• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Best Gold Coins to Collect for Beginners

honestinjun

If you're new to collecting gold coins, you may be wondering what the best coins to start with are. I get this question a lot. Share your experiences and recommendations for coins that are easy to find, affordable, and have potential for appreciation. What are the best gold coins for beginners to collect?

Edited by honestinjun

6 minutes ago, honestinjun said:

If you're new to collecting gold coins, you may be wondering what the best coins to start with are. I get this question a lot. Share your experiences and recommendations for coins that are easy to find, affordable, and have potential for appreciation. What are the best gold coins for beginners to collect?

the ones im selling obvs 😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

On 25/02/2023 at 10:13, honestinjun said:

I would most definitely say that gold bullion sovereigns are the way to go ..Try and get it as close to spot as you can ...depending on your budget start off on half sovereigns..That's how I first  started off as money was tight at the time .. if you can afford it at the moment a memorial half or full proof sovereign is a good investment.. these will only go up in price..you can still get these from  Chards for a good price ..But I mostly stick to bullion sovereigns

Edited by Maxx546

I started with half sovereigns when they cost half the price of a full sovereign.
Initially great prices from BullionbyPost and Hatton Garden Metals but that's 10+ years ago - all changed now because they have become coin shops ( much higher prices ) in addition to bullion dealers.
Unfortunately all our dealers ( and most private sellers nowadays ) charge a bit extra - because they can !! - so its all about your cash I hand.
If you can buy HS without paying extra go for them, otherwise full sovereigns from this site, or whoever is offering the best deal at the time - which fluctuates daily so always check.
Remember to factor in the SD cost which is significant buying fractional in single quantities.

Personally (and I’ve been doing this less than a year) I’ve settled on bullion sovereigns and half sovereigns as my primary stack, with the addition of Tudor beasts as they come out. Have now started on proof half sovereigns as it adds a more fun element of ‘collecting’ as opposed simply stacking metal. Good luck and enjoy 👍🏼

If you’re new to collecting buy what you like.    I started off with pandas May have cost me more/Oz than bullion sovs but they look better and worth more than the price difference now.   Just don’t get ripped off with internet marketing. Also don’t get caught up with some of the hype here. Just because other are pumping things up doesn’t mean you have to buy

Im new to it aswell.

Gold Britannias in 1/4s and 1/10s. Purely down to budget, id rather go ounces.

Modern sovereigns for now as i have no knowledge about them other than they are very popular. But want to diversify eventually.

Id like to say Proof sovereigns but only have one at the moment but already saving for my next.

As for silver, ive sold on a fair bit as i went mad with it when i started.

An hand full of brits every year just so i have some in the stack.

I seem to have moved towards sets as far as silver goes just to keep it interesting.

Got the 1997 Britannia proof set.

Working towards....

2oz Queens Beasts. 5+completer to go.

2oz Tudor Beasts 

1oz Proof Tudor Beasts.

Lower risk (less money to lose) with silver so "enjoy" the diversity more.

23 hours ago, honestinjun said:

Started in 2015 with silver Brits without knowing anything, seemed like a good idea at the time to put a bit of money aside, always wanted to move into gold but didn't have the budget, last year I sold my small business and thought now is my chance, I wasn't aware of TSF at that point and got caught up by a bit of pressure selling by a "coin investment company" and bought several graded coins with a view to passing these on rather than selling again.

I discovered TSF under a year ago and asked the same question  "what are the best coins etc", I went with the common recommendation of sovs and have bought quite randomly but having learnt a lot on here I am now able to be more choosy and get the idea of going for certain designs, dates etc which adds interest but these are for stacking and ease of liquidity, I have also bought higher value, modern coins from the RM such as proofs, piedforts and quintuple sovs again from reading the chat and comments about them on here and these are for leaving to my daughter. More recently I have been buying more interesting (to me) certain silver 1 oz coins and these are because I really like them and I do like silver! so the bottom line for me is sovs for stacking and liquidity, higher value, including graded for leaving to my daughter and silver to indulge myself without worrying about value, reselling etc etc.

Things I have learnt, certain "investment" companies are all over you when you have the money but if you go quiet for a bit they drop you like a hot stone. TSF has been an eye opener, great bunch of people, helpful, friendly, the best prices, full of advice and all of this gives you confidence, RM tends to be expensive, long waits having taken your money, quality can be c**p so you have to have an idea of whats expected, again, TSF members are good at discussing this! I buy from the mint with a view to longer term investing of new coins and sets. Auctions can be good but you have to be there to see the goods and avoid the extortionate fees when buying online, I don't get what some people pay online for an ordinary sov.

Good luck and stick with TSF.

Edited by danieldorkins
punctuation

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

If you're new to investing whatever you do, DON'T LOOK AT YOUR GOLD!!!!! It will hypnotise you like nothing on Earth and suck in all your cash like an imploding dwarf star or black hole. Gold fever is a thing and needs careful counselling, therapy and management, otherwise you'll end up as rich as Scrooge McDuck while living in a bedsit eating Lidl beans.

Bullion full sovereigns are a solid choice when buying as cheap as possible from reputable sources. If buying online deal with sellers with good feedback, ie; let other buyers tread there first before you take the risk. Its not Star Trek boldly going where no man has gone before lol and it's far safer treading a well worn path to a few good value coins.

Also consider renting secure storage. A house fire or burglary could wipe your stack out entirely so renting a safety deposit box should be a priority. Otherwise it's a bit like like buying tropical fish and not having the right fish tank to put them in, it's just asking for trouble lol.

1 hour ago, CazLikesCoins said:

If you're new to investing whatever you do, DON'T LOOK AT YOUR GOLD!!!!! It will hypnotise you like nothing on Earth and suck in all your cash like an imploding dwarf star or black hole. Gold fever is a thing and needs careful counselling, therapy and management, otherwise you'll end up as rich as Scrooge McDuck while living in a bedsit eating Lidl beans.

Bullion full sovereigns are a solid choice when buying as cheap as possible from reputable sources. If buying online deal with sellers with good feedback, ie; let other buyers tread there first before you take the risk. Its not Star Trek boldly going where no man has gone before lol and it's far safer treading a well worn path to a few good value coins.

Also consider renting secure storage. A house fire or burglary could wipe your stack out entirely so renting a safety deposit box should be a priority. Otherwise it's a bit like like buying tropical fish and not having the right fish tank to put them in, it's just asking for trouble lol.

LOL I live in a mansion and still eat Lidl beans (that's how I got the mansion :)