• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any impact when we get a new Monarch?

DrDave

25 minutes ago, SidS said:

Usually for UK portraits the monarch has been uncrowned since the 1662 move to machine made coinage. The only exceptions are Victoria and Elizabeth. Quite who decides though I have no idea.

Crowned portraits were usually reserved for colonial coinages.

I think it may have had something to do with the fact the Coronation saw the biggest take up of the television in the nation's history. Everyone who could watched the broadcast, so the Coronation (and Crown) took on an extra significance in the minds of the public. Also the first queen since Victoria, so as you say there's a certain symmetry there.

<edit> Also very important, politically there was the Empire to consider. 

Edited by kimchi

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

Also Charles wants to be seen as a modern, progressive king, while stressing continuity. So I expect him to ditch the crown, but keep the earrings :)

Back to front baseball cap in place of a crown??

8 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Crude, I know, but I think this may be nearer the mark.  😏

7797448D-D9D6-4EFD-BE32-396FA59D2D9A.jpeg.909222243784d7e0fefe36ffb2cc4ff8.jpeg

This seems more accurate as Charles will be depicted facing this way. As a change of monarch faces the opposite way, as you know.

Having said that, I don’t think he’ll be King Charles III due to the difficult reigns of Charles I and Charles II. Maybe he’ll choose one of his other names and be King George VII to follow in his grandfathers footsteps?

But he may just stick with Charles due to how long he’s been The Prince Of Wales.

1 hour ago, Foster88 said:

This seems more accurate as Charles will be depicted facing this way. As a change of monarch faces the opposite way, as you know.

Having said that, I don’t think he’ll be King Charles III due to the difficult reigns of Charles I and Charles II. Maybe he’ll choose one of his other names and be King George VII to follow in his grandfathers footsteps?

But he may just stick with Charles due to how long he’s been The Prince Of Wales.

As I've said before, I hope he will choose to be King Arthur, and with his knights of the Poundbury table, go in search of the (organic) Holy Quail :)

I was wondering if there is a new monarch does that mean all of the mintage limits for QEII coins get voided due to the obverse changing?

So the Royal Mint can re-issue all their best selling coin designs with the new effigy, so more Great Engravers/Beatrix Potter 50ps/special design sovereigns and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

Most the world's population be them from the UK, Commonwealth countries or other have known no other UK monarch....thus should and when she pass it will affect many as she has been a fixture in our lives for long than most can remember....Charles will have very big shoes to fill...QEII will be missed but given she has spent all her life either in preparation or more so on the throne....she's done & given enough.

I do hope she has more time ahead of her, but if family are heading to Balmoral, we've all had that call re a loved one and we know how it usually plays out.

God Save the Queen.  👑

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/08/2022 at 15:44, GoldStatue said:

They don't produce as much circulation coinage as they used to as coins are getting used less.

I think some years they don't bother doing some denominations, so it might not be much of a big deal for them to re-mint all their stock with the new effigy.

The actual effigy itself from a coin collectors point of view is going to be important, what happens if the next monarch breaks with tradition and says they want to be right facing instead of left, people still mention Edward VIII and his vanity over the decision he made about that in the 1930s. Whether the monarch wears a crown or not is another important decision that they'd need to make.

On 25/08/2022 at 16:35, westminstrel said:

You don’t have to imagine…

All joking aside, his portrait doesn’t  look bad imo. It will probably look better with some finessing - I doubt he will be depicted wearing a suit and tie, for one; more likely bare neck or a robe; and he will possibly have a crown too? 

Regardless of how he looks, the first coins of his reign will be sought after.

On 25/08/2022 at 16:50, westminstrel said:

What goes into deciding if a Monarch’s effigy is crowned or not?  Does the Monarch just get to choose or is there some protocol?

On 25/08/2022 at 16:40, SidS said:

They'll probably make it look like he's been beheaded, can't see a crowned portrait to be honest.

On 25/08/2022 at 16:56, SidS said:

Usually for UK portraits the monarch has been uncrowned since the 1662 move to machine made coinage. The only exceptions are Victoria and Elizabeth. Quite who decides though I have no idea.

On 25/08/2022 at 17:16, kimchi said:

I think it may have had something to do with the fact the Coronation saw the biggest take up of the television in the nation's history. Everyone who could watched the broadcast, so the Coronation (and Crown) took on an extra significance in the minds of the public. Also the first queen since Victoria, so as you say there's a certain symmetry there.

<edit> Also very important, politically there was the Empire to consider. 

On 25/08/2022 at 17:20, kimchi said:

Also Charles wants to be seen as a modern, progressive king, while stressing continuity. So I expect him to ditch the crown, but keep the earrings :)

On 08/09/2022 at 19:11, AgCoyote said:

Whoever made the post that Charles would ditch the crown but keep the earrings, thanks for making my day.  Absolutely hilarious.

If I was the king, you best believe all coinage would have me in a crown.

I just caught a small section of an interview with Anne Jessop, on BBC TV channel 1.

In it, Anne was explaining about the fact that Charles will a bare head on his new coins, whereas on most of her coins, Elizabeth wore a crown.

She sounded rather unconvincing, and at one point was talking about "male kings".

I wonder if she has had Woke LGBTQIA+ training, and what other types of kings there are?

😎

Chards

On 25/08/2022 at 16:56, SidS said:

Don't forget that Victoria appeared with an uncrowned head on all of her young head coinage, which was from 1837 to 1887 for gold and silver coins, and from 1837 to 1894 for copper and bronze coins.

She only appeared with a crowned head from 1887 to 1901.

Also Elizabeth II had an uncrowned portrait from 1953 to 1968.

😎

Chards