• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How to collect every sovereign ?

Hey guys so how do you collect and know what every sovereign is ? I see they release a book every year . Within that book what’s new about it compared to previous issue ? Is there a current list of every sovereign ? Is it purely based on dates only ? So theoretically a new collector could start from 2022 and work their way backwards ? 

I can picture the twitching eyebrows and hear the furious tuts of the many sovereign enthusiasts here!

You will no doubt get a very detailed reply explaining why you couldn't do this. As well as needing bottomless pockets to even get close, some sovereigns are unobtainable (I'd imagine...)

I look forward to reading the replies.

You can always make a start. You can really do what you like. Maybe date run backward or start a date run of Edwards or Gillicks etc 

Whilst I didn't set out to collect a date run of sovs I did a stocktake of what sovs I have not too long ago and there aren't that many dates left from 1850. I still buy the best deals usually even if it means duplicates though I'm not that committed to pay more than best value prices but it's a fun goal to have on the back burner. 

If you get into all the different mint mark combinations and years you'd expand the list quite considerably. There are plenty of more experienced collectors than me here that can add to this.  

The books you mention will perhaps update any changes or corrections and perhaps prices. 

If you want to collect Sovereigns the Marsh and the Spink book are a good way to start. There every sovereign is mentioned. Collecting sovereigns is not only based on dates but also on mintmarks. In books there are also varieties  mentioned. You can start collecting bullion sovereigns and buy them at best value or you can go for the more expensive proof (and struck on the day coins). 2022 is a great year to start a collection in my opinion because this year sovereigns feature a special design. I personally try to buy older uncirculated sovereigns or new ones with special reverse like (2002,2005,2012,2017,2022) and modern proof sovereigns and let a few of them grade. It is completely impossible to collect every single sovereign because there are so many different dates, mint marks and varieties and some pattern coins that are probably unice. As others mentioned before small date runs like Gillicks are relatively easy to do and can be fun.

The Spink and Marsh book's are very good. Collecting each Monarch/Design first is a good place to start. This is what I did, focusing on 'Modern' sovereigns (from 1817 onward) in the first years of issue and eventually trading up to get the best grades for my budget as I got deeper into the into the subject. Collecting every soveriegn is quite difficult and very expensive, so I've had to become comfortable having an incomplete set (not going to help your OCD). 

There are an awful lot of variations too, which i've steered clear of personally as my pockets simply aren't deep enough. Also some Sovereigns are much more expencive than others, there are very expensive ones like the 1937 George VI (Proof only and mintage of 5.5k) which can go for several thousand even in bad condition, and some Sovereigns are just impossible to get, like the 1936 Edward VIII sovereign, which rarely comes for sale and could fetch several hundred thousand pounds (I believe one of these sold for a record setting £1m recently). 

Auctions are a good place to get earlier and slightly more elusive Sovereigns, however through wisdom on the forum i've learnt even reputable auction houses dont check for authenticity. There have been some blantant fakes spotted from just looking at the pictures in detail, so some caution needed. Overall, I think collecting Sovereigns is really enjoyable and you get to own a piece of British History, which I feel can only increase in value. Sovereigns can also be an enjoyable and more interesting way to grow your 'stack' as many earlier monarachs can be picked up at very low premiums over spot, particularly on the forum. 

Good Luck, there are lots of people that can help here as your venture deeper. 

It might be cheaper to start at 2022 and work forwards 😀

Some sovereigns are extremely rare. I bet even @LawrenceChard hasn't had many 1819 sovereigns over the years.

A type set would be more achievable. If you want to go down the date set then 1842-1914 London mint only would be do-able. Dates before 1842 are more varied in availability, some like 1817 are easy enough, some like 1838/9 are harder, some like 1841 and 1819 are practically unobtainable. The same issue occurs when one goes beyond 1914 into the George V era. The London mint 1917 is a no go. The branch mints throw up some very rare coins in the 1920s.

The 1950s onwards are much easier if you want to go into the Elizabeth II bullion era.

Hi @Ukbullionfan

This would be a Herculean task and I suspect would need to be treated as a full time job.

So to give you an idea of the task my master (detailed) spreadsheet of all Sovereigns shows the following distribution.

The below is what is known according to Marsh plus my own updates of items missing or incorrect in Marsh.  New errors / over dates / over letters are discovered weekly and Marsh certainly does not contain all errors.

Equally, there will be varieties that have yet to be identified (but I think this will be a small number).

Some of the Low "R's" below can be sourced for ok prices, but they will be in poor condition. High "R's" are seriously expensive in any condition - some are essentially unobtainable.

Best

Dicker

Population of Sovereigns across Monarchs and Mints - including Marsh 'Errors' (1817 - 2017)

Count of Master Index Column Labels                  
Row Labels Edward VII Edward VIII Elizabeth II George III George IV George V George VI Victoria William IV Grand Total
Bombay           2       2
India     1             1
London 12 1 89 15 25 10 2 169 19 342
Melbourne 9         22   59   90
Ottowa 4         8       12
Perth 9         22   3   34
Pretoria           13       13
Sydney 9         17   79   105
Grand Total 43 1 90 15 25 94 2 310 19 599

Scarcity Rating (I know I have a couple of Gaps)

Values  
Row Labels Count of Master Index  
C 145  
N 129  
R 42  
R2 38  
R3 37  
R4 30  
R5 29  
R6 43  
R7 21  
S 79  
Grand Total 597  

C = Common

N = Normal

R = Rare

S = Scarce

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Or maybe the OP is extremely rich and wants to literally collect every sovereign ever made 😀

Either collecting all the special reverses or all the monarchs portraits seems to be the gateway drug into collecting sovereigns.

I'd just be careful about what theme you decide to collect as many of them contain sovereigns that are nigh on impossible to acquire.

2 hours ago, SidS said:

It might be cheaper to start at 2022 and work forwards 😀

Some sovereigns are extremely rare. I bet even @LawrenceChard hasn't had many 1819 sovereigns over the years.

A type set would be more achievable. If you want to go down the date set then 1842-1914 London mint only would be do-able. Dates before 1842 are more varied in availability, some like 1817 are easy enough, some like 1838/9 are harder, some like 1841 and 1819 are practically unobtainable. The same issue occurs when one goes beyond 1914 into the George V era. The London mint 1917 is a no go. The branch mints throw up some very rare coins in the 1920s.

The 1950s onwards are much easier if you want to go into the Elizabeth II bullion era.

There are often 1917 London Mint sovereigns for sale on ebay and elsewhere, including local auction houses. Some of them may even be genuine, but I would not gamble on it!

😎

Chards

15 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Hey guys so how do you collect and know what every sovereign is ? I see they release a book every year . Within that book what’s new about it compared to previous issue ? Is there a current list of every sovereign ? Is it purely based on dates only ? So theoretically a new collector could start from 2022 and work their way backwards ? 

Start with whatever you can buy at low premiums.

When you get duplicates, either resell them, or exchange them with other collectors, stackers,  TSF members.

Don't chase after rare ones to start with.

Be flexible. Don't tie yourself down to a particular type or project, and reject others which might be a better buy.

For example, many years ago, circa 1964, we found it difficult to get collectors to buy George III, George IV, and William IV, because they wanted to complete Victoria to date first. At the time pre-Victorias were cheap!

Other collectors were reluctant to buy shield sovereoigns, because they preferred St. George, or because they wanted to complete their St. George set first.

It used to be so frustrating to try to give people good, sound advice in their own interest, and get excuses why they were not ready to accept the advice.

😎

Chards

Good question mate, I’d love to see a complete collection.  The answer the person would need hundreds of millions and even that would not guarantee every one minted from 1489 to 2022. 

Ive seen undated trial £5 sovereigns that I don’t think 2-3 million would buy them. 

23 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

For example, many years ago, circa 1964, we found it difficult to get collectors to buy George III, George IV, and William IV, because they wanted to complete Victoria to date first. At the time pre-Victorias were cheap!

Other collectors were reluctant to buy shield sovereoigns, because they preferred St. George, or because they wanted to complete their St. George set first.

😎

Remarkable.

Nowt as queer as folk

Not my circus, not my monkeys

17 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Buy the book by Marsh ISBN 978-1-908828-36-1 and you will quickly discover that you will never collect every sovereign.
However you might start a hobby of collecting as many different dates but expect several gaps.
Looking earlier than young Victoria will also require deep pockets.
Very nice challenge and other than rare coins and key dates, use spot price of gold ( approx 7.3g in a full sovereign ) plus 5% to indicate value.

19 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

I forgot to mention that this heritage site used to have almost every sovereign listed in an easy to find way:

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/datesexist.html

😎

Chards

Oh gosh, I am SO glad I didn't get into collecting anything but moderns seven or eight years ago (other things were far more achievable then, I'd say that now even with unlimited funds it's impossible)...

I would go for a run of more modern QEIIs (including Proofs) and/or Gillicks...I think I could just about handle the latter...the former are already (in the last five years or so) becoming 'too rich' for me :(

They might well be an investment, but having OCD myself they would drive me absolutely nuts, and my pockets are not that deep...if starting now I would go for Gillicks (but again if you have OCD it might be best not to start!)

Edited by kimchi

A complete date/mint set of modern sovereigns is practically impossible to collect even if you are obscenely rich.

A complete type set of modern sovereigns (that is, one of each main obverse design, main reverse design, and main mint mark) is relatively possible (assuming that you exclude an Edward VIII type example) but would still require a spend in the tens of thousands of pounds.

Alternatively (and in line with advice previously given above) -decide how complete of either type of set you want to go for, and then acquire the items as and when.

Personally I've always been a type set collector, although I've not attempted to do this for sovereigns.  If anything I'm a date collector of sovereigns and all of mine are post-1999.

1 hour ago, SidS said:

My rule was always 'circulation strikes' only

i have several friends/people that i know that collect sovs. Each one does that according to his own preferences; everyone consider his way the right one. We discuss-ed endless hours, trying to convince each other... thing is... we all realized long time ago we will never be able to complete a full date run..

someone collects per monarch, someone per mint, someone per ovberse, or per reverse, someone only circulated sovs, someone only bullion etc etc.. 

18 minutes ago, refero said:

i have several friends/people that i know that collect sovs. Each one does that according to his own preferences; everyone consider his way the right one. We discuss-ed endless hours, trying to convince each other... thing is... we all realized long time ago we will never be able to complete a full date run..

someone collects per monarch, someone per mint, someone per ovberse, or per reverse, someone only circulated sovs, someone only bullion etc etc.. 

Oh by no means am I knocking anyone else's preferences for collecting. I was just giving an example of how I cut the field down to make it more manageable/affordable.

To go slightly OT - there was one collector I heard of who collected 1934 wreath crowns - he was trying to get all 932 of them. I thought that was quite novel.

Edited by SidS

9 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I forgot to mention that this heritage site used to have almost every sovereign listed in an easy to find way:

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/datesexist.html

😎

Thanks for this it’s a great help. Even by the years where it says none existed . It’s actually an interesting read. Also crazy to think before 2000 there was only proof sovereigns for down years.