• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 proof sovereigns

refero

13 hours ago, Timberwolf said:

I'm skipping this release. I just don't think that Charles III coins are in demand, nor will they ever be in demand. Queen Elizabeth II was special, I have many sets of the Jubilee sovereign, and happy to hold these and pass them to to family.

In one year, 5 years or 10 years, just how many people will be willing to pay extreme premiums for Charles III coins? What does he represent worldwide? Exactly.

This is exactly what people said of the 1989 sovereign at its release.

Now look at how well it is doing.

The Platinum Jubilee proof sovereign of most denominations didn’t immediately sell out in November 2021. It took a few days.

I agree with your statement that the late Queen was special. But so is this new release of Charles III sovereigns.

Why?

He was Britain’s longest Prince of Wales.

He’s also Britain’s oldest ‘ever’ monarch, by age, to be crowned.

He also started The Princes Trust which has done great things.

He’s also a great advocate against climate change.

He sadly won’t likely see any significant Jubilees which means, no special releases. As we have seen many of as of late.

Charles III’s reign may be seen as Edward VII’s reign.

In the coming years, we’ll go back to the usual, standard George and Dragon reverse with an uncrowned King sovereign.

You’re skipping an opportunity to own a piece of history because of personal opinion.

Now, remind me again, how are 1902 Edward VII Matt proof sovereigns doing?

9 hours ago, Timberwolf said:

The mintage for the Charles III 2023 proof coins is higher than the Platinum Jubilee sets. Which do you think will be rarer and more popular? ;)

My point was if Charles’s coins aren’t as popular as QE II’s, and therefore don’t sell out, the actual mintages could end up being lower than the Jubilee mintages.

As for rarity vs popularity… the former is objective, factual, and unchanging; the latter is subjective and fluctuating.

Edited by westminstrel

On 16/06/2023 at 19:50, Foster88 said:

The Platinum Jubilee proof sovereign of most denominations didn’t immediately sell out in November 2021. It took a few days.

I agree with your statement that the late Queen was special. But so is this new release of Charles III sovereigns.

Why?

He sadly won’t likely see any significant Jubilees which means, no special releases. As we have seen many of as of late.

In the coming years, we’ll go back to the usual, standard George and Dragon reverse with an uncrowned King sovereign.

You’re skipping an opportunity to own a piece of history because of personal opinion.

Very good pints!  For the reasons you stated, I believe these will be pieces of history to hold on to.  Add the coronation sovereigns to the Queen's Jubilee and memorial sovereigns and you really have something special.  Glad I own them, including the SOTD sovereigns.

I’m of a like mind with @JeffM and am fortunate to have a couple sets of the four sovereigns mentioned above.  

I received notice today that my KCIII proof sovs are shipping today - that’s probably no big deal to you boys in the UK, but mine are on the way!🎉🎊

On 17/06/2023 at 01:50, Foster88 said:

Why?

Indeed. The King represents almost all good parts of this country. He's about heritage, continuity, national unity, and all that once was that will still be for ages to come. People talk about a declining Britain under his (and our late Queen's) reign, but really is it the old ways that caused this decline, or our contemporary divergence therefrom?

The 1902 matt proof aren't doing exactly well though. The mintage was too high compared to 1911 or 1937, and the unique matt finish is partially why they're all graded very low. I think they're underperforming and am going to grab a few more.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Received my Quarter sov today and I thinknit is damaged, but am I being to fussy? Scratches near horses legs on reverse and on the obverse, marks by the L in Charles. Hard to see in my pictures. What do you all think?

20230621_083328.jpg

20230621_083259.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Sc391 said:

I just noticed that these are sold out at the RM.  When did that happen?  

I also spotted that the full sovereign proof had sold out at the Royal Mint yesterday. With such a high mintage I was pleasantly surprised and hopefully it shows that the market is still quite strong. It will be interesting to see the prices for PF70s on the secondary market when they come back from grading in a couple of months. Although the Coronation sovereign is very historic and will definitely remain part of my collection I still prefer the design of the memorial sovereign which remains one of my all time favourites.

thing is Memorial in PF70 are currently being sold around 680 gbp, which is (if i m not mistaken) the original RM price on November 2022.

I read somewhere that out of 19,000 (total mintage) around 70% are likely to get the PF70 certification. Not exactly something that will become rare in the future 

i dont get the point in rushing for a slab for coins like these. where is the scarcity, rarity etc etc? they are all (almost) pf70!....

Edited by refero

2 hours ago, refero said:

thing is Memorial in PF70 are currently being sold around 680 gbp, which is (if i m not mistaken) the original RM price on November 2022.

I read somewhere that out of 19,000 (total mintage) around 70% are likely to get the PF70 certification. Not exactly something that will become rare in the future 

i dont get the point in rushing for a slab for coins like these. where is the scarcity, rarity etc etc? they are all (almost) pf70!....

Although I still have belief in the long term performance of the memorial sovereign proof I agree with @refero that current values for PF70s are low and about 10 days ago I even saw one sell for just £610 plus post on eBay.

10 hours ago, Chrisplym said:

I also spotted that the full sovereign proof had sold out at the Royal Mint yesterday. With such a high mintage I was pleasantly surprised and hopefully it shows that the market is still quite strong. It will be interesting to see the prices for PF70s on the secondary market when they come back from grading in a couple of months. Although the Coronation sovereign is very historic and will definitely remain part of my collection I still prefer the design of the memorial sovereign which remains one of my all time favourites.

If the quality of them all are the same as the quarters I've had I doubt many will gain a PF70.

5 minutes ago, REILsilver said:

If the quality of them all are the same as the quarters I've had I doubt many will gain a PF70.

Yes, I would also be surprised if most gained a PF70. I believe that those that have been graded have been carefully selected and only the good ones sent. 

On 02/07/2023 at 08:31, Paul said:

RM have maybe sold them off in bulk to USA or far east ?? 

Just noticed on APMEX (USA), they're now selling the 1/4, 1/2, Whole Proof Sovereigns and the 3 and 5 coin sets.

Can't figure out exactly when this started but probably in the past 1-3 days if I'm guessing.

3 hours ago, PhoenixCollector20 said:

Just noticed on APMEX (USA), they're now selling the 1/4, 1/2, Whole Proof Sovereigns and the 3 and 5 coin sets.

Can't figure out exactly when this started but probably in the past 1-3 days if I'm guessing.

That's annoying, they have just refunded me for one of mine instead of sending a replacement. I am presuming that if I now send back this other damaged one I will not get a replacement for it either. Poor show from the royal mint in my opinion. 

On 02/07/2023 at 02:37, Chrisplym said:

I fully agree on the memorial, it's such a beautiful design, that's the one my family have commented most on, they know nothing about coins but gravitate to that one.

It's the first sov of a new monarch so I can't see it not being valuable long term and I'm keeping my eye out for cheap graded doubles and quintuples, I think people will be kicking themselves for missing these later on

59 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

I fully agree on the memorial, it's such a beautiful design, that's the one my family have commented most on, they know nothing about coins but gravitate to that one.

It's the first sov of a new monarch so I can't see it not being valuable long term and I'm keeping my eye out for cheap graded doubles and quintuples, I think people will be kicking themselves for missing these later on

My next saved £3500 will be another memorial 5sov PF70 soon 

On 02/07/2023 at 15:09, Chrisplym said:

Although I still have belief in the long term performance of the memorial sovereign proof I agree with @refero that current values for PF70s are low and about 10 days ago I even saw one sell for just £610 plus post on eBay.

Buy when there's blood in the streets

Dear to borrow

Holiday summer season

Cost of living 

Hikes in prices of everything

Mortgage increases

General uncertainty

No free COVID funny money bounce back loans floating around 

Food and utility prices up

Flippers needing to flip to pay their credit card

Flippers needing funds back from grading to rinse and repeat on next release/experiment 

Yes, prices have taken a dip past few months. But more than likely due to all the reasons above. It doesn't detract from it being what it is

Having courage in your convictions. In five or ten years time when they are few and far between I just don't see how this is a losser long term. If you're prepared to go against the current heard and general market sentiment. 

The design is stunning regardless of current prices, HODL the biggest 5SOV pieces it'll reward you 

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Buy when there's blood in the streets

Dear to borrow

Holiday summer season

Cost of living 

Hikes in prices of everything

Mortgage increases

General uncertainty

No free COVID funny money bounce back loans floating around 

Food and utility prices up

Flippers needing to flip to pay their credit card

Flippers needing funds back from grading to rinse and repeat on next release/experiment 

Yes, prices have taken a dip past few months. But more than likely due to all the reasons above. It doesn't detract from it being what it is

Having courage in your convictions. In five or ten years time when they are few and far between I just don't see how this is a losser long term. If you're prepared to go against the current heard and general market sentiment. 

The design is stunning regardless of current prices, HODL the biggest 5SOV pieces it'll reward you 

They're going cheaper than 3500, a pf 70 went here for 3250 and that took a while There's another one up for sale that I suspect is about to recieve an offer of slightly less to test their resolve 😗

Just now, apachebleu said:

They're going cheaper than 3500, a pf 70 went here for 3250 and that took a while There's another one up for sale that I suspect is about to recieve an offer of slightly less to test their resolve 😗

I'll hoover when sentiment is low.

When theres no plans to offload in 10+years and confident in my picks

I'll keep hoovering :)