• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Tips for selling gold as a beginner?

ConnorG
Message added by ChrisSilver,

Please read all of the information in the QuickStart Guide to trading, before trading on the forum. Please also see the topic within this guide on ways to reduce risk as much as possible when trading on the forum.

33 minutes ago, KleinerVogel said:

Just look at the recent example, the guy who scammed, people vouched for him using the trust point system here, he used that trust to make his final transaction here an act of theft.

I seem to have missed this unhappy event. Can someone please tell me when it occurred and what was the gist of the matter? Did it involve the guy whom we are warned about by Chris in the headings of the forum? Did he completely get away with it?

I was trying to remember when the post first sale started. I joined in Aug 2016,made a few purchases from other members and made my first sale in Jan 2017 to @morezone a 5oz sunshine bar for £85 posted 😂 Have never been asked to post first,although I suppose forum wasn't as big as it is now,which probably accounts for it. 😔

6 hours ago, KleinerVogel said:

but after the recent scams from a "trusted" person

TSF system of trusted members works because we believe in it not because it is safe.

Ebay is much safer for both buyers and sellers.

More silver coins on my website

dancu.co.uk

I have always tried to work out a system that would benefit newbies as much as members with high feedback. That everyone can get the best deal and not the privilege few.

This is what I thought.  Said newbie pays into a trusted members account and once both sides acknowledge that item have been delivered, money get sent on to seller.  A few members would have to volunteer to be the holders.  I would be willing to do it a couple of times as obviously do not want my account looking like a business account. 

Edited by Spyder

Never Chase and Never Regret 

5 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Said newbie pays into a trusted members account and once both sides acknowledge that item have been delivered, money get sent on to seller

Pretty much how vinted works (my new favourite app). You still have to build a rep but the money stays in the holding account until everyone is happy. 

Takes having to trust out of the sale

Edited by Bigmarc

13 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I think your intermediary service works well, especially for hard to sell items. For someone who has only a few very simple easy for sale 1/10 oz gold coins, the fees out weigh the benefits. I know it is time consuming and you are a business and not a charity.

My idea would benefits those who only have little to sell

Totally agree.

Unfortunately it's just not worth the labour to do one or two coins in a batch.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

5 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

Don't get me started on just how fundamentally flawed Facebook is for running buy/sell forums.  For a start, the poster (scammer) can block comments on their posts, making it trivial to silence folks calling them out.  There's no meaningful reputation system, it's quite hard to collate (or even look up) historic posts (FB's default view of posts is horribly chaotic), moderation tools don't lend themselves to quick banning or even reliably reporting with some expectation of action being taken.  Facebook wants c**p on their forums - drama is in their best interests.

The weird thing about Facebook (correct me if I am wrong) is they don't let you sell coins on the market place but it's ok on the forums. 

1 minute ago, Bigmarc said:

The weird thing about Facebook (correct me if I am wrong) is they don't let you sell coins on the market place but it's ok on the forums. 

I've seen folks selling sovs on FB marketplace, but there's far more trading on the forums.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

2 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I've seen folks selling sovs on FB marketplace, but there's far more trading on the forums.

Oh, I will have to re-try it. It was a few years back and I remember them stopping me selling a load of half crowns.

3 hours ago, James32 said:

Here's the thing, the haves started of as have nots, at least I did. Trust was built using a time tested system and hard work. Nobody just joins the trusted ranks, you get out what you put in and each member has to decide/ work that out for themselves. 

Just something about "building reputation" or trying to win a popularity contest for the sake of selling a few quids worth of silver now and again just rubs me the wrong way. That's fine, it's not for me. I want to sell on my terms and not basically just hope some random stranger on the internet is going to do the right thing just because he/she is in "the trusted ranks". But as I've stated a few times, I get why this situation exists and understand why you guys like it, and that's great for you. More power to you.

It's really not much of an issue for me anyway, I didn't join this forum to buy or sell, I originally just joined for conversation with like minded people on the subject of stacking and PM. And on that side of things I have found this place to be great, lots of knowledgeable and friendly people here.

Just now, James32 said:

I completely understand your points and they are very valid, I guess it's by no means a perfect system, but we make the best of it because it's the system we have. I don't think I've ever tried to be popular, I was bor this way😆 but I do take great pleasure in being trusted, I'm from the school of my word is my bond ( becoming a rarity) outside this forum especially. As an aside, I put more faith in a members interaction than I do feedback, it tells me more about their character which puts me at ease during a deal. Feedback is only half the story in my book. 

You are trusted because you are an active participant in the community and the way you conduct yourself. 

Feedback is a worry for me as I said before. I don't think I've seen anyone with negative feedback on here and if I was not happy with something I would just not leave any (eBay as well). 

6 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

You are trusted because you are an active participant in the community and the way you conduct yourself. 

Feedback is a worry for me as I said before. I don't think I've seen anyone with negative feedback on here and if I was not happy with something I would just not leave any (eBay as well). 

Yes I'm in agreement, feedback is flawed and if I leave you justified negative you are likely to retaliate, obviously I would for fraudulent activity. But on occasions where I've been underwhelmed I've opted like you say to leave none  and just not deal with that member again. 

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

9 minutes ago, James32 said:

Yes I'm in agreement, feedback is flawed and if I leave you justified negative you are likely to retaliate, obviously I would for fraudulent activity. But on occasions where I've been underwhelmed I've opted like you say to leave none  and just not deal with that member again. 

Do you have a little black book of members not to trade with again? Asking for a bert....

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/