• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gillick Head Sov Price?

KevjustKev

17 minutes ago, tallthinkev said:

Half thinking about selling my date run of Gillick head Sov's, any idea of a fair price? Looked at the price dealers are selling for, and, as normal, all over the place, so £3650?

Assuming bullion grade, yes that seems reasonable.  The 57 & 59 can be moderately difficult to source in a good grade.  If they are EF or better you might be able to get a bit more.  

I assume you have all 10 Gillick sovereigns and that you have checked the compare gold prices page on the forum ?

https://www.thesilverforum.com/compare/uk/

With the current spot price which is £345.60 x 10 = £3,456

So you suggested price (£3,650) is reasonable. But for someone to buy all ten might want a slight discount.

34 minutes ago, dicker said:

About right - suspect you may find easier to sell individually rather than as a date run.

Feel free to give me a shout if you are selling - I am always looking to upgrade my Gillick collection!

Cheers

Dicker

Would also appreciate a heads up if you decide to sell individually 😁👍

Thanks,
Bob

Listing them as a set might take time, list them individually on here and they will go quicker than sh!t off a shovel... probably only need to make one tip to the postie too, just 10 single parcels

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

4 hours ago, tallthinkev said:

Half thinking about selling my date run of Gillick head Sov's, any idea of a fair price? Looked at the price dealers are selling for, and, as normal, all over the place, so £3650?

ATS are quoting £3750 for x10. Personally I wouldn’t be selling any Gillicks!  At the end of QE11 s reign these are going to be so popular I believe, if not already. Everybody should be BUYING them……🤗

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

ATS are quoting £3750 for x10. Personally I wouldn’t be selling any Gillicks!  At the end of QE11 s reign these are going to be so popular I believe, if not already. Everybody should be BUYING them……🤗

Two sides to Gillicks. Some dealers still sell them as close to spot as they get, others with a big premium.

Personally they are a favourite because of the design and colour, which to my eye is the best of QEII’s reign!

Well done Kev for the date run.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Whilst I like the Gillick obverse, my preferences are the 2nd and 3rd portraits, by Arnold Machin and Raphel Maklouf.  However, I do not like the the portraits by IRB and Jody Clark, perhaps because they are more recent. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between them IMO.

Anyway, I present to you 'Gillicks Galore!'.... from 1970, including sovereigns - 2x1958s with 1957 centre.

IMG_3374 (2).JPG

For reference, here is a price guide published in 1974.

Note the premiums for the lower mintage years!

Very few of the dealers listed in the guide are still around.  Chards (R&L Coins) and Spink are the only ones that I could see still trading today!

A89B25E5-C33C-4490-9969-62618415CA0C.jpeg

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 minute ago, dicker said:

Very few of the dealers listed in the guide are still around.  Chards (R&L Coins) and Spink are the only ones that I could see still trading today!

I'll take 6000 at that price mate! 

On 13/08/2022 at 15:34, Britannia47 said:

Whilst I like the Gillick obverse, my preferences are the 2nd and 3rd portraits, by Arnold Machin and Raphel Maklouf.  However, I do not like the the portraits by IRB and Jody Clark, perhaps because they are more recent.

Slightly OT I know, but I'll have to leap to the defence of the IRB obverse - it's not my favourite, but it is by far the most accurate of the portraits used imho. It really captured her look in 1998 - very life-like.

The Maklouf wasn't great in that I don't think it bore much relation to how the queen looked in 1985, and was criticised at the time for being too youthful.

The Machin is my favourite, but likewise I don't think it looks much like the queen did in 1968 - the hair looks wrong.

The Gillick is a weird one, no matter how much I look at it, I still, as I did as a child, think... "Why is she naked?"

The Clark is very much like the IRB.

On 13/08/2022 at 18:05, dicker said:

How many has @LawrenceChard got left at these prices? I'll have two of each please... 😁

6 hours ago, SidS said:

Slightly OT I know, but I'll have to leap to the defence of the IRB obverse - it's not my favourite, but it is by far the most accurate of the portraits used imho. It really captured her look in 1998 - very life-like.

The Maklouf wasn't great in that I don't think it bore much relation to how the queen looked in 1985, and was criticised at the time for being too youthful.

The Machin is my favourite, but likewise I don't think it looks much like the queen did in 1968 - the hair looks wrong.

The Gillick is a weird one, no matter how much I look at it, I still, as I did as a child, think... "Why is she naked?"

A fair and perceptive appraisal, though I think myself that the Machin portrait makes H.M. look a bit 'foxy' (even if that adjective can be seen as a compliment these days, I believe) and the Maklouf overdoes her admittedly very fine head of hair. Also personally I rather like the IRB and JC efforts. I see what you mean about the Gillick, though my main criticism of it is that the engraving of the face is somewhat lacking in precision and depth, despite the Mint calling in another artist (Cecil Thomas) to improve on the original, as I have read.

8 minutes ago, RDHC said:

I see what you mean about the Gillick, though my main criticism of it is that the engraving of the face is somewhat lacking in precision and depth, despite the Mint calling in another artist (Cecil Thomas) to improve on the original, as I have read.

The 1953 strikes were terrible. The recut 1954 dies were much better.

The thing I always liked most about the Gillick was the legend arrangements, a real nod to Elizabeth I coinage.

On 15/08/2022 at 11:43, SidS said:

Well, I will never look at the Gillick portrait again in the same way, after you explained about your childhood fantasies!  😃

Anyway, here's another look at all the candidates for best portrait and the winner is.......?  (Your personal preference!)

I am sticking with the 'Maklouf', which was only done in Proof.

IMG_3401 (2).JPG

6 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Well, I will never look at the Gillick portrait again in the same way, after you explained about your childhood fantasies!  😃

Anyway, here's another look at all the candidates for best portrait and the winner is.......?  (Your personal preference!)

I am sticking with the 'Maklouf', which was only done in Proof.

IMG_3401 (2).JPG

Defo Gillick follwed by Machin IMO.

5 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

LOL - the thing with that is, on the UNC condition and Proof strikes you can see the edge of her jacket/coat. However, all the Gillick coins I saw were out of my change and after 30 years or so of circulation, there was no trace of that clothing, I can tell you! 😁