• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best/Favourite Britannia Design

Heirlooms

1 minute ago, DarkChameleon said:

Yeah silver.it asked for the favorite design, didn't mention metal.

Thought so. You're very right, its all about the design not the metal, it was the "where is all started" comment that threw people off as technically the Britannia series started in 1987

Looking for 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

Without wishing to stir anything up we are in the Gold forum.

Which prompts me to ask does anyone's favourite change according to the metal?  Do some designs look better in gold than in silver or platinum?

The design is the first thing that draws me to the coin (regardless of the metal medium) but my metal order of preference on PMs is Au, Pt, Ag, Pd. Ultimate bimetallic combination for me is Au/Pt.

1 hour ago, trozau said:

The design is the first thing that draws me to the coin (regardless of the metal medium) but my metal order of preference on PMs is Au, Pt, Ag, Pd. Ultimate bimetallic combination for me is Au/Pt.

Interesting combination.  I only have the 2017 Britannia in Platinum and it's not my favourite design but the metal seems a bit flat like a sort of Matte silver

With the 2017 there are more lines in the background on the platinum one than the silver.  I am not sure if there are design differences for any other years  between the metals.  Okay I know there is 1999 but I was thinking of years where the design is basically the same just tweaked a bit.

Edited by Seasider
typo

2021 - the addition of the waves look great and make sense (Britannia ruled the waves).  Makes you think of how Britannia got Gibraltar, HK and guarded the Falklands etc and had a massive wealthy empire in general... all over the waves.  Keeps the legend alive for future generations when there is no powerful UK navy anymore...

2021 seems to be the "next generation" in bullion, really the level up.  And it looks great to me.  I think the sovereign should get a similar upgrade but also without messing with the traditional george and dragon which to me is already perfect and a timeless classic...

Off topic a bit but does anyone know if the RM produced a bullion version of the 2005 gold 1oz Britannia? I've just realised that I've only ever seen the proof but never the bullion version. All the other pre 2012's come in bullion though

20 minutes ago, Heirlooms said:

Off topic a bit but does anyone know if the RM produced a bullion version of the 2005 gold 1oz Britannia? I've just realised that I've only ever seen the proof but never the bullion version. All the other pre 2012's come in bullion though

I just checked the NGC census and there's none graded so I assume the answer is no

• 1 year later...

In anticipation of the 2022 Proof Britannia release I thought I'd revive this thread from 18 months ago, what's your best or your favourite Britannia designs (as these could be different)? You can pick more than 1 favourite but only 1 best. My favourites are still Philip Nathan's designs (1997, 2001, 2003 and 2005), my best design is Jody Clark's 2014 globe Britannia. Honourable mentions, the 2007, 2013 and 2021 premium. Here's a link to most of the designs to jog your memories however the 2020 and 2021 designs are missing:

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/info/britannia-coin-design/

Would prefer to use the @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer link however there are a few more designs missing from their list. @LawrenceChard, is it possible to update?:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/britannia-coin-designs/340

Edited by Heirlooms

45 minutes ago, Heirlooms said:

In anticipation of the 2022 Proof Britannia release I thought I'd revive this thread from 18 months ago, what's your best or your favourite Britannia designs (as these could be different)? You can pick more than 1 favourite but only 1 best. My favourites are still Philip Nathan's designs (1997, 2001, 2003 and 2005), my best design is Jody Clark's 2014 globe Britannia. Honourable mentions, the 2007 and the 2013. Here's a link to most of the designs to jog your memories however the 2020 and 2021 designs are missing:

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/info/britannia-coin-design/

Would prefer to use the @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer link however there are a few more designs missing from their list. @LawrenceChard, is it possible to update?:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/britannia-coin-designs/340

Thanks.

I am sure that will nudge one of our team to provide an update!

😎

Chards

Everyone will have their like and dislike designs. Ultimately, I tend to gravitate towards the original Nathan design of 1987, because it's as iconic to the Brits as  G&D is to the sovereign. The RM has been churning out different designs for sometime. Some seem interesting, if a little experimental for me. However I still possess many of them!  Also I have just seen a Brit 1998 1 oz Silver described as .999. for sale on Ebay.  Not possible until 2012! The silver for this coin is Britannia Standard in .958. Also just for information  Brits were never minted in Sterling Silver .925. Anyway back to gold and another photo...

46D5C700-D960-4D43-9DC7-36B400048DD3.jpeg.3ab12c3e904ed860c08f0f1af2001325.jpg

1 minute ago, Britannia47 said:

Everyone will have their like and dislike designs. Ultimately, I tend to gravitate towards the original Nathan design of 1987, because it's as iconic to the Brits as  G&D is to the sovereign. The RM has been churning out different designs for sometime. Some seem interesting, if a little experimental for me. However I still possess many of them!  Also I have just seen a Brit 1998 1 oz Silver described as .999. for sale on Ebay.  Not possible until 2012! The silver for this coin is Britannia Standard in .958. Also just for information  Brits were never minted in Sterling Silver .925. Anyway back to gold and another photo...

46D5C700-D960-4D43-9DC7-36B400048DD3.jpeg.3ab12c3e904ed860c08f0f1af2001325.jpg

The original just has to be the best, but I love the 2005 proof meditative Britannia and the 2001 proof with the lion. All are my favourites, if I am allowed that many. 

Old photo of mine but some of the Britannia Designs that I have managed to collect over the years. Shame I never managed to complete the collection by adding

2001 1 oz Gold Coin Britannia Bullion

image.png.b0e93ebf2b86824e7f13f401c4aded21.png

2007 1 oz Gold Coin Britannia Bullion

image.png.2ea3003e9792e0a37dd85a70457cb16c.png

https://thesilverforum.com/uploads/monthly_2020_11/IMG_5059.JPG.c39363f4885ad426f42a6bedca1e4464.JPG

It still remains my favourite design 2010 1 oz Gold Coin Britannia Bullion

image.png.0f16fb54c05032319731a033fbe5eefe.png

I know some people don't like the 2017 design, but I think it is absolutely stunning in-hand and is still my favourite.

The design didn't have to grow on me at all for me to buy it.

There's great thought and artwork in the design, the lines representing the sun light, the part designed British flag etc., it's just beautiful.

Wanting to grade the 3 set at some point...

Screenshot_20210623-164506_Gallery.jpg

Edited by GoldenGriffin

My favourite is the 2007 silver. It portrays all the elements that characterise Britain. A serene Britannia offering an olive branch to visitors coming across the sea with a dozing lion at her side and a trident and shield to hand just in case the visitor proves unfriendly. My second favourite is the 2009 with Britannia carrying a trident on board the chariot.  

1 hour ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I know some people don't like the 2017 design, but I think it is absolutely stunning in-hand and is still my favourite.

The design didn't have to grow on me at all for me to buy it.

There's great thought and artwork in the design, the lines representing the sun light, the part designed British flag etc., it's just beautiful.

Wanting to grade the 3 set at some point...

Screenshot_20210623-164506_Gallery.jpg

It reminds me of the opening for dads army..lol.

2 hours ago, Petra said:

Sure the 2013 design is not everyone’s favourite, but finally getting a 5oz version was great as this size really shows the design off to its best.

07FDF66C-E968-4A8D-B69A-EB07DB055370.jpeg

83B11231-D334-497F-9DD1-B12C0331412E.jpeg

Yes, the owl is rather cute, though I have a dim memory that it ought really to go with Minerva or Pallas Athene as a symbol of wisdom. Corrections gladly received.