• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 proof sovereigns

refero

Let’s not forget the inevitable price hike too.

The prices have been steadily increasing with each release, as if the premiums on proofs aren’t already high enough, and I bet the RM will the raise prices of the Coronation Proof range too.

That’s another aspect that will work against this range.

26 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Bullion all the way for me this year now.

Came out of the traps like a greyhound on heat this year and almost done my budget till Christmas.

Sounds familar!

I'm searching the sofa's for more change 😆

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

6 hours ago, BullionBuyerUK said:

From the info I've received, prices are as follows:

Quarter = £235

Half = £385

Full = £725

Piedfort = £1305

3 Coin = £1140

4 Coin = Royal Mint exclusive 

5 Coin = £5725

5 Piece = £2975

Thanks!

And I should’ve put money on my wager about the price increasing!!! 😐

The moment they charged £850 for the SotD, I saw this coming. 

15 hours ago, Frenchie said:

With all these releases in the last 9 months (Jubilee range, Jubilee Sovereign , Pattern, SOTDs, Memorial, £5, Piedfort,  Coronation Range, Coronation Sovereigns...) , this is like an endless race with FOMO and wallets are really put to the test and leads (at least for me) to some collector fatigue. 

Difficult choices today between enjoying life, taking some rest  with its little pleasures and  greed that pushes us to buy these highly priced coins  with FOMO which will finally go in a safety box for years 🙄 

The high mintages won't help in the short term. But the Coronation Sovereign will certainly be History and really sought after in the years to come... (as the 1989s) 

But I probably need to take some breath ! 

Is it a shared feeling ? 

Absolutely! I decided to take early retirement last year, safe in the knowledge that my cash savings should comfortably carry me through until when I want to claim some of my smaller pensions. Then the Queen passed away after the Platinum Jubilee release and then all of the other releases came out and I blew most of my spare cash on just some of them. My fault for liking quintuples and for not taking into account the death of Her Majesty when pension planning.

On 18/05/2023 at 00:56, westminstrel said:

If these figures are correct, it would seem they’ve increased the mintages of the Sovereign, Half Sovereign and Quarter Sovereign quite a margin compared to the Memorial range.

The Piedfort, £5 Proof and £5 Matte are lower.

Those mintages seem strange to me. I thought that the special one-off design of the Memorial sov series, along with the first effigy of KCIII would lead the RM to anticipate more demand for the Memorial sov itself rather than the forthcoming 2023 regular series. We know that the demand for that high number of Memorial sovs simply wasn’t there and the large numbers which were still available on the RM website just before the cut off date suddenly vanished overnight, presumably palmed off for others to sell on the Mint’s behalf.

I struggle to see why almost 20,000 regular 2023 sovereigns will sell better than the Memorial ones. Granted that the info passed to @Frenchie is not from an official source, we don’t know if that mintage number is LE or MCM and we don’t know the price. In comparison the Memorial sov cost £695 and the mintages were 17,500 LE and 23,160 MCM. It will be interesting to watch events whenever they’re on sale. It was kind of Frenchie to share what he was told though.

The suggested lower mintages of the Piedfort and the £5 coins seem sensible though.

Edited by GoodAsGold

14 hours ago, BOOLIAN said:

One thing that I know for sure is that I will not be submitting myself to the pains of a multiple coin proof set for this one. I'm still recovering from my 3 exchanges for the Memorial set 🙃

I don’t see the problem myself. The box will be a work of art and will even have a QC sticker on it 😀

On 18/05/2023 at 01:13, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

And the matt £5 will have lower mintage than the proof. If I recall correctly the respective versions of Platinum Jubilee and Memorial £5 had the same mintages

Also completely the same as I'd guessed a while ago, hardly any surprising.

I think that the Platinum Jubilee proof £5 sovereign/Quintuple had a limited edition of 700 coins which were only available in the 5 coin box sets. Not 100% sure though. The MCM wouldn’t be many more.

The Memorial proof £5 sovereign/Quintuple had a limited edition of 1,200 coins and a MCM of 1,230. You’re right about the matte version having a lower mintage than the proof version, namely 1,000 limited edition coins and 1,010 MCM which numbers Westminstrel has since confirmed.

Mintages? Prices? Available to order date? Month you actually receive your order?

I don’t like all of this speculation. But you have to speculate to accumulate, as the saying goes.

On 18/05/2023 at 20:30, GoodAsGold said:

Mintages? Prices? Available to order date? Month you actually receive your order?

I don’t like all of this speculation. But you have to speculate to accumulate, as the saying goes.

I've been told that the individual proof Sovereigns and sets are expected to be released in June.

2 hours ago, JeffM said:

I've been told that the individual proof Sovereigns and sets are expected to be released in June.

I just found out that it looks like the individual proof sovereigns and sets will be released in June 2023, with the Piedfort Sovereign and Brilliant Uncirculated 5 Sovereign Piece to follow in July.

Dealers seem to be selling RM coins at issue price (or less).  Not only will they inspect the coins before sending them to you, but you will also avoid the frustrating queue.  It will take a little longer to get the coins, but it may be worth saving the hassle and frustration to many people.

Torn and can't decide about the upcoming coronation set for the reasons mentioned. 

If I was tempted, I'd be aiming at either the £5 piece because of the low mintage, or the 4 coin set because it's limited to certain members. 

I think the sets will appreciate over time, but do I think they will stand the test of time? Not particularly. History tells us one story, but the world is a different place and everything is so accessible with the Web at your fingertips. The premiums for older coins are not just because of their mark in history - in my opinion, the circumstances also make them more attractive and bump the premium. There was no Internet and likely no returns process, so you got what you got and the collector pool was miniscule in comparison to today's market. When you take those two things alone into consideration, you can appreciate the premiums applied to decently graded coins from those eras. 

Like I said, I think they will appreciate, but the higher mintages will also be easy to acquire on numerous market places and Auction sites. For me, the key is going to be in the mintage numbers irrespective of what people think about coins now eg, the 5 piece BU doesn't get hyped to the same degree as the sets and proofs, but they are impressive in the hand and at 650 minted, they might be worth the £1k premium. 

12 minutes ago, BiigT said:

Torn and can't decide about the upcoming coronation set for the reasons mentioned. 

If I was tempted, I'd be aiming at either the £5 piece because of the low mintage, or the 4 coin set because it's limited to certain members. 

I think the sets will appreciate over time, but do I think they will stand the test of time? Not particularly. History tells us one story, but the world is a different place and everything is so accessible with the Web at your fingertips. The premiums for older coins are not just because of their mark in history - in my opinion, the circumstances also make them more attractive and bump the premium. There was no Internet and likely no returns process, so you got what you got and the collector pool was miniscule in comparison to today's market. When you take those two things alone into consideration, you can appreciate the premiums applied to decently graded coins from those eras. 

Like I said, I think they will appreciate, but the higher mintages will also be easy to acquire on numerous market places and Auction sites. For me, the key is going to be in the mintage numbers irrespective of what people think about coins now eg, the 5 piece BU doesn't get hyped to the same degree as the sets and proofs, but they are impressive in the hand and at 650 minted, they might be worth the £1k premium. 

Riches in niches to be had.

You make a valid point  KC on the head might be a proverbial " turd in the punchbowl " for these. 

These are the best of the best chance to do potentially well in his coronation year, first year proof set. SOTD coronation etc

Wind forward six months KC with the next series in harry potter, Emma Watson Hermione 2oz gold for £5.5k ??? Or the next Mr men series

Errrr I doubt it 

I'm expecting little love of KC personally. I'd expect focus will move into current trends

Historical top grade sovereigns are out the park

Big money coins in highest grade are flying

Like everything, listen learn read and adjust

But unloved today's,may be future classics 

I can't disagree with your views Paul - just as plausible if not more convincing. I do keep promising myself an 1817 sov and a William IV. Both would come with high premiums, but I wonder whether I could get both for the £3k I'm thinking of sinking into the £5 BU? 

Food for thoight

11 minutes ago, BiigT said:

whether I could get both for the £3k I'm thinking of sinking into the £5 BU? 

depends on the quality you are ready to get. 1500 each means a gvf 1817 and a au58 common date/bust William IV

15 minutes ago, BiigT said:

I can't disagree with your views Paul - just as plausible if not more convincing. I do keep promising myself an 1817 sov and a William IV. Both would come with high premiums, but I wonder whether I could get both for the £3k I'm thinking of sinking into the £5 BU? 

Food for thoight

Let someone else  brave the queue, wait, delivery turmoil and hassle, grading journey and wait, and you'll most likely get it for less than RRP list in PF70 coffin six to twelve months in future 

i dont understand this rush in trying to get a pf70. honestly. Unless you are a trader what is the point in buying a coin and burying it in plastic, eventually even without enjoying it for a little bit? i read of TSF members that got the Sotd sovereign and sent it to slab directly through the dealer they bought it from.

to me this is un-understandable

7 minutes ago, refero said:

i dont understand this rush in trying to get a pf70. honestly. Unless you are a trader what is the point in buying a coin and burying it in plastic, eventually even without enjoying it for a little bit? i read of TSF members that got the Sotd sovereign and sent it to slab directly through the dealer they bought it from.

to me this is un-understandable

It’s entirely understandable if you collect and enjoy graded coins, as I do. No fear of damaging the precious cargo every time you fumble to open the original packaging. To each their own.

38 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

It’s entirely understandable if you collect and enjoy graded coins, as I do. No fear of damaging the precious cargo every time you fumble to open the original packaging. To each their own.

Especially with the questionable SOTD boxes. Want to take the capsule out? A bit more focus is required to ensure you don't send it flying.

Although I often buy coins already graded, I never send the raw coins out for grading that I buy from the mint or dealers.  I am a collector and do not buy coins to sell, so I really don't have much interest.  Part of it is the fear that the coin I will send out will come back graded lower than I expected.