• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

CGT Rates To Rise

Autumn budget today...

Apparently Capital Gains Tax allowance to be reduced along with dividend allowance over the coming years 

Individual rate currently £12300

CGT allowance 2023-24 £6000
CGT allowance 2024-25 £3000

Worth having a read of the below summary. Incase the idea of capital gains tax is new to you in terms of our PMs the gold and silver coins with a £ face value like Britannias and sovereigns, Tudor beasts, Queens beasts etc are not currently liable for CGT anyway but should you make a profit when you dispose of many silver and gold bars, profit over this threshold would be liable. Ask your 'ccoun'nt 😏

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/capital-gains-and-dividends-tax-changes-in-the-2022-autumn-statement-ac6kT0e7yZ4X

Hes not called jeremy hunt for nothing.....

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Just now, Thelonerangershorse said:

We need a nickname, what rhymes with Hunt?

Sadly I cannot put it in font 72 capitals, as i don't want to be seen breaking forum rules....

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

Lets hope he doesnt tinker about with sovereigns & britannias being CGT in future, when gold goes to da'moon ! :( 

Don't even SAY that.
You're going to give me nightmares!
This is bad enough 😞

I've been sticking to mostly British coins purely because they aren't CGT liable.

Edited by Essendie
Full stops are useful.

2 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Individual rate currently £12300

CGT allowance 2023-24 £6000
CGT allowance 2024-25 £3000

You wot m8.

Jesus wept. There was me thinking my leaning heavily towards foreign gold stack is fine because I'm never gonna sell anywhere near that amount. 

Time to start stacking the English stuff 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Lets hope he doesnt tinker about with sovereigns & britannias being CGT free in future, when gold goes to da'moon ! :( 

when we are labelled as greedy gold bug speculators 

Does that mean, if it were to happen, current stackers would lose out on profits or would the law be applicable to bullion produced after a certain date?

If that's the case, then I imagine older silver and gold bullion would be worth more. Just speculating here.

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

35 minutes ago, stackerp5 said:

Does that mean, if it were to happen, current stackers would lose out on profits or would the law be applicable to bullion produced after a certain date?

If that's the case, then I imagine older silver and gold bullion would be worth more. Just speculating here.

Well if you want my non technical analysis. 

Weve all been royally shafted up the fartpipe by an absolute Hunt.

I think he should change his name from Jeremy to Issac.... Think about it....

Edited by HerefordBullyun

5 minutes ago, stackerp5 said:

It's RRP Vs price  sold  to work out your profit 

If you make a tenner profit on a sovereign. It's a lots of sovs to sell to worry about before cgt is an issue 

. . . . .  Anything could change in future 

1 minute ago, CANV said:

looks like cash will be making a comeback! 

Not when they roll out CBDC's taxed at source, dreading it!

Just now, HerefordBullyun said:

Not when they roll out CBDC's taxed at source, dreading it!

indeed sir.  im getting all my spending on my house project done next year, using oodles of cash where poss!  i've also given up on any serious investment plans or the thought of going back to work even part time for fun, due to the tax implications.

some of the tax implications are horrific.   a graduate with a student loan earning 50k in London (yes I know thats a lot) turns out to be brilliant and gets pay rise to 70 k.   of that 20k they get to keep about 8.   

47 minutes ago, Paul said:

If you make a tenner profit on a sovereign. It's a lots of sovs to sell to worry about before cgt is an issue 

RRP would be the value of the gold content or going rate with premiums from, say, dealers?

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

48 minutes ago, Paul said:

I didn't think RRP mattered, simply what you bought it at, and what you sold it at

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Sovs are CGT exempt currently.

For bars though... Assuming you don't blow through the threshold already with the disposal of a few shares outside an ISA or maybe just taking a bit of profit on one of the investment properties. 

I bet there are people who started buying gold bars when price was below £1k an Oz only a few years ago 🤔 A few Oz and you're giving profit away 😬

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/rates

Majority of capital gains are nominal ie a product of inflation. This is horrendous news, 12k was pretty derisory imo but imagine someone stacking physical as part of their retirement planning without going the CGT exempt route 🤯

I realise CGT exemption can be reversed but you will at least have notice to liquidate.

The man from Goldman Sachs doing his bit to service Government debt, what a guy.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

4 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

The man from Goldman Sachs doing his bit to service Government debt, what a guy.

Its one big club and we aint in it.....

its always the common man who gets shafted. And if labour get in do you think they will reverse it? Probably not!

2 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Can you still use your wife's allowance? If married that is

Yes I think so, but if you are musilm and have 9000 of em I think the taxman may come knocking.....