• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Coronation Sovereign of HM King Charles III 2023

• Foster88 changed the title to The Coronation Sovereign of HM King Charles III 2023
5 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I’m not sure if any other members have posted about this but it has been released by The Royal Mint that there will be a Coronation Sovereign.

I take from this that there will be, of course, aside from the STOD 6th May 2023 Sovereign, a new Coronation proof sovereign and a bullion sovereign to come.

Maybe we won’t see a return to the usual St.George and dragon sovereign until 2024?

The above question being rhetorical, of course.

Wether you collect, buy, trade or whiteness the posts here on the forum in passing fleet, we truly are living through history at the moment.

You might say or think that it’s the 1901 of today when Edward VII was King on the death of his mother or the moment when George V came to the throne in (1910) his coronation was 1911 or maybe in 1937 when George VI ascended the the throne.

The point is, I could go on, but I don’t want to.

The passing of one monarch to the next, however sad on a family level and on personal level is difficult. I as many members have had my share of grief.

But, move on we must and not a year ago could I imagine people trading and advising on Charles III coins. That’s how fast time goes.

Anyway, here we are, Coronation Day. 6th May 2023.

This might just be the one to own.

I’m going to say, dare I? Oh go on, watch this space….

We really are living through history at present.

042B0896-7FD2-401E-8154-47C7F1FC3DAA.jpeg

There has been no better time to be alive, fit and healthy and a sovereign collector.  We have truly witnessed history in the making, the Jubliee of our longest serving monarch, the sad passing of QEII, rightly commemorated with the Memorial sovereign and now we will see the Coronation of King Charles III.     

The 2022 Jubilee, Memorial and Coronation sovereign sets will be legacy set, and when you look back at 1887, 1902, 1911, 1937 all these historic set was minted in vastly more numbers,  we have people today saying the mintage of Sovereigns are too high......Compared to what?   Certainly not Jubilee and Coronation proof sets as years gone by.  

I agree. I hope after the Coronation Sovereign, the Royal Mint just leaves the Sovereign alone.

It is the only really classic coin with a continuous history of over a century, and it doesn’t need to be modernised annually to be relevant.

The RM should just stop with it. There are numerous other coins and ranges they can play with.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

I agree. I hope after the Coronation Sovereign, the Royal Mint just leaves the Sovereign alone.

It is the only really classic coin with a continuous history of over a century, and it doesn’t need to be modernised annually to be relevant.

The RM should just stop with it. There are numerous other coins and ranges they can play with.

Are you sure I can't tempt you with a nice star wars sov? 😜 perhaps luke riding in to slay vader as a classical twist

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

2 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

The sovereign is turning into the Brit, new design every year.    Historical sovereigns are special because they are one offs, the royal mint are churning out different designs and watering it down so much it will kill off collecting of the normal person

I think the change of the reverse design in 2022 and now 2023 has just coincided with events. It might seem like the sovereign reverse design is being changed too much but soon it will revert back to St.George and dragon.

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

We was always going to get something different for the Jubilee of our longest and likely last Jubilee of her reign……Fact and we all would be up set if they did nothing.

the Memorial was squeezed in there and already had been signed off in her reign.  (A truly stunning £5 in hand). And no way was I missing a new proof sovereign with a new monarch. 

And…..now it’s the coronation and we have gone back to the George and the Dragon with a coronation obverse…….what’s not to like about that.  

I think and hope it the sovereign cools off a bit and we go back to normal for a few years…….saying that I would like  shield back bullion sovereigns with die numbers 

At a very simple level (me) they are all lovely coins almost works of art and will be treasured in years to come when we are bored with G&D 

5 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

The sovereign is turning into the Brit, new design every year.    Historical sovereigns are special because they are one offs, the royal mint are churning out different designs and watering it down so much it will kill off collecting of the normal person

To a casual collector of bullion sovereigns for mainly asset diversification like myself, it’s hard to keep track of what’s out there.

Having decided to steer clear of proof collecting and divested what Proof’s I had to focus purely on bullion, whenever I log in and see news of new sovereigns, it plays havoc with my OCD trying to cover what’s there for date runs. One sovereign coin per year from 2024 please would be great for me. I love boring coins 🙂

4 hours ago, ZigZag said:

To a casual collector of bullion sovereigns for mainly asset diversification like myself, it’s hard to keep track of what’s out there.

Having decided to steer clear of proof collecting and divested what Proof’s I had to focus purely on bullion, whenever I log in and see news of new sovereigns, it plays havoc with my OCD trying to cover what’s there for date runs. One sovereign coin per year from 2024 please would be great for me. I love boring coins 🙂

Im finding it difficult to keep up with everything financially at the moment. And now i see theres going to be a bullion coronation sovereign aswell?!?!?! 🙈

The Jubilee Sovereign – Yes!

The Memorial Sovereign – Yes!

The Charles III Coronation Sovereign – Sorry no I’m just not interested in this one at all. I’ll be buying regular 'best value' Sovereigns from now on.

IMG_1836.JPG

Edited by EdwardTeach

16 minutes ago, EdwardTeach said:

The Jubilee Sovereign – Yes!

The Memorial Sovereign – Yes!

The Charles III Coronation Sovereign – Sorry no I’m just not interested in this one at all. I’ll be buying regular best value Sovereigns from now on.

IMG_1836.JPG

I only like to keep my bullion full sovereigns up to date. Proof sovereign i only get what i like or takes my fancy. 

On 06/05/2023 at 13:46, ZigZag said:

and the different threads...

maybe some more merging by mods is required?

On 06/05/2023 at 08:27, Cornishfarmer said:

I take your point, particularly about it killing off collecting for the normal person. My concern is the issue prices of recent sovereign releases. The specials create extra customer demand hence the RM can name its price and we buy them if we can afford to do so. Should we decline the opportunity to buy, then FOMO along with even a short passage of time might make us think what was I doing not grabbing one when they were “so cheap” at issue price? The spot price of gold remains high into the bargain yet the baseline issue prices of even regular proof sovereigns will continue to increase regardless of spot or specials.

Sovereign collecting becomes more and more expensive and I feel that this will divert new collectors of proofs on to half sovs rather than full ones (purely because of affordability). The alternative is to collect bullion coins of course. 

With specials being the new norm in the last year or so (as determined by Royal events) I wonder how long it will be before we’re talking about special specials (2022 and 2023 for example) as opposed to normal specials or pretty average specials (2002 and 2005 I dare say with apologies)?

Interesting times, but let’s get back to traditional rather than modern anytime soon please. God save the King (at least until we’re ready for more specials) 😉

I would not be too concerned about so many one off reverse designs on the sovereign if it was exclusively for the proof version.

Using the same design on the bullion sovereigns whilst charging x2+ for proof sovereigns is plain wrong.

The RM has adversely affected the collectability of the Proof Britannias by doing so.

11 minutes ago, goldhunter said:

I would not be too concerned about so many one off reverse designs on the sovereign if it was exclusively for the proof version.

Using the same design on the bullion sovereigns whilst charging x2+ for proof sovereigns is plain wrong.

The RM has adversely affected the collectability of the Proof Britannias by doing so.

It’s down to personal choice and goals. Price and value are two different things, if you don’t see any value in proof sovereigns then it’s very likely you won’t return any value so bullion is a better option for you.

I’ll pick up a few tubs of special year reverse  bullion sovereigns as they normally hold a slightly higher premium over time.  Proof sovereigns for me a joy to collect and there’s zero pain in holding them.  

Collecting at both ends of the sovereign spectrum hedges its self.   Tubes of jubilees were £8,300.  And proof Jubilee  £5 were moving for £5,500-£6,000 each the fulls were £950-£1000 each ……..what’s the problem here?    

The proof Jubilees have done very well, the memorial is a first, but it’s such a nice deign especially in the larger £5.  

As for the price I don’t care, the value of holding the memorial proof sovereign set of a new monarch  is well worth more to me than the  price I paid. 

Using the biggest £5 gold sovereign in a plastic coffin in PF70 makes it a specific, unitized, limited supply, limited demand commodity of its own once there isn't a ready available supply of them on the market. 

For the sake of easy visualisation, and easy maths, think of it as a £5000 note. It is a unit of assumed and proven value due to past quotable auction sales.

As they get less and less frequent appear it gets to supply Vs demand. 

It is once supply out strips demand expect rise. 

Once supply is more than demand expect falls

Nice thing with biggest special event and unique £5 sovereigns is a proven 200 year history 

Value doesn't sometimes happen overnight and you need to be patient and hold for the long term

Add in gold spot price slowly rising as it should, this will give you added uplift to 

@Paul correct mate some are becoming like crypto holders and if it doesn’t move 30% in a day then it’s no good if people are looking for this they are in the wrong game.    I’d say to anyone first try and enjoy this interest and it opens so my doors of learning, finance, history, real world economics of the supply and demand you mentioned, and not forgetting the great social side of this interest. 

Even if gold went to zero tomorrow, my life won’t change one bit, I’d have some nice coins to look at and I’d have a brew and go and take the dog for a walk, would not stop me from living like any other day. 

Some have bought into this market at a more precarious level with unrealistic goals, and they can’t afford to hold what they have bought this is the same for PM stackers as well. 

It’s all about what you want from this interest,  it’s a free eduction, sometimes you have to pay for it when you make the wrong decision, but it’s a far better eduction and cheaper than a 60-80k student loan. 

3 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:With specials being the new norm in the last year or so (as determined by Royal events) I wonder how long it will be before we’re talking about special specials (2022 and 2023 for example) as opposed to normal specials or pretty average specials (2002 and 2005 I dare say with apologies)?

How dare you…absolute blasphemy…those 2002’s are the best looking special going 😉

2 minutes ago, JamesH said:

How dare you…absolute blasphemy…those 2002’s are the best looking special going 😉

I think you'll see a natural uplift in 2005 and 2002 as diamonds in the rough as 'eyes are off the prize' so to speak as folk chase the latest shiny shiny new release. 1989 £5 wasn't loved for a long while.

super popular now.

If you had an NGC box of x20 1989 £5 in 70s at rough guesstimate £6000 each rough value you've £120,000 of value (or a 3 bed semi house in my area) in less than a square foot off safe deposit real estate

Take your profit from your 1989s and corner the market buying up the unloved  2002s and 2005s gold £5 with your profits and enjoy the ride moon-ward ! 

2012 was totally unloved at time of release now flavour of the month in £5 PF70 it's a £6000 note now in less than 1000 mintage 

34 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

correct mate some are becoming like crypto holders and if it doesn’t move 30% in a day then it’s no good if people are looking for this they are in the wrong game.    I’d say to anyone first try and enjoy this interest and it opens so my doors of learning, finance, history, real world economics of the supply and demand you mentioned, and not forgetting the great social side of this interest. 

i quote you 100% on that, but on the other side i dont understand why, as we talk about memorial sovs, people get nervous. I personally bought both the bullion and the proof, and as collector i would never have missed them, and i never got them with the idea to make a profit out of them. Having said that i see how things are developping (memorial still available everywhere, i see the prices they make etc etc) and as of today i dont think its going to be that hell of investment. Too many around, squeezed between a Jubilee emission and a coronation year. 

In 5 years?  i have no idea. In 10 years? no idea. But if i see how the jubilee is performing (unslabbed ones go for double the emission price) and how memorial is performing i have no doubt about which one i would call a wise investment.

It is also not correct in my opinion mentioning today, to strenghten a reasoning, how 1989 or 2002-2005-2012 are performing. 

1989 has been totally ignored for 20 years. If things were so clear i ask myself why people have not bought dozens when they were that cheap...??

2002-5-12 are becoming more and more sought after only recently, and the recent sad passing of QEII plays a key role on that.

Edited by refero

1 hour ago, refero said:

i quote you 100% on that, but on the other side i dont understand why, as we talk about memorial sovs, people get nervous. I personally bought both the bullion and the proof, and as collector i would never have missed them, and i never got them with the idea to make a profit out of them. Having said that i see how things are developping (memorial still available everywhere, i see the prices they make etc etc) and as of today i dont think its going to be that hell of investment. Too many around, squeezed between a Jubilee emission and a coronation year. 

In 5 years?  i have no idea. In 10 years? no idea. But if i see how the jubilee is performing (unslabbed ones go for double the emission price) and how memorial is performing i have no doubt about which one i would call a wise investment.

It is also not correct in my opinion mentioning today, to strenghten a reasoning, how 1989 or 2002-2005-2012 are performing. 

1989 has been totally ignored for 20 years. If things were so clear i ask myself why people have not bought dozens when they were that cheap...??

2002-5-12 are becoming more and more sought after only recently, and the recent sad passing of QEII plays a key role on that.

Personally though the IRB effigy isn't my favourite. I do wonder what everyone's opinions are on the various portraits of our late Queen as some seem to be more popular than others.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.