• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Tips for selling gold as a beginner?

ConnorG
Message added by ChrisSilver,

Please read all of the information in the QuickStart Guide to trading, before trading on the forum. Please also see the topic within this guide on ways to reduce risk as much as possible when trading on the forum.

11 hours ago, JamesH said:

Good discussion and interesting to see differing opinions. Have hopefully built a decent rep over the last 18 months and I myself started by sending a handful of items prior to payment to get things moving in the right direction. Now am able to enjoy receiving payment first and sending immediately the next day. Not had a single bad trade on the forum and the one buyer I had that was not 100% with what they received were made good as soon as I had an unblemished coin to replace the original one with. Love trading on TSF and feels safer to me than the likes of ebay

Hit the nail on the head, scammers have tried multiple times on eBay to defraud me (changed the delivery address after payment, obtained a brand new coin from myself and returned a fully scratched coin and obtained a refund. Trading on the Silver Forum taught me all the safety precautions need to take and early on when trading on the forum I was blown away with the communication and the quality packaging and service above and beyond from likes of Chards / Atkinson also help me up my game. Even now whenever I receive a high ticket valuable item (regardless of if it is a precious metal) I video record the unboxing process with proof of the date and time in the video in case something has gone wrong.

Think about this poor couple received a power bank instead of £800 iPhone when ordering directly from Apple UK unable to obtain a replacement/refund I bet if they had video evidence of the unboxing process they would not have to rely on their word alone. If this goes to a small court case it will be on the basis on the judge determining who is telling the truth, make the judges job easier, video record the unboxing process.....

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/couple-devastated-after-paying-800-28037497

38 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

TL:DR - It's about maths not trust or popularity

The value someone generates on TSF depends how much money they save when buying items plus how much profit they make when selling on TSF and elsewhere. For those who have been here a long time and made a lot of trades that number is pretty big, perhaps 10+ ozs of gold

There's membership fees and TSF merch plus posting value but that by itself is irrelevant for trade. Commenting in threads might give someone a good impression but then again it might not 😂. I comment a lot but it generates 0 sales figures

To trust someone to ship first before payment you just need to know your items are worth less than their forum value. If their forum value is high it's extremely unlikely they will ever rip you off as it would badly hurt their own self-interest

Of course many people are honourable and have moral standards but you don't have to trust in that unknown quantity - just use numbers

When using an intermediary you borrow their value to make sales on your behalf in the case of BYB or with private traders you borrow their value to gain value on the forum. When you have borrowed enough of their value you can then trade without it

The guy that scammed measured his forum value as being worth less than the money he could steal. We can calculate this to be true. He stole something like 100 ounces of silver AFAIK or £2.3K give or take. He had sold a few tubes and other small quantities of Phillies, the profit on that being much less than £2K. He didn't buy anything and he didn't comment in threads. So yes, we can calculate this was a +EV move for the scammer, if we assume he valued his soul at £0

The money available to steal had greater value than the profit from trades and forum interaction (their forum value)

When dealing with a "high trust" member the money available to steal (from you) will never be of greater value than the profit they make from trades and forum interaction. No trust or popularity is required. Sales figures and a sigma would be better

The above scamming scenario is true for every business. Sometimes it's more profitable to extract every possible penny now even if it means destroying the brand and bankrupting the company. The profit they make from trashing the brand via unethical business practice is greater than the cost of rebuilding that same business from scratch. That number can be rationally calculated and this is a known theory in finance/economics (risk-shifting). That's different from popularity or trusting someone's character, those numbers can't be rationally calculated. 

My intentions were the same as yours btw and I never intended on buying anything on TSF. Didn't quite work out that way though, too many bargains in the buy/sell 💸💸

Wow!🤗