• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

17 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

I never thought I'd call a 70 year old man pretty but he is here embossed on this little piece of gold. King Charles 2023 half sovereign.

KC1.thumb.png.fdf3a1845dcce03cc7c242eb2324223b.png

George still sticking it to that dragon 200 years later. Surprised he's not wearing a dress in 2023 and prodding it with a dildo the way society's gone.

KC2.thumb.png.bd953cdf161d1ca524c70b33799eb5ac.png

Stunning coin. Beautiful. Thinking of investing in a few hats on coins. What are peoples opinions on the KCIII bullion range?

15 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

I’m a big fan of the MJ Charles portrait tbh. Crowned or not. Can’t imagine a better one of KCIII now. 

He does have that slight 'I can't be arsed sitting in this position for much longer while they portrait me' vibe. I think it adds to the authority of the coin. Maybe not lol.

Edited by CazLikesCoins
typoo

1 minute ago, CazLikesCoins said:

He does that that slight 'I can't be arsed sitting in this position for much longer while they portrait me' vibe. I think it adds to the authority of the coin. Maybe not lol.

Resting grumpy face is his thing

1 minute ago, 9x883 said:

Super, thank you for the insight. New to metal. Late on the beasts and paying high premiums for them. I'll look into the sovereigns 👌

There’s many very knowledgeable people on here for sovereigns. I’m not one of them yet🤣. But don’t just stick to modern. You can get very good value older sovs that have a bit of history too. 
im buying more sovs as a) I like them and b) easier to liquidate. 

Aaaahhh😉

2 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

If you want to get into sovereigns, you will need to learn a bit about the numismatics of the coin.  There are folks on here who know something about them, but you should also start doing your homework.  Start by getting these three books:

Marsh: The Gold Sovereign - this has lists of all the mintages and a slightly out-of-date price guide, plus a bit of background information.  It also has a catalogue with specific, numbered versions so that you can refer to a specific entry if you identify it.

Allen: Grading British Coins - a decent guide to grading, with pictures of every obverse and reverse minted on British coins since about the tail end of the 18th century.  It has pictures of every obverse and reverse design on sovereigns (amongst other coins) in various grades, so you can fairly easily use it as a guide to assess the condition of a coin.  It gives you a good rough guide to where to look for wear on the various designs.

Spink: Coins of England and the United Kingdom - published annually, a guide to the prices of every coin produced in the UK.  It can be helpful to assess the value of coins, particularly if you suspect you have something rare or in exceptionally good condition.  Get the current edition.

Thank you for sharing your expertise on the matter. Screenshot and saved. I'll look into this.

1 minute ago, FFposh said:

To be fair, I also remember watching Johnny Weissmuller!

Luckily not first time around!!

Although I can't really remember the details, TVNZ used to have some slots where it played a lot of old movies on Saturday afternoon, including many of the Tarzan films (and there were quite a few).  I've seen quite a few of the old Tarzan movies at one point or another as well, although in the end they were fairly unmemorable.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

3 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I've seen quite a few of the old Tarzan movies at one point or another as well, although in the end they were fairly unmemorable.

edited wrong thread lol

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

4 minutes ago, FFposh said:

To be fair, I also remember watching Johnny Weissmuller!

Luckily not first time around!!

Johnny never did it for me. Seemed a mopey old bugger. Ron had dimples and a twinkle in his eye, like everything he did was a piss take lmao.

Anyway I'll stop derailing the thread. Cheerio. I'm off to watch some sweating octogenarian swing around some trees on You Tube.

8 minutes ago, 9x883 said:

Thank you for sharing your expertise on the matter. Screenshot and saved. I'll look into this.

TL;DR: Don't buy Young Vics and shields for the sake of buying them.  They're not as rare as folks make them out to be, and there are a lot of people selling munters at very optimistic prices.  Examples in good condition are scarce due to their being circulated as coinage, so you do need to have some idea of what you're buying, what condition it's in and what condition is reasonable to expect, and whether you're paying a price that you can expect to get back out.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

5 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

Although I can't really remember the details, TVNZ used to have some slots where it played a lot of old movies on Saturday afternoon, including many of the Tarzan films (and there were quite a few).  I've seen quite a few of the old Tarzan movies at one point or another as well, although in the end they were fairly unmemorable.

He loved an underwater crocodile fight! Multiple Olympic swimming and water polo Gold medallist in the 20s in case anyone didn't know.

6 minutes ago, FFposh said:

He loved an underwater crocodile fight! Multiple Olympic swimming and water polo Gold medallist in the 20s in case anyone didn't know.

They had some strange events in the 20s🤔

Aaaahhh😉