• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Problem

VeracityM

Hi guys, 

I'm hoping someone can help with this, also I'm not sure if this is the correct forum topic (if so please advise where I should post this?

I bought a sovereign very recently from a forum member that looked a little suspect and as I don't have the equipment I sent it to Atkinsons. They've just called and said that it is showing on their x-ray machine as higher purity than a normal sovereign (97% gold) and confirmed (what I thought on receiving it) that it does look too 'matt'.

They believe it's a forgery and they would want to cut it to see.

It is weighing the correct amount.

I'm unsure on how to progress here and your experience would be most welcome.

Verity 🙂

Edited by VeracityM

Just now, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Do you have pictures of the coin? If they cut it and it turns out to be real, you won't be able to get the money for a real coin as it goes to scrap.

I have to agree - don’t allow them to cut it as it’s scrap value then.

Post some detailed pictures, we some very knowledgeable collectors here which will surely be able to assist.

11 minutes ago, AOB said:

I have to agree - don’t allow them to cut it as it’s scrap value then.

Post some detailed pictures, we some very knowledgeable collectors here which will surely be able to assist.

I vaguely remember there is a member on the forum who buys scrap at 97%. Or I could have misremembered... 

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

I think my first port of call would be the seller Firstly to inform them secondly if you don't want it as it's not genuine to return it. I have bought a sovereign before from a pawn brokers. Got it home then under closer inspection became suspicious. I went back to the broker explained my doubts which they agreed and returned my funds. At this point neither of us knew the gold content. They told me they would send it off to their gold buyer for further testing. They contacted me back when they had the results. It came back as with yours a higher gold content, however, I bought the sovereign with a bit of premium. the non genuine coin could only be sold for its gold value really as once disclosed it was not a genuine coin but rather a jewellery replica. The price difference between the two was negligible. I stuck with my funds and they sent to the melting pot with their buyer as I didn't really want a replica, fake, non genuine sovereign in my collection and they thought it best to take it out of circulation, even though there was the higher gold content.

2 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I vaguely remember there is a member on the forum who buys scrap at 97%. Or I could have misremembered... 

Not too sure if I’m totally honest.. 

2 minutes ago, VeracityM said:

Yes, so Atkinsons have said it could be a jewellers sovereign and they would only be willing to pay 50% of what I paid, which was £400

I don't know what's inside and I don't know what to do here

1. Contact the seller who sold the sov to you. Explain all this evidence from Atkinsons and between you both come to a resolution. That you are happy with..

2. either return for full refund or parcel refund&keep the coin for its gold content. 

My honest opinion, I wouldn’t want a fake sov(more gold content or not).

Honestly it’s up to you buddy on how you want to proceed.

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Share a screenshot of info from Atkinsons with the seller you purchased from and ask for a return. Surely seller will stand over it?

Thanks James - So far I haven't named on here and I don't know whether I'm supposed to either? Possibly an honest mistake on their part, unsure 🙂

11 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

Looks legit to me, possibly a planchet error in carats? 

Could you explain that please (like I'm a 5 year old 🙂 )?

Atkinsons say it's coming up as 97% and they expect 91% - seems a significant discrepancy

I would have hoped that Atkinsons have enough expertise / machinery to not be amateurish - please do 'teach me' otherwise 🙂 

Edited by VeracityM

22 minutes ago, VeracityM said:

Thanks James - So far I haven't named on here and I don't know whether I'm supposed to either? Possibly an honest mistake on their part, unsure 🙂

Yeah don't name, give seller a chance to rectify privately, if they don't play ball, scream it from the rooftops lol 😆 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

43 minutes ago, VeracityM said:

Can I ask, how long ago did you buy it?  If it is within the last couple of weeks, it would be reasonable to return it and get a refund.  If it was bought months ago, I think the situation is a bit more tricky.

it was coloured different - not just usual patina of old sovs - it had a matt finish - though, to be fair, my consciousness can't really pinpoint what it was - it was a 'feeling' 😉 😄 

Edited by VeracityM

2 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Interesting.  I've bought a fair few coins on TSF and there's always that little niggle in the back of my mind, although to be fair, much less so when buying from members with high feedback than those with much lower.

it was from a 'Business Platinum' Forum Member  - so im guessing they didn't check it and its just an accidental error