• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

An 1887 double cracked out from NGC MS62. Nothing too special about this one. The 1887 all have strange textures, I have no idea why. All denominations suffer heavily from die polish lines, and many have semi-prooflike fields which are less often seen on other jubilee head sovereigns or the YH ones before them.

IMG_9591.jpg

IMG_9592.jpg

IMG_9590.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

7 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

An 1887 double cracked out from NGC MS62. Nothing too special about this one. The 1887 all have strange textures, I have no idea why. All denominations suffer heavily from die polish lines, and many have semi-prooflike fields which are less often seen on other jubilee head sovereigns or the YH ones before them.

IMG_9591.jpg

IMG_9592.jpg

IMG_9590.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

I think it’s special, it looks as thought it’s a mint error coin especially in that first pic the rim is very thin at one side and very thick on the other.

5 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

I think it’s special, it looks as thought it’s a mint error coin especially in that first pic the rim is very thin at one side and very thick on the other.

It's just my poor photography. Dodgy iOS17 lens focusing as well. There's a little flower icon on the bottom left, the function of which which I haven't figured out 

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, PapaLazarou said:
2015 Gold Proof Fifth Portrait £1 Shield

As with the silver proof pound coins, several gold £1 shields can often be extremely hard to track down as they were never issued as individual coins. This 2015 Fifth was only offered within the 8-coin gold proof Circulating Coinage set, mintage just 245.

I'd never seen this particular coin offered on its Tod before, so I was a tad delighted to pick it up from the
@CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions auction for spot+ postage.

Shame about the mortuary slab.

2015 au 5th Shield rev1.jpg

2015 au 5th Shield rev3.jpg

2015 au 5th Shield obv3.jpg

Great coin! It’s not a 70, get it out the plastic!🤔😁

Just now, paulmerton said:

Behold the USB microscope slightly-angled-with-extra-light-coming-in-from-the-side bodge setup.

Undoubtedly a strike-through error, and it's cool that some of the black stuff is still tightly embedded in the struck coin, and there are some fragments of it remaining on the edge of the hole too. 

Holy Decus et Tutamen, Batman!

@James32 @Gruff @TheShinyStuff @Brit2023

image.png.db0b6c0b7a07817e00dd8d227cfb09af.png

image.thumb.png.8d792862e1df98376f2d1e066fee30bb.png

image.thumb.png.91c463783ef1b658c36330b896ed75eb.png

I have a Philharmoniker with a tiny blanket error and looks reddish brown inside. It's most likely some contamination on the die that got pressed into the coin...

As the saying goes @paulmertonwhatever makes you happy! 

I agree with @James32though shocking “quality control and checks by the RM”

That’s why I’ve always been reluctant on proofs because I would be so mad with the imperfections. Better to look for already graded proofs when the time comes for me to venture into that field. 

22 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Behold the USB microscope slightly-angled-with-extra-light-coming-in-from-the-side bodge setup.

Undoubtedly a strike-through error, and it's cool that some of the black stuff is still tightly embedded in the struck coin, and there are some fragments of it remaining on the edge of the hole too. 

Looks like is was in someone's grandads breast pocket during war!!!

2 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Just for reference……👍

IMG_0233.png

I love my Krugs, mainly the gold one, but the silver ones are cool too

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

4 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Looks like a meteor strike.  🤣

Those little USB microscopes are very handy.  They won't take the prettiest pics, but they're cheap and can show a lot of detail.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

46 minutes ago, JohnV66 said:

Interesting USA commemorative pick-up. 2019 Apollo 11 50th anniversary proof. Just under a ¼ oz of gold (0.242) for 20 quid over spot with box & CoA. Typical U.S. Mint churned out 50,000 of them.

2019_apollo1.PNG

2019_apollo2.PNG

@paulmerton have you seen this, it's the mother of all strike through errors - looks like some clown has stood on the die!