• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

I’m holding judgement until I see it.  I admit the portrait is a face only a mother could love, but the reverse and edge lettering intrigue me.  And….I still think it will sell out quickly

Edited by Sc391

21 minutes ago, Sc391 said:

I admit the portrait is a face only a mother could love, but the reverse and edge lettering intrigue me. 

Heehee. 🤭

Ironically, the appeal of the original Petition Crown was in the King’s portrait, with the edge lettering referring to its subtle beauty. 🙂

In terms of today’s coinage, having edge lettering isn’t exactly special or unique as the Royal Mine releases lots of coins with edge lettering annually.

And as for the shield, there’s nothing special about this one, and in fact there’s so many across the centuries the RM could very well do an entire series of just all the lovely shields that have ever appeared on British coinage.

There… if they’re reading this, I’ve just given them an idea for a brand new multi-year series. ROYAL ARMS AND SHIELDS. 😉

Edited by westminstrel

16 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Heehee. 🤭

Ironically, the appeal of the original Petition Crown was in the King’s portrait, with the edge lettering referring to its subtle beauty. 🙂

In terms of today’s coinage, having edge lettering isn’t exactly special or unique as the Royal Mine releases lots of coins with edge lettering annually.

And as for the shield, there’s nothing special about this one, and in fact there’s so many across the centuries the RM could very well do an entire series of just all the lovely shields that have ever appeared on British coinage.

There… if they’re reading this, I’ve just given them an idea for a brand new multi-year series. 😉

O, shield us from temptation!

32 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Heehee. 🤭

There… if they’re reading this, I’ve just given them an idea for a brand new multi-year series. ROYAL ARMS AND SHIELDS. 😉

Shields? It's gotta be the noble then hasn't it? Or the Henry VII sovereign... Although the 1989 gold issue covered this already.

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Au contraire, I think the edge lettering on a remake of the Petition Crown is going to be the most amazing thing if it recreates it faithfully, and very special/unusual, i.e. with letters that stick out and there's two rows of text!

8 hours ago, Sc391 said:

I’m holding judgement until I see it.  I admit the portrait is a face only a mother could love, but the reverse and edge lettering intrigue me.  And….I still think it will sell out quickly

“Only a Face a Mother Could Love”……I’d love to see this engraved on the edge of the portrait coin!

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

Au contraire, I think the edge lettering on a remake of the Petition Crown is going to be the most amazing thing if it recreates it faithfully, and very special/unusual, i.e. with letters that stick out and there's two rows of text!

We’ll have to wait and see…

Pictures of the Petition Crown and the edge lettering are always zoomed in, so that the text is conveniently readable with the naked eye.

In reality it’s likely going to be much smaller on the smallest 2 Oz denomination, so unless one goes in for the larger diameter or piedfort coins, that edge lettering is not something that would be immediately appreciated.

I’m more interested in whether they will mimic the convex / concave aspect, as that seems to me more unusual than edge lettering (which lots of countries, besides the UK, have even on basic circulation coins today).

All this conjecture on the design, heck I’ll be happy just to get something at issue price.  Every year I queue up for the great engravers and then end up with #3000 or something.  

Got my fingers crossed for Thursday 

It’s probably about the same as Britannia, Monarchs, etc for whatever size they produce.  Last year they made 2 oz, 5 oz, kilos, and several sizes in gold.  The talk is a two coin set so just double the prices

8 hours ago, JeffM said:

“Only a Face a Mother Could Love”……I’d love to see this engraved on the edge of the portrait coin!

On that thought, how long till they do Old Whistler's Mother?

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

We’ll have to wait and see…

Pictures of the Petition Crown and the edge lettering are always zoomed in, so that the text is conveniently readable with the naked eye.

In reality it’s likely going to be much smaller on the smallest 2 Oz denomination, so unless one goes in for the larger diameter or piedfort coins, that edge lettering is not something that would be immediately appreciated.

I'd be more impressed if they could engrave it on the edge of a silver threepence.

Well I'm missing this one :(

hopefully I can source a 2oz gold graded 70 of the better side at some stage to keep the series going

If the flippers are all over it they'll be quick back to market with over £10k to pay back to their credit card company if both are released together as speculated 

I may live to regret it but think this will flop 

18 minutes ago, Paul said:

hopefully I can source a 2oz gold graded 70 of the better side at some stage to keep the series going

If the flippers are all over it they'll be quick back to market with over £10k to pay back to their credit card company if both are released together as speculated 

The 2 Oz gold will pretty much be around the £11,000+ mark, which will make it a huge risk, and a huge upfront investment, for flippers (I think).

It’ll definitely be interesting to see what happens with this release on the aftermarket. 

32 minutes ago, Paul said:

same for me only want the reverse design in 2oz gold, will try and buy it graded at a later date. will buy the 2oz set in silver if offered one from my AM.

4 hours ago, Paul said:

I agree unless somehow it looks amazing in a way I can't imagine. Unpopular design, really expensive and as an investment the gothic crown killed confidence in the great engraver series.

They had something special with the great engravers but they had to milk it, had to up the mintage, had to make it a 2 coin set etc. when they saw the second hand markets for the first 2.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

It’s Great Engravers Eve. How is everyone coping? 😬

A lot more relaxed than previous releases. I'll attempt to join the queue tomorrow but I won't worry if I get a bad place in it. I suspect in a few months - if not much sooner - the silvers will be selling for around issue price or very possibly less so one way or another my collection will carry on being complete.

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I'm not participating :( but I'll be here for the launch queue 

2 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

A lot more relaxed than previous releases. I'll attempt to join the queue tomorrow but I won't worry if I get a bad place in it. I suspect in a few months - if not much sooner - the silvers will be selling for around issue price or very possibly less so one way or another my collection will carry on being complete.

I’m more surprised the RM hasn’t marketed it more. Maybe they’ve already reserved most for their Mint Marque customers.