• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coins of the Realm- Members Co-Op

NGMD

I have been working behind the scenes with @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions and approval from @ChrisSilver about assisting the members who choose to bid on their auctions. My idea is to be transparent with Bids/Lots against each other unless you wish to ‘Duke it out’ bidding.

It will also be a place to discuss queries like logging in, registering to bid and consignment questions etc.

It is also good publicity for COTR to help grow their auction awareness within TSF.

Please could we keep it factual and not a place to vent or inappropriate comments.

I will post all the details of the next auction separately.

Format: 

Title: Coins of the Realm Auction XX

Date XXXX. Live Online. X Lots.

This is free bit of advertising for a Site Sponsor but also an assist on members wanting to bid in an auction/sign up/consign your items to auction.

This will save members out bidding each other and understanding how COTR works with emphasis on no addition ‘fees’ on your bid (except P@P) or signing up.

1. Important to ‘Register to Bid’ even if you have signed up.

2. You can contact COTR directly through TSF and are very helpful and prompt.

3. Voucher discount for Premium memberships.

4. Post below the Lot number you are bidding on.

5. Brief of the item bidding on to save duplicate lots.

If you want to outbid on the same item then that’s fair game. It is worth mentioning that duplicate coins can be occasionally listed under different ‘LOTS’.

Anything else you would like to see, comment below.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

5 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

Also, I have no intention of telling anybody what I intend to bid on.

This. Whether bidding against a fellow TSF member or someone off site, I have a maximum I’m willing to pay so not sure how letting others know I’m bidding changes that 

I agree that 0% is the simplest approach, but in reality it makes no difference to what I’m willing to pay. If a 6, 10, 18% commission applies, then I will bid less accordingly.

The issue currently is that many starting prices are 10-15% above what the market is willing to pay, so 0% is irrelevant. I understand that this is driven by seller’s expectations, but they seem to expect the market from 3-4 years ago and not the current one.

@Shinus73 I understand what you are saying and I do agree on occasions, however if you take an example of the last auction Lot 12 (which was the first sovereign not sold) - this lot started at £400 -1852 Shield Back Victoria Sovereign reserve was £470. I have just done a search online and cannot find a single sovereign of this year under £515 advertised that is in stock. Prices will always be varied. I agree sometimes they are too high, and some times very reasonably priced. The coin didn't sell, but what I've come to realise is just because something doesn't sell - it doesn't mean the price is too high. The same coin could easily sell for £550 in another auction. We have had this happen on so many occasions. The reserve has been lowered and then it sold for much higher than the initial reserve.  It just depends on the audience on that day, the image and a number of other factors including gold price on the day, and outside events which are not always in our control. We can start every Lot at £1.00 but if the reserves is £500 and the highest bid is £300 it won't sell. 

If there are any customers on here that would like to submit their coins at 10% below the gold price or even at spot, and let them run without reserve we are very interested in hearing from you. Please do get in touch. 

0800 169 1066

12 minutes ago, CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions said:

If there are any customers on here that would like to submit their coins at 10% below the gold price or even at spot, and let them run without reserve we are very interested in hearing from you. Please do get in touch. 

Clearly, under these circumstances, I prefer buying to selling. 🙂

@Shinus73 Running this monthly auction and finding those customers who are willing to put their coins up without some type of reserve is extremely difficult. We do get collections submitted where we are given the reigns to sell and list at the prices we believe are fair, but as you can appreciate it's not easy to provide that month in month out. 

We really do appreciate everyone who takes the time to look and bid though and we will keep striving to get the bargains in there. 😜👍 Hopefully you'll see more of these as we grow. 

FWIW I’ve enjoyed your auctions thus far.  Have purchased a few bits including a couple of special years in your latest auction on Wednesday last. I love the 0% buyers premium and really do think it sets you apart from other auctions. Didn’t like paying postage twice for items bought in the same auction but maybe they’re not sent together? Sellers want assurances, buyers want bargains. Can’t please everyone all of the time so for now, I enjoy what you’ve put together and where the pricing is right (for me) I’ll keep bidding. Thanks Louise/Dan 👍🏼

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Perhaps I am naïve, but I am genuinely interested in why you think this way.  Please do not take it as criticism.  I want to learn.

Gaming Theory, the branch of mathematics that covers this sort of thing, shows that collaboration is always better for the bidders than isolation.

If isolated bidders will always pay more on average, why keep your intentions secret?  Possible reasons I can think of (some more valid than others):

• You do not want to advertise to others what you consider might be a bargain.
  • You believe someone else might risk purchasing an item they do not want, just to drive up the price to spite you.
  • You believe sellers would use the information to increase their prices.
  • You think you can beat the average by being the lone wolf.  'Better to pay more on ten items to get that one bargain.'
  • Privacy-related "it's no one else's business" social etiquette.
  • Or similarly, a moral code where you believe it is unfair to collaborate.

Have I missed anything?

Again, I am not condoning either approach.  I am just interested.

Completely nailed it.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

4 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Perhaps I am naïve, but I am genuinely interested in why you think this way.  Please do not take it as criticism.  I want to learn.

Gaming Theory, the branch of mathematics that covers this sort of thing, shows that collaboration is always better for the bidders than isolation.

If isolated bidders will always pay more on average, why keep your intentions secret?  Possible reasons I can think of (some more valid than others):

• You do not want to advertise to others what you consider might be a bargain.
  • You believe someone else might risk purchasing an item they do not want, just to drive up the price to spite you.
  • You believe sellers would use the information to increase their prices.
  • You think you can beat the average by being the lone wolf.  'Better to pay more on ten items to get that one bargain.'
  • Privacy-related "it's no one else's business" social etiquette.
  • Or similarly, a moral code where you believe it is unfair to collaborate.

Have I missed anything?

Again, I am not condoning either approach.  I am just interested.

Just the first one.

I keep it very simple. I have a maximum I will go to for any given coin. I don’t understand how telling somebody that I intend to bid on it would help me.

Having just stumbled across this thread, there is one major thing are am not comfortable with.  

Collaboration with other TSF members might benefit the bidder, but will definitely not benefit the seller. 

Imagine if this was happening on a TSF auction. No one would ever put anything up for auction again. This would destroy any trust.  I am sure Chris wouldn't stand for it.

The whole point of an auction is the fun of winning and hopefully still get a deal.   Telling others what you want to bid on in the hope that others step aside for you is underhanded tactics against the sellers.   

Remember without sellers, there be no auction.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

On 02/09/2023 at 16:21, CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions said:

Running this monthly auction and finding those customers who are willing to put their coins up without some type of reserve is extremely difficult. We do get collections submitted where we are given the reigns to sell and list at the prices we believe are fair, but as you can appreciate it's not easy to provide that month in month out. 

We really do appreciate everyone who takes the time to look and bid though and we will keep striving to get the bargains in there. 😜👍 Hopefully you'll see more of these as we grow. 

Good morning Louise, and first of all thanks for your posts. Its always great in my opionion to be able to communicate directly with an auctioneer...

I have a couple of comments with regard to your auctions (i think i bought a couple of times in the past);

- as pointed already, 0% commission works more on menthal basis than concretely.. assuming all bidders are participating with a fully awareness of the value of lots/coins, they will just adjust their maximum bid-s according to the rights on hammer... but, as you surely know, an auction brings also variuos irrational aspects, and the 0% commission has indeed a strong impact...but if you correctly want to be "tempting" for the buyers (and thats where i have been criticising in the past) i dont understand why sometimes (often?) your starting prices are just "finished" ones. I'm ok with a reserve, which will always protect the owner of a lot, but i know from personal experience that i m much more interested and intrigued in participating (just inventing..) to a lot where my maximum final bid/limit is 500gbp if this lot starts at 300 rather than 480. Everyone that participates in an auction wants (or likes to think he's going to) get a bargain. Even few pounds. Otherwise why bothering? there are dealers around, and severals, for fixed and "finished" prices. Also, when you are in a bid war, you might end (it happened to me few times) up paying more (sometimes much more!) than your original maximum limit. Bid fever i call it. Too high entring prices kill all of that

- why are all of your lots listed randomly? what would be the advantage on that? sometimes i have few time to check auctions and lots and if they are listed in a chronological (or per type) order i can quickly assess if there s something i m interested in. When it comes to CoTR i find the list confusing and time consuming, and i risk to miss something i m interested in (and that is a potential loss for you)

hope this helps, best regards

Alberto

Edited by refero

@refero Hi Alberto - We do start most Lots lower than the reserve now, there have been some occasions when we have started Lots at the reserve but like most young auctions we have tested different methods to see what works best for our auction. In an ideal world we would start every Lot low and let them run, but for obvious reasons that cannot happen all the time. Sometimes, it does and I love to watch the bidding then. I wish more people would take a gamble and try this as it can achieve much greater results. We are also aware how frustrating it can be to bid on a lot, be the highest bidder and lose to the reserve. Hence why sometimes we start nearer the reserve. I do assure you it's not as simple as people think it is keeping  everyone happy. 

I am sorry to hear that the mix up of the Lots puts you off as I get many customers telling me they prefer it this way. The advantage of mixing the lots is exactly opposite to what you have said -exposure. More people view coins they might not if they were in perfect order. Many tell me that it's more interesting to watch too, and another reason we do it like that is because every month we get last minute consignments. So if we organised it as you suggest (like every other auction) we would not be able to accept last minute consignments. Also, in this case duplications they could not be accepted as this would compromise the coin next to it.  So mixing up means we can separate those duplicates. If you view the auction at the beginning and we have 120 lots - often that can end up being 160 lots by the end of the auction. Again, in an ideal world people would consign months in advance. Unfortunately, most do not. This auction is NOT supported by our own stock. The auction is mostly consigners, supported by a few dealers.

If you are looking for a specific denomination e.g.  Sovereigns -you can use the search bar to do this. 

I have come to realise you can't please everyone all of the time- I hope one day you might change your mind and give us another try. 

Best regards

Louise

I've just come across your platform, thanks to the TSF Forum.

Two questions. 

In what way do TSF members benefit financially from bidding successfully, or selling?

Frequency of auctions, and next one up?

• Founder & Administrator
15 hours ago, Divmad said:

In what way do TSF members benefit financially from bidding successfully, or selling?

There are different vouchers available for different Premium Members groups when bidding and auctioning at COR, please see the topic below for full details and break downs:

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme