show all sorts of variations, but in hand are not very noticeable. Here’s a 200 year comparison using my 1824 Sovereign GIV. 1821 was the first iconic design with sword in hand, not the 1817 prototype which did have a streamer, as did the Silver Crown. Having said that, the right side image does look a bit weird!🙂

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0346.jpeg

Edited by Britannia47

3 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

That may not be a fair comparison, as Pistrucci never put a streamer on the helmet of the improved sovereign. Close up photos like this can show all sorts of variations, but in hand are not very noticeable. Here’s a 200 year comparison using my 1824 Sovereign GIV. 1821 was the first iconic design with sword in hand, not the 1817 prototype which did have a streamer, as did the Silver Crown.

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0346.jpeg

Good point never noticed this 

One last photo (Don’t want to go too off topic!)

This time a comparison using the original 1817 G&D with its smaller image confined within the garter and the RMs rehashed 2017 job. Yes, I’ve got a couple of these, but don’t like the fact that the RM failed to recognise the role of WWP by leaving his initials off the belt buckle. Without this partnership this first sovereign may not have happened IMO .

Also, nice image of the G&D on the old £5 note…..

IMG_0350.png

5 hours ago, tpcob303 said:

I think a Guinness might be a better option to buy than the long wait. Imagine all those milk spots that will start to appear in the tike it takes for them to arrive, I'm pretty much expecting milk spots on both of my 2oz silver GE including the one that is going direct to the graders from the mint AM. 

Post above was referring to this quote. 

In all fairness, the last time I had milk spotting issues was with the silver Queen’s Beasts and got it exchanged by the RM. *knocks on wood*

Do you think it might be the storage environment?

18 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

In all fairness, the last time I had milk spotting issues was with the silver Queen’s Beasts and got it exchanged by the RM. *knocks on wood*

Do you think it might be the storage environment?

You get milk spots on silver from all the mints. It’s a result of the manufacturing process of the planchettes

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I think the problem with the RM had been that new silver Proofs - supposed to have been Quality Checked - have had milk spots.

Unfortunately, that is an issue that continues to raise issues about the overall standards of the Royal Mints quality assurance 🤔😮

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

Just keen to see some actual shots of the coin in hand 

Likewise! Was told they are in ready for packaging. Maybe different dates for the silver? 

Sure those with coins on ebay will hope they're sent soon 🤪

3 minutes ago, cjbcomm said:

Sure those with coins on ebay will hope they're sent soon 

They need to sell first at their incentivised prices first.

Hopefully this release will be a nice gradual genuine appreciation £ increase for buyers / long term holders 

If flippers weren't so keen to flip, market will only ever goes one way when there's too much of something out their readily available for sale