• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

4 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

This is an interesting picture.  It almost looks as if the edging reeds have been removed to produce the "smooth" edge for the SOTD.  Has anyone weighed one of these SOTDs?

If they're made with the same blanks, they'll weigh the same. They would be struck within a smooth collar rather than having material shaved off the coin after being struck. Any artefacts visible on the smooth edge would have been present on the collar.

6 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

This is an interesting picture.  It almost looks as if the edging reeds have been removed to produce the "smooth" edge for the SOTD.  Has anyone weighed one of these SOTDs?

I thought this was just from the stamping of the blanks. I have the same kind of thing on some minted bars. 

Beautiful coin btw. @Charliemouse I’m jealous!

Aaaahhh😉

1 hour ago, Silverlocks said:

Some Gillicks, I see.  Try getting a couple of Machins and George Vs - both readily available in good condition and very photogenic.

Thanks sir, yes I have more gillicks(date run) than the new copper like sovs. I haven’t branch into the machins nor George V’s. the older Sovs I don’t get as some definition quality is poor and to be frank, I know zero about all that craic 😂

That was a great insight indeed, I appreciate that - with regards to looking at older stuff, I do some reading here and there but always consider myself as beginner which can always learn you know.. so if I decide to start looking at the older Sovs I’ll give you a shout for some advice bud. Many thanks 👍🏽

13 minutes ago, AOB said:

That was a great insight indeed, I appreciate that - with regards to looking at older stuff, I do some reading here and there but always consider myself as beginner which can always learn you know.. so if I decide to start looking at the older Sovs I’ll give you a shout for some advice bud. Many thanks 👍🏽

Get a copy of the Marsh Sovereign book, Allen's Grading British Coins, and a current edition of Spink's Coins of England and the United Kingdom.  Allen has pictures of various obverse and reverse designs in different conditions, so can be useful to help assess the condition of sovs, Marsh has mintage statistics and backgrounds and a price guide (a bit out of date), and Spink has current market prices.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

31 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

Get a copy of the Marsh Sovereign book, Allen's Grading British Coins, and a current edition of Spink's Coins of England and the United Kingdom.  Allen has pictures of various obverse and reverse designs in different conditions, so can be useful to help assess the condition of sovs, Marsh has mintage statistics and backgrounds and a price guide (a bit out of date), and Spink has current market prices.

Thanks bud, I will have a look into those and I appreciate the knowledge. Many thanks

A 1oz dollaridoo, and perhaps some of the other collectibles like Kooks are on my hit list at some point

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

1 minute ago, Fenlander1 said:

There is a 1oz roo in the sales listings atm.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare £1,600 for another couple of weeks.  They do pop up semi-regularly, so I dare say sometime one will come along when I do have some PMs budget online.

Edited by Silverlocks

1 minute ago, Fenlander1 said:

There are so many nice coins about at the minute it's hard knowing which ones to spend the budget on.

Yes, there are many nice shiny things I'd like to get - I could spend an indecent amount of money on stuff from Perth Mint if I had it.  

In related news, the mad relief on Athenian Owl tetradrachms is lovely; for a 2000+ year old coin it's in spiffing condition.

2 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

In related news, the mad relief on Athenian Owl tetradrachms is lovely; for a 2000+ year old coin it's in spiffing condition.

Well...I did pay a small fortune for it...but just the thought it has almost 2500 years...it s insane.

14 hours ago, Aldebaran said:

These arrived, thank you Chards, I must try harder with my photography 🌞

IMG_5266.jpeg

You're very welcome, we're glad they arrived promptly!

Here is our Blog on how we do our Photography here at Chards! 
https://www.chards.co.uk/guides/coin-photography-kit-taking-photos-the-chards-way/1046

8 minutes ago, Ted1945 said:

Huge thanks to GoldDiggerDave for sorting this out for me. Anyone looking for help with grading, general good sense and great customer service need look no further. Very patient too!

B17D5227-EFD0-43B6-BF32-8C8057FCA932.jpeg

Love it. A perfect example of what I think is the single most important coin of the whole coronation series.

I wonder what the going rate for an MS70 will be...

6 minutes ago, Ted1945 said:

Huge thanks to GoldDiggerDave for sorting this out for me. Anyone looking for help with grading, general good sense and great customer service need look no further. Very patient too!

B17D5227-EFD0-43B6-BF32-8C8057FCA932.jpeg

Nice, its first 2023 SOTD i have seen graded

I really need to get round to sending mine to GoldDiggerDave