• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any impact when we get a new Monarch?

DrDave

So when our dear old Lizzy decides to hang up her crown, and Charlie takes over (probabaly), will this have any effect on our bullion that has her protrait on? 

Will thay become more collectable in the short term, or will the last Sovereign or special release from RM become of interest?

I don't think that we can even compare against previous monarch changes as times have changed.

Any thoughts?

Edited by DrDave

Not sure if it will affect many things monetarily, but it will certainly be a moment of historic significance. I'm currently looking to collect a set of 10oz silver Tudor Beasts so it's quite likely the set will have a change of monarch in the middle of it. It could well be that this makes the set more collectible to others in the future as it captures this transition. 

7 minutes ago, GBStacking said:

Not sure if it will affect many things monetarily, but it will certainly be a moment of historic significance. I'm currently looking to collect a set of 10oz silver Tudor Beasts so it's quite likely the set will have a change of monarch in the middle of it. It could well be that this makes the set more collectible to others in the future as it captures this transition. 

Yeah thats the kind of thing that i was thinking about.

I've collected the Queens Reign set so had that in mind too. 

13 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

🤔 coins might have to be made bigger to get Chaz's ears in...?

Like this................

Chaz coin.jpg

no doubt there will be someone on ebay trying to sell coins (pm, non pm ) with the new portrait within hours 🤬 even though it wouldnt be available for months.

you would think the mint does actually have a portrait on standby to use though.  when they would swap over i dont know.  they cant do it immediately for the normal production reasons and then royal protocol would also delay things.  you never know, charles may decide to decline and let it skip to the next generation!

12 minutes ago, bluffer said:

no doubt there will be someone on ebay trying to sell coins (pm, non pm ) with the new portrait within hours 🤬 even though it wouldnt be available for months.

you would think the mint does actually have a portrait on standby to use though. when they would swap over i dont know.  they cant do it immediately for the normal production reasons and then royal protocol would also delay things.

I've often wondered about this.

As I understand it, the coins for 2023 will be minted in the closing months of 2022 and probably into the early part of next year itself. As it happens, in the past the monarch has had the good grace to snuff it sometime between January and October.

What would happen though if they were to strike many millions of new coins and then the monarch was to die towards the end of December and never see the year itself?

Does this mean the entire mintage would be melted down and the standby dies for the successor be utilised instead, or would the already struck coins be released posthumously?

The only example in 'recent' times I can think of is when William III died on 8th March 1701 (now 1702) just over two weeks before what was then New Year's Day on 25th March when the date then changed to 1702.

However some William III Maundy coins were issued with the 1702 date, even though he wasn't around to see it at the time.

Ironically when they switched calendars and moved New Year's Day to January, it became a moot point as he had then made it into 1702 after all. 😁

They don't produce as much circulation coinage as they used to as coins are getting used less.

I think some years they don't bother doing some denominations, so it might not be much of a big deal for them to re-mint all their stock with the new effigy.

The actual effigy itself from a coin collectors point of view is going to be important, what happens if the next monarch breaks with tradition and says they want to be right facing instead of left, people still mention Edward VIII and his vanity over the decision he made about that in the 1930s. Whether the monarch wears a crown or not is another important decision that they'd need to make.

21 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

They don't produce as much circulation coinage as they used to as coins are getting used less.

I think some years they don't bother doing some denominations, so it might not be much of a big deal for them to re-mint all their stock with the new effigy.

The actual effigy itself from a coin collectors point of view is going to be important, what happens if the next monarch breaks with tradition and says they want to be right facing instead of left, people still mention Edward VIII and his vanity over the decision he made about that in the 1930s. Whether the monarch wears a crown or not is another important decision that they'd need to make.

All valid points. Will they use Latin as well?

Carolus III and Gulielmus V might raise a few eyebrows.

1 hour ago, richatthecroft said:

A couple of examples of Charles portraits- 60th & 70th Birthday commemoratives- both Silver Proof £5 Crowns. 

EC7F558D-2A34-470A-A3E0-08F45BC02488.thumb.jpeg.d22d981ece15415e50722691b443447c.jpeg

D8250881-9570-439A-97FF-2EF4442A88A7.thumb.jpeg.79139eb7330c0146d5a4caa5904b32c4.jpeg

I would suggest one of these is an imposter!  Look at the shapes of the noses and the ears.  Or it could just be the RM design team - "it's near enough"!

Edited by Zhorro
typo

9 hours ago, DrDave said:

So when our dear old Lizzy decides to hang up her crown, and Charlie takes over (probabaly), will this have any effect on our bullion that has her protrait on? 

Will thay become more collectable in the short term, or will the last Sovereign or special release from RM become of interest?

I don't think that we can even compare against previous monarch changes as times have changed.

Any thoughts?

It will all become worthless overnight.

Don't worry though, I / we will still buy it for half its previous value if you send it to us without delay.

We might expect free postage though!

😎

Chards

4 hours ago, SidS said:

I've often wondered about this.

As I understand it, the coins for 2023 will be minted in the closing months of 2022 and probably into the early part of next year itself. As it happens, in the past the monarch has had the good grace to snuff it sometime between January and October.

What would happen though if they were to strike many millions of new coins and then the monarch was to die towards the end of December and never see the year itself?

I don’t think that matters, Edward VII became king in 1901 but his portrait wasn’t seen on coins until 1902. The same with George V who became king in 1910 but he wasn’t on coins until 1911.

Queen Elizabeth circulating coins and banknotes won’t be immediately withdrawn overnight, it will be a gradual process over months or years. Look at postboxes too, you still see them with VR, ER VII, GR and G VI R.

9 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

It will all become worthless overnight.

Don't worry though, I / we will still buy it for half its previous value if you send it to us without delay.

We might expect free postage though!

😎

Ah, you're a true gent! 😂

15 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I don’t think that matters, Edward VII became king in 1901 but his portrait wasn’t seen on coins until 1902. The same with George V who became king in 1910 but he wasn’t on coins until 1911.

Queen Elizabeth circulating coins and banknotes won’t be immediately withdrawn overnight, it will be a gradual process over months or years. Look at postboxes too, you still see them with VR, ER VII, GR and G VI R.

That wasn't what I was getting at.

If the Queen was to die in 2022, then Charles' coins would debut in 2023. I totally expect it to be the year after the accession before the new coins arrive, any sooner might be seen to be in bad taste. Coronations are usually a year or two after the accession itself for the same reason.

My question was, if the Queen was to die in December 2030 and they had already struck coins for the following year with her portrait, would they put those QEII 2031 coins into circulation, even though the Queen never lived in that year? That would be weird wouldn't it?

On 24/08/2022 at 01:53, modofantasma said:

Just imagining the pink coppery version of that on the beloved sovereign coins 😬

You don’t have to imagine…

image.jpeg.a6252845c46dd5b7f3ed078043e6c133.jpeg

All joking aside, his portrait doesn’t  look bad imo. It will probably look better with some finessing - I doubt he will be depicted wearing a suit and tie, for one; more likely bare neck or a robe; and he will possibly have a crown too? 

Regardless of how he looks, the first coins of his reign will be sought after.

3 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

You don’t have to imagine…

image.jpeg.a6252845c46dd5b7f3ed078043e6c133.jpeg

All joking aside, his portrait doesn’t  look bad imo. It will probably look better with some finessing - I doubt he will be depicted wearing a suit and tie, for one; more likely bare neck or a robe; and he will possibly have a crown too? 

Regardless of how he looks, the first coins of his reign will be sought after.

They'll probably make it look like he's been beheaded, can't see a crowned portrait to be honest.

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

What goes into deciding if a Monarch’s effigy is crowned or not?  Does the Monarch just get to choose or is there some protocol?

I don't think that theres been a 20th king with a crown on the obverse of currency? But i'm sure i'll be corrected 🤫