• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Royal Tudor Beasts - Royal Mint Launch Event, Oct 7

Hi All, 

So i have been deciding to return my one for replacement for a week or 2, but reading the comments here im wondering if its worth it at all? 

Attached pictures are the coin im thinking of returning because it appears there is alot of dust on the coin (No visible dents or scrtches I can see and also the dust particles looks worse in the photos than it is by the naked eye, can only prob see about 4 bits with my naked yey), this was most probably because the capsule doesn't fit the coin I don't believe, the capsule was loose and hard to twist to open when I received it. 

I have tried to live with it but its just annoying me and just wondering should i return for replacement?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for any feedback at all.

1 - with capsule on.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6 minutes ago, Slam said:

Hi All, 

So i have been deciding to return my one for replacement for a week or 2, but reading the comments here im wondering if its worth it at all? 

Attached pictures are the coin im thinking of returning because it appears there is alot of dust on the coin (No visible dents or scrtches I can see and also the dust particles looks worse in the photos than it is by the naked eye, can only prob see about 4 bits with my naked yey), this was most probably because the capsule doesn't fit the coin I don't believe, the capsule was loose and hard to twist to open when I received it. 

I have tried to live with it but its just annoying me and just wondering should i return for replacement?

What would you do?

1 - with capsule on.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

Try some compressed air and see if that clears it? Just be careful that there is no moisture in the nozzle etc. before using it - so squirt any new can a few times away from the coin before applying it to the coin!!

4 minutes ago, Slam said:

Hi All, 

What would you do?

1 - with capsule on.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

I have the same problem. Mine has dust or some debris on it but it’s the third coin I’ve received and the other two had scratches so I’m pleased that this one is scratch free. I’ve also found the capsules questionable but they surely must fit the coins. Unless they have started using a new batch of below-standard capsules or something.

ive decided to send for grading. Was going to keep it until I can amass more 2oz coins to submit, and so make the process cheaper but the dust/debris is bothering me. If I could get the capsule open I would give it a blast with hairdryer…

grading with conservation is the answer for me. Get it out of the cap and into a slab. 

4 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Try some compressed air and see if that clears it? Just be careful that there is no moisture in the nozzle etc. before using it - so squirt any new can a few times away from the coin before applying it to the coin!!

Thanks, I wouldn't be comfortable with doing that at the moment. :( 

However I will look on youtube to see if someone has tried that before.   Do you think this passes the royal mint quality control? As they said they are able to provide a replacement.

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

I have the same problem. Mine has dust or some debris on it but it’s the third coin I’ve received and the other two had scratches so I’m pleased that this one is scratch free. I’ve also found the capsules questionable but they surely must fit the coins. Unless they have started using a new batch of below-standard capsules or something.

ive decided to send for grading. Was going to keep it until I can amass more 2oz coins to submit, and so make the process cheaper but the dust/debris is bothering me. If I could get the capsule open I would give it a blast with hairdryer…

grading with conservation is the answer for me. Get it out of the cap and into a slab. 

ah now thats an idea. However never graded anything before so might be a good first test. So if sent off for grading will they clean the coin etc before they grade and put it into slab?

Also I didn't think the dust would bother me until more got into the capsule. lol

I did think of hairdryer but saw a article thats not a good idea because of the chemical in the dryer from the plastic. :( 

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, Slam said:

Thanks, I wouldn't be comfortable with doing that at the moment. :( 

However I will look on youtube to see if someone has tried that before.   Do you think this passes the royal mint quality control? As they said they are able to provide a replacement.

Thanks 

I do it with most proof coins that I receive before I then examine them. I have never had an issue doing this as it is just clean air and a similar approach that would be taken during any conservation/restoration service. I get why you would be nervous and so perhaps just ignore me!

6 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I do it with most proof coins that I receive before I then examine them. I have never had an issue doing this as it is just clean air and a similar approach that would be taken during any conservation/restoration service. I get why you would be nervous and so perhaps just ignore me!

No sir, I appreciate any advice as its my decision to action it or not, I will do some research to see what to do.

Many thanks

3 minutes ago, Slam said:

I did think of hairdryer but saw a article thats not a good idea because of the chemical in the dryer from the plastic.

Interesting. I'm glad you mention this. I have never used a hairdryer but always been open to the idea. Maybe another member could offer their advice on this? Thinking about it, the last thing you'd want on your coin is hairspray particles or some other contaminant.

3 minutes ago, Slam said:

However never graded anything before so might be a good first test. So if sent off for grading will they clean the coin etc before they grade and put it into slab?

They would only clean the coin if a) you choose the conservation service and b) it needs cleaning. Also, you're only charged for conservation if they deem it necessary to conserve. I don't believe some dust is worthy of conservation, I think they would blow some dust off with the compressed air before passing on to their graders.  I'd still choose to tick conservation as a precaution.

It would be rather expensive to send to graders directly. A much better option is an authorised dealer to do it for you. I would recommend  Louise from @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions. Can't speak highly enough of her service in regards to grading and auction.

1 minute ago, SilverJacks said:

Interesting. I'm glad you mention this. I have never used a hairdryer but always been open to the idea. Maybe another member could offer their advice on this? Thinking about it, the last thing you'd want on your coin is hairspray particles or some other contaminant.

They would only clean the coin if a) you choose the conservation service and b) it needs cleaning. Also, you're only charged for conservation if they deem it necessary to conserve. I don't believe some dust is worthy of conservation, I think they would blow some dust off with the compressed air before passing on to their graders.  I'd still choose to tick conservation as a precaution.

It would be rather expensive to send to graders directly. A much better option is an authorised dealer to do it for you. I would recommend  Louise from @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions. Can't speak highly enough of her service in regards to grading and auction.

Seconded. Excellent service via the auctions. Never graded with them but she knows her stuff and has been working with coins for nearly 20 years. Very knowledgeable and a good source of support if needed.

I will check them out, how much is estimate for this 2oz proof to get graded i should be looking at so I don't over pay?  

Also i read that the label matters?

All I know currently is that grading of 70 is the best and they put it in a slab but thats all i know. 

Thanks

Estimate £29 plus postage, plus any optional extras like labels. You could also be charged additional fee if a single coin is sent on its own form without others. This is why it's cheaper to send a batch of coins as opposed to just one.

Louise is best to speak to. She's very generous with her time despite being busy.

Anyway, I'll be sending mine off today or tomorrow and see what happens. Probably have to pay a tad more for single form.

5 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

Estimate £29 plus postage, plus any optional extras like labels. You could also be charged additional fee if a single coin is sent on its own form without others. This is why it's cheaper to send a batch of coins as opposed to just one.

Louise is best to speak to. She's very generous with her time despite being busy.

Anyway, I'll be sending mine off today or tomorrow and see what happens. Probably have to pay a tad more for single form.

Thanks for this, is single form meaning 1 coin, multiple forms you can send multiple coins for the one of fee? So making it more worth it.

Let me know how it goes

Thanks 

18 minutes ago, Slam said:

Thanks for this, is single form meaning 1 coin, multiple forms you can send multiple coins for the one of fee? So making it more worth it.

Let me know how it goes

Thanks 

I don't think you're charged for the form unless you only send one coin on its own form. It's best to ask Louise in case I make mistakes with my estimations. 

Sure, I'll let you know the results

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues - got 2 x 1 oz Silver Panthers back in the post today even though I had been told the customer engagement lead was still awaiting feed back from their production manager. Both defective again (no 12 and 13 duff coins received) - and one coin was without a doubt the worst I have received so far (see picture) - 2 whacking great gouges on the obverse size (both on D's ?). I've sent the email below but given I'd escalated this to the CEO already I just don't get how they can't manage to send 4 decent coins that have been checked before dispatch?

Hello 

I have been sent two more 1 oz Seymour Panther coins and unfortunately yet again they are defective. The order number for reference is 
The coin with the mintage number 2936 is probably the worst coin I have received to date with two large gouges on the Ds on the obverse side. I have attached a picture to show this.
I think I have been patient so far but I really can't understand why I would be sent more coins that clearly haven't been properly checked before they were dispatched. I also thought the production manager would get back to you before any would be sent out again?

This will now be the 12th and 13th coins that I am returning and its nearly 2 months since my initial order.

Can you please stop sending me coins that have not been properly quality checked and give me an update on the next steps.

I look forward to your response.

712380229_returns01dec.thumb.jpg.ff1bff91a7d64ab3c1071b4bc349bd19.jpg

Edited by 272

10 minutes ago, 272 said:

The saga continues - got 2 x 1 oz Silver Panthers back in the post today even though I had been told the customer engagement lead was still awaiting feed back from their production manager. Both defective again (no 12 and 13 duff coins received) - and one coin was without a doubt the worst I have received so far (see picture) - 2 whacking great gouges on the obverse size (both on D's ?). I've sent the email below but given I'd escalated this to the CEO already I just don't get how they can't manage to send 4 decent coins that have been checked before dispatch?

Hello 

I have been sent two more 1 oz Seymour Panther coins and unfortunately yet again they are defective. The order number for reference is 4366185.
The coin with the mintage number 2936 is probably the worst coin I have received to date with two large gouges on the Ds on the obverse side. I have attached a picture to show this.
I think I have been patient so far but I really can't understand why I would be sent more coins that clearly haven't been properly checked before they were dispatched. I also thought the production manager would get back to you before any would be sent out again?

This will now be the 12th and 13th coins that I am returning and its nearly 2 months since my initial order.

Can you please stop sending me coins that have not been properly quality checked and give me an update on the next steps.

Looks like that D was almost an E  🙈

You have the patience of a saint and on the bright side your guaranteed to be getting Christmas gifts from the post office staff.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

13 minutes ago, 272 said:

Hello 

I have been sent two more 1 oz Seymour Panther coins and unfortunately yet again they are defective. The order number for reference is 4366185.

What on earth???? 

6 minutes ago, James32 said:

You have the patience of a saint and on the bright side your guaranteed to be getting Christmas gifts from the post office staff.

Seriously though that's atrocious and I can safely say if my return for a (different coin) isn't up to standard I'm moving straight to refund.

I have been given assurances from the top brass but it all appears to be just words going by your experience.

On 26/11/2021 at 21:20, BackyardBullion said:

I had no additional emails from the Mint today about my enquiry ☹️

12 minutes ago, James32 said:

Well they might just refund me on the 1 Ozs but they cant really do that for at least one of the 2 OZ coins as I signed up to the 2 Oz 10 coin series. As I'm concerned they've got to guarantee that they will supply 10 'mint' condition (is that a poor choice of words?) coins. If they only offer a refund or say I have to accept a duff coin why would anyone have confidence in signing up to that kind of commitment with RM? Can you imagine if you've signed up to that and they welched on that guarantee on coin number 8 or 9  of the series leaving you stuck with an incomplete or substandard set after having invested significant sum of money? On that basis if they don't have any in decent condition they should remint them. 

Edited by 272

2 minutes ago, 272 said:

Well they might just refund me on the 1 Ozs but they cant really do that for at least one of the 2 OZ coins as I signed up to the 2 Oz 10 coin series. As I'm concerned they've got to guarantee that they will supply 10 'mint' condition (is that a poor choice of words?) coins. If they only offer a refund or say I have to accept a duff coin why would anyone have confidence in signing up to that kind of commitment with RM? Can you imagine if you've signed up to that and they welched on that guarantee on coin number 8 or 9  of the series leaving you stuck with an incomplete or substandard set after having invested significant sum of money? On that basis if they don't have any in decent condition they should remint them. 

Completely agreed!!

Takes a strong stomach to put up with this though and for that I commend you.