• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Problem

VeracityM

I have a sovereign problem myself actually, all my sovs are ~7.98g give or take 0.01g.. but 1 I have weighs 8.16g but still matches the exact diameter and thickness as the others.

Thoughts?

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

25 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

I have a sovereign problem myself actually, all my sovs are ~7.98g give or take 0.01g.. but 1 I have weighs 8.16g but still matches the exact diameter and thickness as the others.

Thoughts?

IOM one?

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

Just now, Upsidedown said:

Yep

Did you sigma it?

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

1 minute ago, Upsidedown said:

I ain't rich!

Get it checked by your local dealer using the guise of you may want to sell it.

-Royal Mint 2024

Let’s keep on topic. Play by the rules.

-Royal Mint 2024

Just now, NGMD said:

Get it checked by your local dealer using the guise of you may want to sell it.

No cuz then they will talk me into selling it for £150

Just now, NGMD said:

Let’s keep on topic. Play by the rules.

I couldn't be more on topic if I tried.

I have a sovereign problem...

Just now, Upsidedown said:

No cuz then they will talk me into selling it for £150

Atkinsons will give you £200. Make sure you tell them that. Should bump up their offer mate

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

23 minutes ago, AdamDutton said:

@bobski surely a £15,000 machine isn't worth it. The sovereign was 97% pure gold on the machine. What sort of sense does that make. If it was fake it should say it was a lot less surely. There needs to be better equipment out there.

A sigma will do better to be fair. I've seen videos of known fakes fooling XRF and not fooling a sigma. 

Obviously I can't comment on the legitimacy of this sovereign in question. Just a comment on the XRF in general

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

32 minutes ago, AdamDutton said:

@bobski surely a £15,000 machine isn't worth it. The sovereign was 97% pure gold on the machine. What sort of sense does that make. If it was fake it should say it was a lot less surely. There needs to be better equipment out there.

A basic sigma would have picked that up. I had a heart stopping moment with a 1986 Brit and then realise it was Sovereign %.

What do you use Adam to check your incoming stock?

-Royal Mint 2024

11 minutes ago, bobski said:

A sigma will do better to be fair. I've seen videos of known fakes fooling XRF and not fooling a sigma. 

Obviously I can't comment on the legitimacy of this sovereign in question. Just a comment on the XRF in general

I do all the basic checks when it comes in, weight, dimensions etc and i’ve handled a lot of sovereigns in my time and can usually tell a fake. The coin in question came from a very reputable source and wasn't bought from the general public but a very reputable supplier which may have slipped under the radar. I don’t really want to mention who as a lot of dealers will probably buy from them and I don’t want to reveal the information as that's how I make a living. The supplier will be contacted confidentially as they have been in business for over 100 years. There’s a lot of eye balls on this post and I don't want to tell the forum my sources as it would jeopardise selling coins at the prices I do and it's difficult enough to find bargains as it is. Especially with spreads being so low. I’m half tempted to move away from bullion and focus on just numismatic pieces as it isn't economical working on the spreads I am at the moment on the bullion side.

5 hours ago, Upsidedown said:

Thoughts?

Kinda got buried but if anyone has an input that would be great.

Lots online about underweight sovs, nothing about overweight ones..