• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Problem

VeracityM

Just received from Atkinsons:

Thank you for sending your 1876 Sovereign coin to us.

As discussed, this has been tested on our Niton XRF Analyser and I have attached the results above for you.

An authentic Young Head Sovereign should be 91.67% gold, but as you will see, the reading is testing too high at 97%.
This could be due to the coin being heavily gold-plated and because of this we cannot be certain that the centre of the coin is gold.

We therefore believe this to be a copy Sovereign. These are sometimes found to be used in jewellery, generally in 9ct or 18ct gold. 

Unfortunately, this coin is not something we would purchase without having it melted to ascertain its true purity of gold.

If you have any queries, then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Atkinsons_1.jpg

Atkinsons_2.jpg

Atkinsons_3.jpg

Atkinsons_4.jpg

Very interesting. 

I like to think if this was tested on a sigma it would have prompted the tester to have a second look at it. 

I am pretty sure this wasn't me @VeracityM 🙂 Something does look off about it in the pictures from Atkinsons. 

Best to reach out to the seller and share the results 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 minute ago, BackyardBullion said:

Very interesting. 

I like to think if this was tested on a sigma it would have prompted the tester to have a second look at it. 

I am pretty sure this wasn't me @VeracityM 🙂 Something does look off about it in the pictures from Atkinsons. 

Can't be you 🤣 business platinum member. I'm pretty sure I know who it is by process of elimination, they hopefully will deal with it promptly. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

24 minutes ago, James32 said:

Can't be you 🤣 business platinum member. I'm pretty sure I know who it is by process of elimination, they hopefully will deal with it promptly. 

Seller has offered a refund - I've paid postage to receive, postage to Atkinsons (SD), gonna pay return postage from Atkinsons (£10) and postage to Seller - should I get these refunded too (almost £30)?

What's the forum etiquette?

😎

Edited by VeracityM

2 hours ago, VeracityM said:

Thanks James - So far I haven't named on here and I don't know whether I'm supposed to either? Possibly an honest mistake on their part, unsure 🙂

Have you contacted the seller? If it was a recent purchase then it's perhaps possible to get a refund but if it was months or years ago it might be more complicated

35 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Very interesting. 

Yeah, its not nice to look like I'm palming fakes off on Atkinsons either 

Just now, modofantasma said:

Have you contacted the seller? If it was a recent purchase then it's perhaps possible to get a refund but if it was months or years ago it might be more complicated

all those answered above 😉

Have only just seen this thread.  Bit of an odd one to be honest.

Odd strike and detail level and a few red flags that would mean I wouldn’t buy this.

I always think the *last* thing you need is an XRF tester in checking a Sov - so the last thing if you are not sure.

Get your money back on this one.  might be the pics but doesn’t look 97pct gold.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Interesting topic and would certainly like to hear the outcome of further inspection. 

I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect the seller to pay for your postage fees to Atkinsons, but I think they would be happy to pay the return fee back to them. 

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

Just now, iacabu said:

Interesting topic and would certainly like to hear the outcome of further inspection. 

I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect the seller to pay for your postage fees to Atkinsons, but I think they would be happy to pay the return fee back to them. 

The seller is giving the buyer a complimentary sovereign after further discussion. It will be looked at by a third party.

12 minutes ago, AdamDutton said:

After a series of disagreements the buyer will keep the sovereign and sent a complimentary one. And yes I was the seller. It's up to the buyer to send it to another dealer for another person to look into it. The forum will be updated.

Seems a very fair outcome.

Edited by James32

I agree with @dicker that based on the pictures from Atkinsons and the ones posted earlier, the coin may not be a genuine sovereign.

There is probably still plenty of gold content in the coin but the colour, the characters in the date, the font of the legends and the quality of the strike give me grounds for concern regarding its genuineness.  And the XRF rating appears to confirm that too.

Glad that the buyer and seller have come to what seems like a very reasonable outcome for the buyer. 

Just now, VeracityM said:

So, Guys ..... 'The Drama Coin' will be auctioned on the forum next week when I get it back from Atkinsons - which will go some way to covering my numerous shipping expenses and wasted day at work

Not sure you can auction an iffy coin tbh. Will set a precedent we don't want.