• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The obverse and reverse designer is a Bernard Sindall, he barely gets a mention for his work.     

Quite right, so this is now the 2nd mention! Bernard Sindall was mainly a sculptor. Oddly, he died in 1998 the year I bought this set. I don’t think the obverse is his best work though, having to morph the Tudor King Henry VII into QEII.   

I now have an enduring image in my head of the Queen wielding a pair of Kalashnikovs and the head of a dog.

Thanks a lot!! 🤣

Edited by Britannia47

20 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Quite right, so this is now the 2nd mention! Bernard Sindall was mainly a sculptor. Oddly, he died in 1998 the year I bought this set. I don’t think the obverse is his best work though, having to morph the Tudor King Henry VII into QEII.   

I now have an enduring image in my head of the Queen weilding a pair of Kalashnikovs and the head of a dog.

Thanks a lot!! 🤣

It’s a strange one as the 2016 proof sovereigns are called the “butler”  we should really call the 1989 the “Sindall sovereign” as he designed both the famous reverse and obverse. 

2 hours ago, AurumArgenti said:

Lets be honest ... The Royal Mint is just taking the piss out of collectors and customers at this stage. Market saturation and poor practises.

Your thinking is correct. Unfortunately the Queen died in the same year as the Platinum Jubilee and with the Coronation next year the RM has been obligated to commemorate these worthwhile events. Saturation is a good word for what went before but the RM has clearly been overwhelmed. This in turn has affected QC as we all know. Nuff said really!…….

2 minutes ago, refero said:

i quite dont get this cancellation rush guys...

what changed now compared to the day you placed your orders? mintage was clearly stated, dispatch time was clearly stated, price-s were stated, the reverse was shown...

I think a lot of people were disappointed they didn't sell out in a day so are measuring success of them based on that. The skeptical conversations started after that and then a mass buyers remorse set in so hence followed by the cancellations. 

7 minutes ago, Mtaybar said:

I think a lot of people were disappointed they didn't sell out in a day so are measuring success of them based on that. The skeptical conversations started after that and then a mass buyers remorse set in so hence followed by the cancellations. 

When FOMO becomes JOMO 

On 11/12/2022 at 15:34, westminstrel said:

The 1989 was also apparently not well-received at the time of release, and indeed the reverse feels pretty busy too. It’s also kinda weird that the reverse is a hodgepodge and doesn’t exactly mirror the original 1489 Sovereign. But whatever… it’s become popular so you can never tell. 😆

I just love the Tudor Rose design and find it sad that it always appears on the reverse of slabs rather than the front. That’s what happens when you get a special reverse and a special obverse both on the one coin I suppose.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

On 11/12/2022 at 10:22, Timberwolf said:

Just looks a mess to me. Way too much going on.

Looks like they took the (IMO fantastic) 2022 Platinum Jubilee design and copy pasted bits to fill the die.

Or the designer spilt his spaghetti on it.

Own it and Love it.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:19, TheShinyStuff said:

Funny how this sov has split opinions! I does look busy  but I think it looks great. BUT - don't forget the important part of this sov is the other side!!!

Charles? Meh. Elizabeth has appeared on other RM coins since her death but sadly not on her memorial sovereign. 

I take your point though and others who say the reigning Sovereign should be on the obverse (obviously Chaz’s first sov).

I think I must still bear him a grudge for making me buy his investiture stamp for a shilling when I was a kid in 1969 and I had to go without comics for a fortnight.

Own it and Love it.

14 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

It’s a strange one as the 2016 proof sovereigns are called the “butler”  we should really call the 1989 the “Sindall sovereign” as he designed both the famous reverse and obverse. 

Perhaps we should call the 2016 proof “the murder mystery” because the Butler did it?

Own it and Love it.

8 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Charles? Meh. Elizabeth has appeared on other RM coins since her death but sadly not on her memorial sovereign. 

I take your point though and others who say the reigning Sovereign should be on the obverse (obviously Chaz’s first sov).

I think I must still bear him a grudge for making me buy his investiture stamp for a shilling when I was a kid in 1969 and I had to go without comics for a fortnight.

You really do know how to hold a grudge!

I don't understand Charles being on a memorial sovereign, Elizabeth being on the Obverse I could get, but whatever they call it, this is the first Charles sovereign. 

Maybe the mint have made a poor choice in their rush to begin profiteering...

I've had an email from RM account manager, making references to everything ending on Dec 31st for 2022 and going forward all qe2 releases will cease. Sold out or otherwise. Nothing new qe2 will be on site from 1st Jan 2023 this is for EVERY 2022 releases queens beasts, lunar, city series, monarchs everything

Email also made reference to relaxing limits per household for anything remaining between now and end of year. So what was restricted to one may have stuff available. Not sure if this extends to the big boy £5;gold sets. Check your inboxes for your account managers email to read fully. It certainly reads like a sell sell sell get the cash in email to me. So many products and not enough puntere buying I think 

I would have thought so. It's the line in sand cut off. 

So full mintages quoted won't hit what's been max if not sold out. 

I'm out and about and replying on phone. Will post up email when I'm back in front of pc tomorrow with details.

There's a 1/1 mintage 15kg coin still available for @James32if the Hoover ain't full 

19 minutes ago, Paul said:

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 15 Kilo Gold Proof Coin – Limited Edition 1 £1,290,995 (Mint Marque exclusive)

If anyones keen or feeling flush ;) ? 

@James32 @GoldDiggerDave

Replacement capsules would be a bugger to find.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

15 minutes ago, James32 said:

Replacement capsules would be a bugger to find.

I've seen a 1kg gold coin in flesh and lifted the bank of England 400oz good delivery bar in London 

15kg just boggles the mind.

It would make for the poshest and most compact door stop in the world though for the bloke who's got everything 

(here is the email copied & pasted from my RM account manager) explaining the end of year, what is happening 

Good afternoon Mr XXXXX,

I hope all is well! Just a warning that this is a bit of a lengthy email but there is good reason for this.

As I am sure you are aware we have recently had several releases as part of our Memorial range, including Sovereigns, sets, and individual coins which all feature the first effigy of King Charles III. One thing that you may not be aware of is that everything within this memorial range will only be available to purchase until the 31st of December, and as of the 1st of January the full range will be taken off of sale and you will no longer be able to purchase anything from this range from the Royal Mint. So even if the issue limit is 100 for example, not all of them may sell making the coin/set rarer…

I appreciate you may have already purchased coins from this range when they were released and were only restricted to what you may have previously purchased, but with the time that has elapsed the household limit has been relaxed.

These same sales window also applies to our 2023 dated coins that feature the Queen’s effigy (Lunar Rabbit and Tudor Beasts Yale of Beaufort), these will also be taken off sale on the 1st January and will no longer be available to purchase. Please see below the coins which are still available along with their prices, if you would like any please let me know as soon as possible so that I can put them aside for you.

Kind regards,

XXXXXX

£5 Crown Range Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK £5 Platinum Proof Coin £5,770

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK £5 Gold Proof Coin £2,975

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK £5 Silver Proof Piedfort Coin £180

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK £5 Silver Proof £95

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK £5 Brilliant Uncirculated £14.50

50p Range Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 50p Platinum Proof Coin £1,465

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 50p Gold Piedfort Proof Coin £2,395

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 50p Gold Proof Coin £1,195

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 50p Silver Piedfort Proof Coin £110

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 50p Silver Proof Coin £59.50

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 50p Brilliant Uncirculated Coin £11

Ounce Range Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 1oz Platinum Proof – £2305

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 15 Kilo Gold Proof Coin – Limited Edition 1 £1,290,995 (Mint Marque exclusive)

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 5 Kilo Gold Proof Coin – Limited Edition 5- £429,995 (Mint Marque exclusive)

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 2 Kilo Gold Proof Coin – Limited Edition 15 - £173,995 (Mint Marque exclusive)

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 1 Kilo Gold Proof Coin – Limited Edition 30 - £82,950

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 10 oz Gold Proof Coin – Limited Edition 100 - £29,405

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 5oz Gold Proof Coin – Limited Edition 250 £13,395 (Sold out on web)

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 2oz Gold Proof Coin – Limited Edition 650 - £5,455

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 1oz Gold Proof Coin – £2,725

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK ¼ oz Gold Proof Coin – £725

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK Silver 1 Kilo Proof Coin – Limited Edition 500 - £2,580 (Sold out on web)

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 10oz Silver – Limited Edition 1000 - £1,050 (Sold out on web)

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 5oz Silver – Limited Edition 3000 - £570 (Sold out on web)

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 1oz Silver – £99.50

Sovereigns:

Sets:

5 Coin set – Limited Edition 1200 - £5595 (Sold out on web)

4 coin set – Limited edition 750 - £2395 (Sold out on web)

3 coin set – Limited edition 1500 - £1120

Single Sovereigns:

BUNC Five Sovereign Piece, Matte finish – Limited edition 1000 - £2900

Piedfort Sovereign – Limited edition 2022 - £1280 (Sold out on web)

Single Sovereign – Limited edition 17500 - £695 (Sold out on web)

Half Sovereign – Limited edition 3000 - £375 (Sold out on web)

Quarter Sovereign – Limited edition 3000 - £230

Memorial Sets:

Contains:

UK definitive coins from 1p - £2 each featuring a special privy mark

Memorial £5 crown

Memorial 50p

Platinum Proof set – Limited edition 96 – £13,645 (£5 crown is piedfort)

Gold Proof Set – Limited edition 200 - £10,715

Silver Proof Set – Limited edition 1500 - £465

BUNC Set – £75

Historic sets:

The Queen Elizabeth II Memorial 3 – Coin Gold Set – Limited Edition 1926 £1,895

Contains:

2022 Sovereign

1926 George V Sovereign ( Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’S Birth year)

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2022 UK 1/4oz Gold Proof Coin

Queen Elizabeth II & King Charles III Two-Coin Sovereign Set – Limited Edition 1000 £1,450

Contains: 2022 Memorial Sovereign

1957 Sovereign

The Queen Elizabeth II Memorial 2-Coin Set - £49.95

Contains: 19583 Five Shilling Coronation Crown

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 11 2022 UK £5 Brilliant Uncirculated coin.

Lunar Rabbit:

5oz Gold – Limited edition 128 - £12,500 (Sold out on web)

1oz Gold – Limited edition 888 - £2725

1/4oz Gold 0 Limited edition 388 - £725

1kg Silver – Limited edition 50 – £2390

Royal Tudor Beasts Yale of Beaufort:

5oz Gold – Limited edition 10 - £12,500 (Not available on web, Mint Marque customers only)

2oz Gold – Limited edition 100 - £5215

1oz Gold – Limited edition 400 - £2725

1/4oz Gold – Limited edition 750 - £725

1kg Silver – Limited edition 70 - £2390

10oz Silver – Limited edition 100 - £910 (Sold out on web)

2oz Silver – Limited edition 1250 - £190 (Sold out on web)

1oz Silver – Limited edition 5000 - £99.50

It’s the combination of higher / unlimited mintages AND higher prices which have dampened enthusiasm for this range.

The gold price has come down and it’ll be interesting to see if the RM actually reduces prices of upcoming releases.

The current prices for proofs are insane and a bit greedy too. 

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

It’s the combination of higher / unlimited mintages AND higher prices which have dampened enthusiasm for this range.

The gold price has come down and it’ll be interesting to see if the RM actually reduces prices of upcoming releases.

The current prices for proofs are insane and a bit greedy too. 

you dont realise just how many current releases there currently are available until you see them listed like above - THERES LOADS ! 

too many new issues, cost of living crisis, inflation, interest rates increasing, high gold price, increased RRPs, higher/unlimited mintages 

Not really being a collector I don't know what's "usual", but it seems to be that the RM have also put out such a broad range of products to commemorate HMQE2 I wonder if that's also damping enthusiasm. Even as a non-collector if they had just put out, say, one or two designs specifically for the purpose I might have been tempted to pick up something in silver - but the wide range doesn't give me that sense of buying a small piece of history for any particular coin.

Edited by Anteater

2 minutes ago, Paul said:

you dont realise just how many current releases there currently are available until you see them listed like above - THERES LOADS ! 

too many new issues, cost of living crisis, inflation, interest rates increasing, high gold price, increased RRPs, higher/unlimited mintages 

Looking at that list, a lot of those are showing as No longer available - e.g. the 2022 Platinum Jubilee 50p silver proof (that the one with '70' on the obverse? right?) if you can still get those, I'd be up for one 😁👍