• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Year's Resolutions?

2 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

In terms of PM related resolutions...

1 - Try and catch @James32s gold stack, I'm not quite counting in tons get though.

2 - Stack bullion sovs ideally, 1 oz if premiums are lower. 

3 - Continue on Tudor Beasts golds

I want to be like you when I grow up 😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

30 minutes ago, James32 said:

I want to be like you when I grow up 😁

Never grow up.  We love you just the way you are.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Myself

1.  Stop buying any RM new releases, (with the exception of next Great Engravers 2oz gold coin to keep the series going ) and stop being drawn into all the hype and participating in queues etc on launch day 

2.  Looking to add "quality" over quantity this year.  Going to look to pay a bit more for better graded, dearer coins (most likely rare/variant year proof sovereigns as seems to be a continued trend of steadily rising annually 

3.  Full exit all my silver coins by Easter, sick of waiting over a decade for £50+oz so physical silver coins can hit the bricks for me.  I will just stack via bullionvault if i choose to re-enter silver market again

4.  As and when budget allows, hopefully pick up "unpopular" fairly priced graded coins from coin cabinet, coin of realm auctions or here on forum 

Stop running backwards and forwards to the silver buffet, buying stuff I don't need. Like Bruce Willis said to Arnold Schwarzenegger in Expendibles 2, "You've been back enough".

So I'll sort out my English monarchs set and then maybe, maybe buy some gold. There I've said it... and it hurt. 😉

Edited by SidS

18 hours ago, Roy said:

It's that time of year again!

Any resolutions for 2023, precious metal related of course!

I'll kick it off: No more modern coins from the Royal Mint. I stopped with the memorial sovereigns and the 2023 QE2 Britannias, and that's that. You have to draw a line somewhere eh?

I'm not stopping gold purchases however, I'll concentrate on improving my Britannia collection and perhaps pick up a few more 19thC half sovereigns.

Collecting the back catalogue of Britannias is very worthwhile in my opinion.  Nice coins and not silly prices.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I'd really like to start and pursue a new collection. Perhaps silver proof round £1 coins as I've been humming and hawing over them for quite some time. I will carry on doing what I've done the last few years which is adding decent priced gold and silver to the stack but it would be nice to find some more joy in the hobby by way of pursuing a subject that I enjoy. Something that I wouldn't be doing for the sake of future value but just for the enjoyment of it. I think I've done too little of that in recent years and it would be a good way to pump some fun back into this hobby for me.

9 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I'd really like to start and pursue a new collection. Perhaps silver proof round £1 coins as I've been humming and hawing over them for quite some time. I will carry on doing what I've done the last few years which is adding decent priced gold and silver to the stack but it would be nice to find some more joy in the hobby by way of pursuing a subject that I enjoy. Something that I wouldn't be doing for the sake of future value but just for the enjoyment of it. I think I've done too little of that in recent years and it would be a good way to pump some fun back into this hobby for me.

The round pound (either normal or Piedfort) is very rewarding to collect.  There are a handful that were only ever released in sets so are exceptionally hard to find.  I’m out and don’t have my spreadsheet with me but @PapaLazarou might be able to confirm which the really hard to find ones are, as we discussed 

A couple of mine have toning but that’s the way I bought them. 

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

The round pound (either normal or Piedfort) is very rewarding to collect.  There are a handful that were only ever released in sets so are exceptionally hard to find.  I’m out and don’t have my spreadsheet with me but @PapaLazarou might be able to confirm which the really hard to find ones are, as we discussed

I always thought about getting a 1988 one, it was always my favourite even for such an underwhelming design. The circulation issue was such a seldom seen coin in circulation.

6 hours ago, dicker said:

A couple of mine have toning but that’s the way I bought them. 

Best

Dicker

I thank you kindly for that information. Whilst I've yet to look into it seriously I figured from previous collections I've started that there were bound to be a few that are hard to get... just a fun part of the chase!

The round pound is a coin that I've always felt a great deal of affection for. Moving over to the UK from Canada the round pound was completely unlike any other coin I'd come across before with its relative small diameter yet thick, chunky feel. Combine that with the fact you could pull a handful of them out of your pocket and be presented with what felt at the time an almost endless opportunity to learn about the iconography of the UK...  they just felt magical. I've seen it stated before that you can learn a lot from a country by studying its coins and never have I felt that applies more than it did when the various versions of the round pound were circulating. I've saved a bunch of them that I got in change including some of the very first that were ever put in my hand. It certainly feels about time I begin to pursue this as a collection.

New Years resolutions (not PM related) : Dry January and Dry February.

PM related : my only modest ambitions this year are to pick up a couple of bullion King Chick Sovs when they come out but if the gold price keeps rising I might have to amend that wish lol...

Edited by flyingveepixie

For me:

1. Keep on putting bullion sovereigns in tubes as often as I can (when offered or found at close to spot);

2. Maintain the half sovereign collection - mainly through grading with PCGS;

4. Finally work out what to do with the 10p trial piece I have had for a few years that not even the Royal Mint can offer a definitive explanation for; and

7. Learn how to count.