• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

2 minutes ago, watchesandwhisky said:

do we get sent an invoice from CC? i bought a couple of coins but cant see where to pay.

Yes they'll send an invoice to the email that you used for registering. No rush to pay imo - they're out of office for holidays and nothing will be shipped until next year. 😉

"Please note that shipping of items will commence in the first week of January 2022. "

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 minute ago, richatthecroft said:

What did you get? 

The PF66 CAM half crown mate. 🤞

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just now, richatthecroft said:

Nice one 👍 

The 1953’s were all nice coins- I bottled it with the Sixpence 🙄 

Thank you 😊

Was eyeing the sixpence too - looked like going too cheap pre-bidding but climbed up strong in the live session! 😮

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Not brilliant to be fair compared to the previous releases :( 

Maybe you won't be paying off your mortgage and retiring to the Bahamas after all😉

Maybe reconsidering your long term hold for this set?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

8 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Maybe you won't be paying off your mortgage and retiring to the Bahamas after all😉

Maybe reconsidering your long term hold for this set?

Hhhmmmm ..........will be monitoring this year Steve. Might be bad time of year for sure, lots of great releases in short time, wait until the graded ones come out, second in series to come out march, plain edges not minted or in hand yet. Not cashing my proverbial chips just yet. There's life in this release down the road I think 

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Hhhmmmm ..........will be monitoring this year Steve. Might be bad time of year for sure, lots of great releases in short time, wait until the graded ones come out, second in series to come out march, plain edges not minted or in hand yet. Not cashing my proverbial chips just yet. There's life in this release down the road I think 

Cut your losses! Sell whilst you can, will only go down. I’m happy to snap them off of you 

🤓 

1 hour ago, Fivepoundfred said:

I noticed that the first two gold two ounce gothic crowns have now been graded by NGC, one 69 and one 70.

Like most still waiting for the RM to send out my gold coin

Edited by marston59

The Coinery today - raw 2oz (estimate £9000 - £11000) and 5oz (£15000 - £17000) Gothic gold were both passed. Silver 2oz sold for £500+premium (16% inc. VAT).

Just now, jultorsk said:

The Coinery today - raw 2oz (estimate £9000 - £11000) and 5oz (£15000 - £17000) Gothic gold were both passed. Silver 2oz sold for £500+premium (16% inc. VAT).

At least the silver is consistent at just under £600 for all sales I’ve seen.

11 minutes ago, Altitudes said:

Has anyone had any experience returning their gold proof? Just opened mine and there are some contact marks on the obverse, albeit quite small. I'm assuming with a coin this limited getting a replacement is unlikely?

I know someone who received one with a small mark on the field of the obverse. There were also some frosting issues on the lettering on the obverse. The reverse is perfect. 

They received the coin on 23 December and have emailed their account manager. They haven’t had a response yet, at least as far as I know! Probably won’t till 4 Jan given the holiday break. They wanted to grade it so have asked to return for the issues to be dealt with. My view is that the Mint will likely say keep it or return it. 

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I know someone who received one with a small mark on the field of the obverse. There were also some frosting issues on the lettering on the obverse. The reverse is perfect. 

They received the coin on 23 December and have emailed their account manager. They haven’t had a response yet, at least as far as I know! Probably won’t till 4 Jan given the holiday break. They wanted to grade it so have asked to return for the issues to be dealt with. My view is that the Mint will likely say keep it or return it. 

Thanks for the response! I plan on grading mine as well and as long as it comes out a PF69 I'll be happy. Is a bit disappointing though and the surface of the fields on obverse also has a bit of a strange quality to it, somewhat rippled in a way or like it has been handled and lightly smudged all across the field. I haven't dealt with as many gold proofs as silver though so unsure if this is normal texture. Seems like I've heard someone mention it before.

The reverse is definitely stunning on these coins. They've done a great job as far as that goes.

2 minutes ago, Altitudes said:

Thanks for the response! I plan on grading mine as well and as long as it comes out a PF69 I'll be happy. Is a bit disappointing though and the surface of the fields on obverse also has a bit of a strange quality to it, somewhat rippled in a way or like it has been handled and lightly smudged all across the field. I haven't dealt with as many gold proofs as silver though so unsure if this is normal texture. Seems like I've heard someone mention it before.

The reverse is definitely stunning on these coins. They've done a great job as far as that goes.

IMO grading is a lottery.  I’ve sent modern proof coins that some on here would have sent scathing emails to Anne Jessopp over the quality and graded PF70UC and I’ve sent totally perfect as a coin can be and got PR69UC.   This only might happen with mine.

If the RM can’t guarantee a replacement and you really do want it then it’s worth subbing as you could be lucky. 

4 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

IMO grading is a lottery.  I’ve sent modern proof coins that some on here would have sent scathing emails to Anne Jessopp over the quality and graded PF70UC and I’ve sent totally perfect as a coin can be and got PR69UC.   This only might happen with mine.

If the RM can’t guarantee a replacement and you really do want it then it’s worth subbing as you could be lucky. 

Thanks! I'd honestly be a bit nervous even getting it replaced as I'd have to send it back from the US and have received worse coins than what I wanted to exchange before. So, should probably just be happy with what I have and see how it does. I'll think about it and get some better light before sending it in for grading.

Do you know if the kind of wavey texture to the obverse fields is normal for gold proofs? Have not noticed it on silver before.

11 minutes ago, Altitudes said:

Thanks! I'd honestly be a bit nervous even getting it replaced as I'd have to send it back from the US and have received worse coins than what I wanted to exchange before. So, should probably just be happy with what I have and see how it does. I'll think about it and get some better light before sending it in for grading.

Do you know if the kind of wavey texture to the obverse fields is normal for gold proofs? Have not noticed it on silver before.

Can you post some pictures of the wavey texture?