• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Problem

VeracityM

1 minute ago, VeracityM said:

Then I'll auction the two halves???

Chards and specifically @LawrenceChard would give s definitive outcome, I mean as to fake sovereign or not. But only foolproof way to check if solid gold is to look inside. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

6 minutes ago, Roy said:

Can we just give a moment to give @AdamDutton a big thumbs up?

Seems like the chap did the right thing. Mistakes happen, it's how you deal with them that counts.

👍

Absolutely, I'm actually more likely to deal with him now I've seen him rectify an issue.

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

12 minutes ago, James32 said:

Chards and specifically @LawrenceChard would give s definitive outcome, I mean as to fake sovereign or not. But only foolproof way to check if solid gold is to look inside. 

I'm sure he could sort out free postage 😁

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

33 minutes ago, Orpster said:

image.thumb.png.772505b5c75717145a4f8cda02ab3d04.png image.thumb.jpeg.7fde8c626befbb0ea0ea1c36e5d425b5.jpeg

Comparing this picture to another 1876S, no real alarm bells except the colour palette so a great spot and bump of intuition @VeracityM

Though the picture from Atkinsons is a bigger alarm

image.png.c446cb224389603535cba8caf3e6aa75.png

There are quite a few subtle differences upon real close inspection, the mint mark for Sydney is twisted and in a different position and the very bottom of the neck line is shaped differently.

38 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

@VeracityM - given that @AdamDutton is sending you another sovereign, why not just scrap this coin for whatever it's worth and remove it from the gene pool (so to speak).  That would eliminate any future risk of it being passed off as something it's not.

The coin is being replaced the original coin is nigh on testing as solid gold and should be returned to Adam it’s his to melt down.

5 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

The test Atkinson’s did shows gold, SILVER and copper.

Did they use silver in the late 19th century when they made Sovereigns ?

We know they definitely used copper we’ve all seen them with copper spots.

Laurence Chard started a post with lots of info about sovereign metal content:

2 minutes ago, SlowFrog said:

The mint mark isn't really twisted, it was just the rotation and perspective differences between the two photographs. It's a shame that the 'questionable coin' doesn't have a pic directly from above because they could then be aligned better. However, it does look like it's a smaller 'S' mint mark but that isn't too odd as far as I understand? Atkinson's photo from a narrow angle was the most concerning from my perspective, otherwise I think this would probably have fooled me if I am completely honest. That's why I feel we should try to learn from it if it is a fake, and if not, then it'd be good to know that too. Could it just be a genuine anomaly? I'd love Mr. Chard's opinion on this one!

image.jpeg.gif.b9d1bfe9208768f7e6162e2a8c3ba1cd.gif

I disagree.

The S is far closer to the neckline in one of them than the other, 

1 minute ago, Sovhead said:

I disagree.

The S is far closer to the neckline in one of them than the other, 

Not sure what you're disagreeing with. I'm just saying the S isn't rotated differently as was mentioned earlier in thread. I absolutely agree that it's closer to the neckline, though! But do also look at the perspective of the suspect coin, it's clearly been taken at a bit of an angle which is why I've said it'd be great to get someone that knows what they're doing take really good (and fair) comparison photographs.

Just now, SlowFrog said:

Not sure what you're disagreeing with. I'm just saying the S isn't rotated differently as was mentioned earlier in thread. I absolutely agree that it's closer to the neckline, though! But do also look at the perspective of the suspect coin, it's clearly been taken at a bit of an angle which is why I've said it'd be great to get someone that knows what they're doing take really good (and fair) comparison photographs.

Agree with your rotation comment mate, the distance from the neckline I have problems with.

So, in the reference photo we're looking at as a genuine sov, the s is super close to the neckline. In the suspect coin, it's a little further away. Now check this one via BBP - hahaha. I have no idea what to make of any of it at this point. Full link for reference:

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-sovereign-specific-year/victoria-young-head-1871-1887/1876-gold-sovereign-victoria-young-head-s/

80634f6799b281bad3a1a3cf1c8c9a57.jpg

Edited by SlowFrog

3 minutes ago, AdamDutton said:

Is it possible that sovereign has more gold in ?

Usually a massive red flag tbh, may half a percent..sure, but not as high as 97%

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip