• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 proof sovereigns

refero

12 hours ago, Allgoldcoins said:

Yes the Jubilee / memorial and the coronation sovereigns will coins that are sought after years from now. When you think how much sets such as the 1937 4 coin coronation set is worth @20k in good nick, and there was 5 and half thousand of them. The current sets are a 5th of that.

Yes 20k after almost 90 year wait.  I would rather buy some uncirculated early Victorian sovereign

Never Chase and Never Regret 

27 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Mine is stuck somewhere in the UK (Langley!) since mid-May. If you can track it down for me, I’ll split it with you. 😜

With the price of flights as they are it’s cheaper to pay import flipper prices! I’ll maybe wait until the wave of graded coins return and pick one up later in the year. 

Aaaahhh😉

I just receive my SOTD sovereign and I think it look good enough to be graded but I was wondering which grading company do you think it better to send for grading ngc or pcgs?

Ops post on the wrong forum

Edited by jason94151

On 13/06/2023 at 05:44, westminstrel said:

Oh my goodness… I have just had a horrible brainwave after making that facetious statement.

What if the Royal Mint starts striking SotD Half-sovereigns?

Or worse - imagine a complete range of limited edition Five, Double, Full, Half and Quarter SotD Sovereigns.

It would be the last straw.

I will be first in line (queue) to buy a SOTD for Anne Jessopp's birthday!

Oh, what the heck.....I'll also buy one for the head of quality control's birthday!

The 5 coin set is no longer available from the RM, but the rest are still there.  You can even buy the proof sovereign on eBay for £705 which is below the RM's RRP (£725) - oh dear!

I'm skipping this release. I just don't think that Charles III coins are in demand, nor will they ever be in demand. Queen Elizabeth II was special, I have many sets of the Jubilee sovereign, and happy to hold these and pass them to to family.

In one year, 5 years or 10 years, just how many people will be willing to pay extreme premiums for Charles III coins? What does he represent worldwide? Exactly.

2 hours ago, Timberwolf said:

I'm skipping this release. I just don't think that Charles III coins are in demand, nor will they ever be in demand. Queen Elizabeth II was special, I have many sets of the Jubilee sovereign, and happy to hold these and pass them to to family.

In one year, 5 years or 10 years, just how many people will be willing to pay extreme premiums for Charles III coins? What does he represent worldwide? Exactly.

And that current sentiment is exactly what might create rarity of these coins in the future.

In 20 years’ time, will numismatists really care whether Charles was popular or well liked? I doubt it. I expect, just like numismatists (or collectors of anything!) have for decades, they’ll care about whether a coin is rare or not. Nothing else will truly matter.

Food for thought, I suppose. 🙂

5 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

And that current sentiment is exactly what might create rarity of these coins in the future.

In 20 years’ time, will numismatists really care whether Charles was popular or well liked? I doubt it. I expect, just like numismatists (or collectors of anything!) have for decades, they’ll care about whether a coin is rare or not. Nothing else will truly matter.

I was told by someone in oz today that the coronation sov was a ‘flop’.  I don’t think anyone would say it’s a flop. Release fatigue yes. Lack of crazy flipper activity .. yes. But no flop. And a great design. 

Aaaahhh😉

36 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

I was told by someone in oz today that the coronation sov was a ‘flop’.  I don’t think anyone would say it’s a flop. Release fatigue yes. Lack of crazy flipper activity .. yes. But no flop. And a great design. 

I actually like the current state of things. Mintages are (for the most part) not too high, nor too low; and the crazy frenzy on release day to get into the queue or pay double even before release seems to have lessened.

13 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I actually like the current state of things. Mintages are (for the most part) not too high, nor too low; and the crazy frenzy on release day to get into the queue or pay double even before release seems to have lessened.

Agree. Selling out in an hour isnt healthy. 

Aaaahhh😉

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

The mintage for the Charles III 2023 proof coins is higher than the Platinum Jubilee sets. Which do you think will be rarer and more popular? ;)

16 minutes ago, Timberwolf said:

The mintage for the Charles III 2023 proof coins is higher than the Platinum Jubilee sets. Which do you think will be rarer and more popular? ;)

On what time frame?

Aaaahhh😉

Don't forget that on the Charles III coronation coins, he is wearing a crown.  That is rare in and of itself.  That certainly induced me to buy the silver coins plus 3 Sovereigns (SOTD, full, and piedfort).

24 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Don't forget that on the Charles III coronation coins, he is wearing a crown.  That is rare in and of itself.  That certainly induced me to buy the silver coins plus 3 Sovereigns (SOTD, full, and piedfort).

The crowned portrait is what did it for me as well. The last time that featured was well before any of our (or recent ancestors even) lifetimes. 

Also, I quite like Charles. I always felt he was kind of misunderstood and more of a sensitive guy in a family that doesn’t really value that quality to be outwardly displayed. Of course, I’m American so my opinion is from the outside. 

Edited by DTL1982

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

I think this is a great coin for those that like Charles. It's a fantastic coin if you're a fan of him and the age he represents. Those in this category, in my opinion, are buying to hold for many years and pass down through their family.

I'm speaking purely from those looking to buy now and profit from selling in a few months to years. I just don't see there being enough interested buyers willing to pay such a premium for Charles III. With the memorial sovereign coins of Charles III and now these, there are many thousands of proof coins minted. More than enough to satisfy demand for a very long time, certainly beyond the lifetimes of even those buying in their 20's/30's.

Contrast this to Queen Elizabeth II coins. Queen's beasts, platinum jubilee, they are much more popular worldwide and will only get more popular over time. 

I wouldn’t consider myself a fan of the CIII portrait/coins. However, certainly in comparison to his mother, he’s not going to be around very long. Therefore almost by default, should these not become more sought after in the years to come due to the limited number of runs with his face and funny looking hat on?

Throwing it out there.

7 minutes ago, codenamedtango said:

I wouldn’t consider myself a fan of the CIII portrait/coins. However, certainly in comparison to his mother, he’s not going to be around very long. Therefore almost by default, should these not become more sought after in the years to come due to the limited number of runs with his face and funny looking hat on?

Throwing it out there.

Probably not IMO 

If I'm reading the beginnings of the the past year, highest grade QE II sovereigns like gillick portraits are making some serious prices, as the general unlove of Charles continues I'd expect folk just looking to source stuff that simple isn't Charles

With current events creating future trends, what is unloved or unwanted today, doesn't mean it will be so in years to come

IE the 1989 500 years sovereigns. Unloved and unwanted for many many years.

Now, they are to da'mooooooooooooonn prices 

Nobody knows for certain what the future holds 

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

Probably not IMO 

If I'm reading the beginnings of the the past year, highest grade QE II sovereigns like gillick portraits are making some serious prices, as the general unlove of Charles continues I'd expect folk just looking to source stuff that simple isn't Charles

With current events creating future trends, what is unloved or unwanted today, doesn't mean it will be so in years to come

IE the 1989 500 years sovereigns. Unloved and unwanted for many many years.

Now, they are to da'mooooooooooooonn prices 

Nobody knows for certain what the future holds 

It's a big gamble, for those that are hoping Charles coins become more sought after in the future/after his death. I don't see it myself - he's currently at the height of his popularity from how I see it, absolutely not something I'd take a risk on.

Instead, I'll be buying as much bullion as I can (as I simply love stacking gold). The bullion coins I'll purchase will also have crowns on them too, making that feature common and undistinguished. 

9 minutes ago, Timberwolf said:

It's a big gamble, for those that are hoping Charles coins become more sought after in the future/after his death. I don't see it myself - he's currently at the height of his popularity from how I see it, absolutely not something I'd take a risk on.

Instead, I'll be buying as much bullion as I can (as I simply love stacking gold). The bullion coins I'll purchase will also have crowns on them too, making that feature common and undistinguished. 

But in the grand plan of things there is only ever one first proof set for a new monarch.

There's 100% history of every proof set doing exponentially well over the very very long term wether the monarch is liked or not, shame we may need to rely on AI and musk life extension technology to savour the spoils when we are 300 year old and our gold £5s are worth £250,000+ each ;) :(

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

But in the grand plan of things there is only ever one first proof set for a new monarch.

There's 100% history of every proof set doing exponentially well over the very very long term wether the monarch is liked or not, shame we may need to rely on AI and musk life extension technology to savour the spoils when we are 300 year old and our gold £5s are worth £250,000+ each ;) :(

The UK is a very different country with Charles as king, compared to Queen Elizabeth II. India overtook us to become the world's 5 largest economy. The UK is in steep decline.

India was once a former colony of the UK. To think that they've now overtaken us.... Again, I just don't see many collectors wanting a piece of 2023 history Britain. QEII however, different story.

20 minutes ago, Timberwolf said:

The UK is a very different country with Charles as king, compared to Queen Elizabeth II. India overtook us to become the world's 5 largest economy. The UK is in steep decline.

India was once a former colony of the UK. To think that they've now overtaken us.... Again, I just don't see many collectors wanting a piece of 2023 history Britain. QEII however, different story.

I don't really see how this is surprising. Just look at India and look at the UK. I think it's more surprising that we had the Empire in the first place when you consider our native land.

On top of that, I don't think that economy size is really the make-or-break here. India has plenty of systemic, existential, problems that are a lot harder to resolve than a dwindling economy.

12 minutes ago, BOOLIAN said:

I don't really see how this is surprising. Just look at India and look at the UK. I think it's more surprising that we had the Empire in the first place when you consider our native land.

On top of that, I don't think that economy size is really the make-or-break here. India has plenty of systemic, existential, problems that are a lot harder to resolve than a dwindling economy.

Over the last 70 years, which of the two countries has declined and which has ascended? In another 70 years, I imagine India will have less problems than the UK will.

Gordon Brown saw fit to sell much of the 401 tonnes of gold to India (at $275 an ounce) after all, this will undoubtably help them in the coming economic collapse/reset.

Edited by Timberwolf

11 minutes ago, Timberwolf said:

Over the last 70 years, which of the two countries has declined and which has ascended? In another 70 years, I imagine India will have less problems than the UK will.

What do you think happened just over 70 years ago that might have played a large part in that decline that India didn't experience as close to home?

I'm not going to continue as I don't want to detract from the original thread too much but if you believe that India is the next China then I really do suggest that you do some research around predictions 50 years ago for India and how they compare today versus China (as a starting point). Projection is 3D, and if it were 2D then Japan would be the number one economy as was prophesized.

Edit: This is a nice little video. It's missing some detail but it's pretty lighthearted & gets across the main points of the argument.

Edited by BOOLIAN