• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

6 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I did write to the RM about a month ago about the colour, and silver content.

After 3 weeks, I chased them, and received an answer.

There will be no change for the imminent 2022 proof sovereigns release.

I have already posted about my e-mail suggestion elsewhere on TSF, so won't repeat it here.

I did respond to push it further, and will continue to do so.

Thank you Lawrence, i think most of the members here, if not all, dislike the modern sovereign colour except RM themselves.  Let's see if they will make change by 2030😅

Oh for the good ol' days when men were men and Aussie miners left their gold in the camp-fire overnight so they could chip off the Quartz in the morning. Of course the silver was not able to be removed initially at the Refinery, and became part of the alloy. Thus in the 1870s the sovereigns were more yellow then the RM London Sovs. Today, the Royal Mint Refinery (which used to be run by Rothschilds) has the technology to put anything into the alloy. What an inspirational move to put all copper into the alloy!  Why not do a deal with the U.S. Mint at West Point to use the 22ct alloy used for the 'Eagle' which contains 3% silver? I believe the Krugerrand and the Sovereign are the only other gold coins using 22ct. for coinage apart from Pseudo Sovs minted elsewhere. I would rather see Aluminium saucepans melted down as in WWII for 'Spitfires' given to the RM for the alloy. than 'Girly Pink'.  Whoops -Sorry,  that would make 'Purple Gold!' 👾

Apologies for going a little bit off topic......

I know with wedding rings different coloured gold goes through periods when it is popular and not so popular, rose gold one decade and white gold the next decade, so who knows maybe a new marketing director comes into the mint and we get a purple sovereign 😀

11 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

Thank you Lawrence, i think most of the members here, if not all, dislike the modern sovereign colour except RM themselves.  Let's see if they will make change by 2030😅

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

Oh for the good ol' days when men were men and Aussie miners left their gold in the camp-fire overnight so they could chip off the Quartz in the morning. Of course the silver was not able to be removed initially at the Refinery, and became part of the alloy. Thus in the 1870s the sovereigns were more yellow then the RM London Sovs. Today, the Royal Mint Refinery (which used to be run by Rothschilds) has the technology to put anything into the alloy. What an inspirational move to put all copper into the alloy!  Why not do a deal with the U.S. Mint at West Point to use the 22ct alloy used for the 'Eagle' which contains 3% silver? I believe the Krugerrand and the Sovereign are the only other gold coins using 22ct. for coinage apart from Pseudo Sovs minted elsewhere. I would rather see Aluminium saucepans melted down as in WWII for 'Spitfires' given to the RM for the alloy. than 'Girly Pink'.  Whoops -Sorry,  that would make 'Purple Gold!' 👾

Apologies for going a little bit off topic......

On 20/10/2021 at 08:17, RDHC said:

I'm probably in a minority of one, but I don't greatly care what the design turns out to be - apart from a limited interest curiosity about the pure aesthetics of it - because so long as the Mint continues its apparently inflexible policy of using only copper to dilute the gold in a sovereign, and seems not to care about the resulting almost pink look, I will not be buying any more modern sovereigns. I bought two without realising just how unattractive in reality they are compared to a Victorian sovereign or the gold Britannias.

I expect a bit of flak for this statement, but there it is.

Good luck to the rest of you, however.

On 20/10/2021 at 08:39, Britannia47 said:

Well said! Unfortunately the RM is not listening.

We got Doug to re-shoot pictures of the two different extremes of colour for gold sovereigns:

2005australiaand2021elizabethiifullsovereignscolourcomparisonreversedesigns2000.thumb.jpg.1902374b85cfc32028f044c1705aeb09.jpg

He photographed a 2021 UK proof gold sovereign, and a 2005 Australian proof sovereign, both in identical lighting, with identical processing, so that the composite image shown is a true and accurate representation of their colours and the difference.

Both are 22ct gold (91.66'%) of course; the difference in composition being that the Royal Mint's UK coin is alloyed with 8.3% copper and no silver, while the Perth Mint produced "Sydney" coin is alloyed with 8.3% silver, and no copper.

@ChardsCoinandBullionDealer should be producing a simple poll to ask TSF members which they prefer.

Chards

42 minutes ago, Robda1986 said:

Single will be 650 that's what rm have charged for the 95th and every 1/4 for a while now so 1200 for the set seems a little low I'd be guessing around the 1500 mark as they do like hammering the sets 

Yeah, I may have been a bit reserved lol.

This design has been on their site for about a month....its just what they believe the design will be....know one knows what it will actually be until the release day..personally I think its unprofessional for a company to place them on pre-sale before they know the actual design...or do they know??? and leaked it early..in any case its unprofessional if they do..

On 29/10/2021 at 02:49, CollectorNo1 said:

This design has been on their site for about a month....its just what they believe the design will be....know one knows what it will actually be until the release day..personally I think its unprofessional for a company to place them on pre-sale before they know the actual design...or do they know??? and leaked it early..in any case its unprofessional if they do..

I'm at least 91.66% certain they know what the design will be, and have seen images.

Actually, make that 99.99%!

Chards

So if that's the case how can they know the design before it's released???? Seems like something dodgy going on here...someone leaking information..if that is the case it makes the whole concept of new designs of coins a joke....or am I missing something here and being naieve that certain dealers get advanced information on new releases before they are released?????

13 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

For many new issues, trusted distributors sometimes get consulted months in advance, then receive an embargoed trade information sheet. This has long been the case for new proof sovereigns, and there is no reason it should be different this year. It seems to be common knowledge that the release is imminent, which fits in well with the release dates of many recent proof sovereign issues. Sadly, it is quite common for someone to leak. Distributors share some of the embargoed information with their dealer customers, also under embargo, so that dealers can indicate orders, distributors can balance allocations (in both directions). It is usually smaller or newer dealers who probably leak info, for obvious reasons.

There is nothing wrong with working on the publically available information, such as from the Privy Council notice. We produced about 5 different visualisations of possible interpretations of the Royal Coat of Arms, and we did so before and without sight or knowledge of any privileged embargoed information. One of our versions was quite similar to the "concept" design posted on this thread some time later. It would be surprising if one of our designs was not similar to the RM design. If the more recent concept was similar, perhaps it was a lucky guess? 🙂

Thankyou for the explanation 👍

1 minute ago, danmc82 said:

So what are members going for upon realease? Hopefully 2 full and 1 half for myself.

I'll be going for 1x full & 1x half bullion myself. I thought about a full proof but probably can't afford that right now. 

I'm thinking about pushing the boat out for a 3-coin set, if i can afford it and if it will be available...

What are everyone's thoughts on availability for the sets? Will they be hard to secure like The Great Engravers? Or will they be available for a while?