• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie introducing myself (and asking if now's a good time to buy gold!)

katyc

16 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

Not saying hyperinflation happen in developed economies but history has a way of repeating itself.

😛

lol! Nearly moved up there. Went last year for an event and ended up passing by what I think was Heckmondwike, after some shouting and a few laughs with some ladies sitting outside the pub I thought I'd stop before riding back South, ordered a beer and I think I was charged like 2.30, went to the shop for fags and I think it was a fiver, when the landlady passed by I asked her if she had a room available cause I wasn't going back to Oxford 🤣

Loved the moors up there, some lovely walks, wouldn't mind nuking a few towns though, I'd do the same to London as well though to be honest, so it's not a Yorkshire thing, I just don't like cities. Had some good fun in Leeds, I still don't like it.

By the way, welcome to the nuthouse and have fun collect... erm... I mean, investing in Silver and Gold.

Ha ha!, thank you very much! There are many great cities up here, but he c**p weather certainly does taint it! 

13 minutes ago, katyc said:

Ha ha!, thank you very much! There are many great cities up here, but he c**p weather certainly does taint it! 

I just don't like cities any more, as population increases you lose touch with your neighbours, ideally I'd love something that is essentially an overgrown cross road with a church and a pub, yes, everyone knows everyone and your business too, it's clickey and all that stuff, but folks say hello to each other. As for the weather, I'm about to move to Wales, don't touch the subject 🤣

On topic, don't let the silver hate crew discourage you from the lovely metal, one could say that the general consensus is that gold is preservation and silver is investment, as in, if you just want to preserve wealth get gold, stack sovereigns and britannias and you'll be a happy panda, with Silver you don't really have the same stability and stacking it isn't ideal, especially because you need to think about the storage required, on the other hand, if you fancy wasting some time into looking at what's coming out, some bits can appreciate in the long run, it's more of an investment with the collectors though, and investment means risks.

It's so pretty though 😍

There's room for both, depending on the game you want to play. I have a budget way smaller than yours, in my little I'm focusing on Sovereigns first and I buy occasionally the odd silver bit that catches the eye, for example I so want one of those Korean shields with St Michael, glorious. Hope to find one next year when I have a bit more budget.

1 minute ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

I just don't like cities any more, as population increases you lose touch with your neighbours, ideally I'd love something that is essentially an overgrown cross road with a church and a pub, yes, everyone knows everyone and your business too, it's clickey and all that stuff, but folks say hello to each other. As for the weather, I'm about to move to Wales, don't touch the subject 🤣

On topic, don't let the silver hate crew discourage you from the lovely metal, one could say that the general consensus is that gold is preservation and silver is investment, as in, if you just want to preserve wealth get gold, stack sovereigns and britannias and you'll be a happy panda, with Silver you don't really have the same stability and stacking it isn't ideal, especially because you need to think about the storage required, on the other hand, if you fancy wasting some time into looking at what's coming out, some bits can appreciate in the long run, it's more of an investment with the collectors though, and investment means risks.

It's so pretty though 😍

There's room for both, depending on the game you want to play. I have a budget way smaller than yours, in my little I'm focusing on Sovereigns first and I buy occasionally the odd silver bit that catches the eye, for example I so want one of those Korean shields with St Michael, glorious. Hope to find one next year when I have a bit more budget.

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'm thinking of an equal spread on both silver and gold but the storage situation is quite expensive (I won't store it at home as I would worry too much).

I really do feel silver is due to go wild. Of course, many people will have different opinions - we all read and believe different things - so only time will tell! As long as I hold on to it long term (if it doesn't perform well short term) then hopefully inflation will out-weigh any risks. But nothing is guaranteed in life (apart from cheaper beer in Yorkshire 🙃)

26 minutes ago, katyc said:

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'm thinking of an equal spread on both silver and gold but the storage situation is quite expensive (I won't store it at home as I would worry too much).

I really do feel silver is due to go wild. Of course, many people will have different opinions - we all read and believe different things - so only time will tell! As long as I hold on to it long term (if it doesn't perform well short term) then hopefully inflation will out-weigh any risks. But nothing is guaranteed in life (apart from cheaper beer in Yorkshire 🙃)

Please, do as you feel, in the end opinions are like arse holes, we all have one and we're here to vent them. In the words of good ol' Bob, "the answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind".

Jokes aside, to me the whole "silver will explode" thing sounds like wishful thinking, it's like silver has been manipulated so far but, for some unknown reason, at some point this will no longer be possible, it puzzles me, if they've done it so far, why should they stop? What is the purpose? Too many questions.

This said, we also have very different situations and I think that this is something that we tend to forget when discussing, you have properties and are looking at expanding your horizons, whereas I'm a moron that pissed his money down the drain and is now looking at starting from the ground up, in my little I need stability, which means being more gold focused as I can't really afford to bet much, but you already have a solid situation behind you which gives you more freedom to diversify and expose to risks, in your shoes I could be making the same choices.

Edited by LemmyMcGregor

35 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

Please, do as you feel, in the end opinions are like arse holes, we all have one and we're here to vent them. In the words of good ol' Bob, "the answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind".

Jokes aside, to me the whole "silver will explode" thing sounds like wishful thinking, it's like silver has been manipulated so far but, for some unknown reason, at some point this will no longer be possible, it puzzles me, if they've done it so far, why should they stop? What is the purpose? Too many questions.

This said, we also have very different situations and I think that this is something that we tend to forget when discussing, you have properties and are looking at expanding your horizons, whereas I'm a moron that pissed his money down the drain and is now looking at starting from the ground up, in my little I need stability, which means being more gold focused as I can't really afford to bet much, but you already have a solid situation behind you which gives you more freedom to diversify and expose to risks, in your shoes I could be making the same choices.

Yes, the properties are a lovely security blanket. But who knows, maybe a plague will come along and half the population could be gone in the blink of an eye! (OK, maybe I'm going a bit too far now!)

After the nonsense the pandemic caused I'm now wondering if we need to stock up on beans and toilet roll thanks to the doom and gloom going on in the media.... 2008 Pt.2 (but apparently 10 x worse) is on the way! 

Brace yourself RECESSION IS COMING!! - Brace Yourself - Game of Thrones  Meme | Make a Meme

41 minutes ago, katyc said:

Yes, the properties are a lovely security blanket. But who knows, maybe a plague will come along and half the population could be gone in the blink of an eye! (OK, maybe I'm going a bit too far now!)

After the nonsense the pandemic caused I'm now wondering if we need to stock up on beans and toilet roll thanks to the doom and gloom going on in the media.... 2008 Pt.2 (but apparently 10 x worse) is on the way! 

Brace yourself RECESSION IS COMING!! - Brace Yourself - Game of Thrones  Meme | Make a Meme

We've got you covered!

For the zombie apocalypse check the prepping thread with a nice display of crossbows and general silliness:

As for stocking beans there was a thread somewhere where @GoldDiggerDave started listing all sort of items that appreciated better than silver through the years, beans included. I think it was in the "why is silver going down when inflation is up". Ever thought of stocking up on gold and beans instead of silver? 🤣

I'm going with spam and pemmican. I love pemmican, it's fun to do, tastes good and lasts forever.

I do genuinely believe that we are about to see a 2008 on steroid, I commented on the topic in the inflation thread and all the signs are there. 2008 was started when mortgages were de-regulated to get everyone on the ladder and then they raised interest rates, now they've done the same, all sort of helps to buy have been given, then inflation started with the lockdowns and now interest rates are going up, in between those and the rampant bills we're about to see the proverbial hit the fan.

Wouldn't we all prefer the zombies?

Edited by LemmyMcGregor

5 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

We've got you covered!

For the zombie apocalypse check the prepping thread with a nice display of crossbows and general silliness:

As for stocking beans there was a thread somewhere where @GoldDiggerDave started listing all sort of items that appreciated better than silver through the years, beans included. I think it was in the "why is silver going down when inflation is up". Ever thought of stocking up on gold and beans instead of silver? 🤣

I'm going with spam and pemmican. I love pemmican, it's fun to do, tastes good and lasts forever.

I do genuinely believe that we are about to see a 2008 on steroid, I commented on the topic in the inflation thread and all the signs are there. 2008 was started when mortgages were de-regulated to get everyone on the ladder and then they raised interest rates, now they've done the same, all sort of helps to buy have been given, then inflation started with the lockdowns and now interest rates are going up, in between those and the rampant bills we're about to see the proverbial hit the fan.

Wouldn't we all prefer the zombies?

One was Dr Marten boots 10 years ago they were £89 a pair silver was about £27 inc derailed tax……10 years on my boots are now £169 and silver is still £27. Would have been better off stacking boxes of boots and sticking them on eBay than silver……….oh c Rap I’m gonna upset the silver cult again😂😂😂😂

29 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

Hey whaddya mean 'silliness'?   We're all deadly serious over there, and zombies are real don't you know, there's bloody millions of them up here in the grim North east, you see them shuffling around out on the streets here every day!

Seriously Lemmy, you're too hard on yourself mate. If you're a moron who pissed it all up the wall then I'm a moron X10.  At least you're still young enough to get it all together again..

Edited by flyingveepixie

3 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

Not that young mate, 46 in 4 weeks and I feel like I ****ed up most of my life, at my age I don't have have a family, house or business; when you're 20 you've got potential to offer, when you're nearly 50 you haven't got much potential and if you haven't got anything to show for you're toast.

Please, don't see it as a self pity post, it is merely acceptance of my own faults and I have no shame of saying things how they are, if you want to address a problem you need to be honest about it, and this is me simply saying it how it is. I haven't said it for sympathy, I merely used it to point out how different views can be explained when you consider that we all different backgrounds.

This said, I'm here because I've turned a page, I'm moving to Wales because I plan on buying there next year, I'm selling my Harley to get a deposit and in the next 12 months I should be able to have my place, if everything doesn't go tits up... I've joined the Silver Forum to better understand precious metals and stash some away, and met some interesting characters in the process, hell, I even decided to have a dip in the stock market and got a couple of shares of my bank, so that if I have have to complain I can say I'm a stockholder, it's just pocket change to get my feet wet, but if you would have told me 5 years ago that I would have owned silver, gold and shares of anything I would called you a lunatic.

I'm a better man than I was and I am happy about the road I've taken, no regrets, but it doesn't change the past :)

Commendable and wish you every future success. We are all only one good decision away from a better standard of living. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 31/08/2022 at 16:30, LemmyMcGregor said:

Not that young mate, 46 in 4 weeks and I feel like I ****ed up most of my life, at my age I don't have have a family, house or business; when you're 20 you've got potential to offer, when you're nearly 50 you haven't got much potential and if you haven't got anything to show for you're toast.

Please, don't see it as a self pity post, it is merely acceptance of my own faults and I have no shame of saying things how they are, if you want to address a problem you need to be honest about it, and this is me simply saying it how it is. I haven't said it for sympathy, I merely used it to point out how different views can be explained when you consider that we all different backgrounds.

This said, I'm here because I've turned a page, I'm moving to Wales because I plan on buying there next year, I'm selling my Harley to get a deposit and in the next 12 months I should be able to have my place, if everything doesn't go tits up... I've joined the Silver Forum to better understand precious metals and stash some away, and met some interesting characters in the process, hell, I even decided to have a dip in the stock market and got a couple of shares of my bank, so that if I have have to complain I can say I'm a stockholder, it's just pocket change to get my feet wet, but if you would have told me 5 years ago that I would have owned silver, gold and shares of anything I would called you a lunatic.

I'm a better man than I was and I am happy about the road I've taken, no regrets, but it doesn't change the past :)

Ach man, that c**p happens to the best of us..   We as a family had to start again from scratch back in 2007 when faced with the choice of selling up or having our home repossessed - I was 47 then and managed to get through it so you have time yet. 

Edited by flyingveepixie

30 minutes ago, James32 said:

Commendable and wish you every future success. We are all only one good decision away from a better standard of living. 

Cheers James, I would have liked the post, but I've been spammy today and ran out of reactions :P

25 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Ach man, that c**p happens to the best of us..   We as a family had to start again from scratch back in 2007 when faced with the choice of selling up or having our home repossessed - I was 47 then and managed to get through it so you have time yet.  We sold up and binned the business but fortunately had the place in Italy to run to for a 6 month breather till we got our act together enough to come back and start again ( although I wish we'd bloody stayed over there I must admit lol) I got plenty other regrets too from a lifetime of making wrong and bad decisions but what the hell, you can't look back all the time and have to try to keep on moving forward and seeing the positives in life rather than the negatives, that's what I keep telling myself and if I'm completely honest I have to admit that as c**p as I might think my current situation is, I'm a whole lot better off than millions of others, having no debt and a place of my own.  From talking to you on this forum over the last few months I have every confidence that you'll get where you want to be sooner or later...

Cheers mate, I'll get there when I get there, the harder step is the first :)

Here's a question.  Would you recommend strictly staking ? Hands up how many here started purely to stack gold/silver and ended up spending far too much on numersmatic coins ? To be fair , these coins are the ones that have gave me the best financial return over the years.  

2 hours ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

We've got you covered!

Ever thought of stocking up on gold and beans instead of silver? 🤣

So you're saying I should melt my silver down, fashion it into tins and store beans in it? That could work. 😁

2 hours ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

This said, I'm here because I've turned a page, I'm moving to Wales because I plan on buying there next year, I'm selling my Harley to get a deposit and in the next 12 months I should be able to have my place, if everything doesn't go tits up... I'm working on starting a business and I've joined the Silver Forum to better understand precious metals and stash some away, and met some interesting characters in the process, hell, I even decided to have a dip in the stock market and got a couple of shares of my bank, so that if I have have to complain I can say I'm a stockholder, it's just pocket change to get my feet wet, but if you would have told me 5 years ago that I would have owned silver, gold and shares of anything I would called you a lunatic.

Good for you man. Congrats on acting on your plans and driving change. Good luck to you 👍🏼

1 hour ago, pricha said:

Here's a question.  Would you recommend strictly staking ? Hands up how many here started purely to stack gold/silver and ended up spending far too much on numersmatic coins ? To be fair , these coins are the ones that have gave me the best financial return over the years.  

I'd say depends on purpose, and knowledge. Stacking Sovereigns is easy enough to begin with, to go numismatic you have probably invested time to get to know what's what.

Edited by LemmyMcGregor

1 hour ago, SidS said:

Depends if you cook the potato first.

We need to forget the potatoes.... Robert Kiyosaki has tweeted we need tuna fish and beans 😬

18 minutes ago, katyc said:

We need to forget the potatoes.... Robert Kiyosaki has tweeted we need tuna fish and beans 😬

Tuna is for tin stacking, potatoes are for ground stacking, if you grow them where you stacked the bodies they come out humongous!

Unless you have a pond and you can stack real tuna but that would have to be a big pond.

1 hour ago, CANV said:

if anyone gets everything right in life..  they are talking bollocks .  well apart from Elon and Bezos 

I would far rather be me than either of them, despite their vast riches.

They just aren't nice human beings, and I am.

I've returned to this thread simply to applaud the honesty and kind spirit shown by all participants.

Bravo to all.
Well done @katyc for coming here and starting this thread of happiness and wisdom.

Carry on...

Stunters

Today I bought another £2000-worth of units in the Silver ETF that I hold in my SIPP.   This represented about 10% of the value of my existing holding in that fund before adding this new money.

While the price of silver may continue to go down in the short term, I am happy with the decision that I made today based on the information I have today, and I think it will have been a good decision when I look back in five years' time.

On 31/08/2022 at 07:47, GoldDiggerDave said:

One was Dr Marten boots 10 years ago they were £89 a pair silver was about £27 inc derailed tax……10 years on my boots are now £169 and silver is still £27. Would have been better off stacking boxes of boots and sticking them on eBay than silver……….oh c Rap I’m gonna upset the silver cult again😂😂😂😂

I am confused. I see your argument and what you are implying but it looks to me like all these items that are now much more expensive just go to show how much less out fiat will buy us now because of inflation. Silver being manipulated by big players toward whatever end has stayed fairly low in price meaning our less valuable fiat can still purchase similar amounts. If silver is viewed as a  investment for shorter term gains it is likely a poor one (unless the believers are right and it shoots for the moon) but because of the artificially low and fairly stable silver price it has been acting more like gold in that it can be seen as a store of wealth. I understand it is less efficient due to premiums and size required for storage but I think it wins out against trying to stack it's equivalent in value of doc martin's after sales tax and storage unit fees. 😂