• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

new to the game!

Welcome to the forum,

Sovereigns are a solid choice in the uk, comparably affordable, very easy to liquidate owing to their popularity and plenty of choice to satisfy any collector 'itch' you have.

I started by just buying the current year sovereign whenever I had spare cash and sticking them in a tube.  In recent years I have moved onto collecting date runs and special issues but I stick only to Royal Mint sovereigns (I wont touch anything from other mints, apart from potentially Guernsey or IOM).  I will buy on here or from reputable dealers where I will buy best value or minty sovereigns then sell any duplicates I end up with on date runs when spot is high or I need to fund a large purchase.  Dealers I would recommend, Atkinsons when they have bundle deals, Chards, Tavex (but only for current year sovereigns), Bleyer when they have a good offer, Britannia Coins for best value sovereigns.  I have used a handful of others but tend to stick to those few either for the service or because they tend to have the best prices.  I avoid BullionbyPost unless they have something on special which they do occasionally, they are expensive though to be fair their service is good and they have a lot of good information on their site (second only to Chards in that respect).  I also buy in Facebook groups but tend to buy from the same 3 or 4 guys who are dealers rather than just Joe Public.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys in this forum and many of them will be generous with their knowledge.  There are also a lot of naughty boys but remember when you see the insults and sarcasm flying, they are just having the craic.  I would recommend buying a silver membership even if you only keep if for a month to try it, the good deals fly away before none-premium members even get to see them.  There is also a great price comparison tool available to premium members that has easily saved me the cost of silver membership in the time I have had it.

Good luck with your adventure, and remember only spend what you can afford to have tied up (took me a while to work this one out).  Gold needs to be liquidated to fiat to spend so try not to put all your eggs in one basket.  Selling at the right price is never difficult on here but you do not want to be in a position where you have to sell when spot is low and make a loss.        

1 hour ago, Orpster said:

Welcome to the forum,

Sovereigns are a solid choice in the uk, comparably affordable, very easy to liquidate owing to their popularity and plenty of choice to satisfy any collector 'itch' you have.

I started by just buying the current year sovereign whenever I had spare cash and sticking them in a tube.  In recent years I have moved onto collecting date runs and special issues but I stick only to Royal Mint sovereigns (I wont touch anything from other mints, apart from potentially Guernsey or IOM).  I will buy on here or from reputable dealers where I will buy best value or minty sovereigns then sell any duplicates I end up with on date runs when spot is high or I need to fund a large purchase.  Dealers I would recommend, Atkinsons when they have bundle deals, Chards, Tavex (but only for current year sovereigns), Bleyer when they have a good offer, Britannia Coins for best value sovereigns.  I have used a handful of others but tend to stick to those few either for the service or because they tend to have the best prices.  I avoid BullionbyPost unless they have something on special which they do occasionally, they are expensive though to be fair their service is good and they have a lot of good information on their site (second only to Chards in that respect).  I also buy in Facebook groups but tend to buy from the same 3 or 4 guys who are dealers rather than just Joe Public.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys in this forum and many of them will be generous with their knowledge.  There are also a lot of naughty boys but remember when you see the insults and sarcasm flying, they are just having the craic.  I would recommend buying a silver membership even if you only keep if for a month to try it, the good deals fly away before none-premium members even get to see them.  There is also a great price comparison tool available to premium members that has easily saved me the cost of silver membership in the time I have had it.

Good luck with your adventure, and remember only spend what you can afford to have tied up (took me a while to work this one out).  Gold needs to be liquidated to fiat to spend so try not to put all your eggs in one basket.  Selling at the right price is never difficult on here but you do not want to be in a position where you have to sell when spot is low and make a loss.        

Thank  you for the welcome, as dealers have been mentioned as above, thank you Orpster, how do members on here view Bath Spa Capital?

Long learning curve ahead but good to start!

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

3 minutes ago, danieldorkins said:

Thank  you for the welcome, as dealers have been mentioned as above, thank you Orpster, how do members on here view Bath Spa Capital?

Never heard of them until now,but seems to be mostly proofs or grade coins and you have to contact for a price??? Its a no from me.

Check...

Chards.co.uk 

Atkinsonsbullion.com 

Tavexbullion.co.uk 

ATSBULLION.COM 

sharpspixley.com 

Hatton garden metals 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

18 minutes ago, James32 said:

you have to contact for a price???

Top tip, if your on a computer right click and select view page source (in chrome), prices are all in the source code but hidden in the GUI. 

There is a quick key for it in IE but I forget what it is

26 minutes ago, danieldorkins said:

how do members on here view Bath Spa Capital

Not one linked to from the Forum, not all dealers are on the compare page and it is only for bullion prices.

Unless I was after a very specific item does not look like a dealer I would bother checking either

3 hours ago, danieldorkins said:

3 hours ago, James32 said:

Never heard of them until now,but seems to be mostly proofs or grade coins and you have to contact for a price??? Its a no from me.

Check...

Chards.co.uk 

Atkinsonsbullion.com 

Tavexbullion.co.uk 

ATSBULLION.COM 

sharpspixley.com 

Hatton garden metals 

It looks like @James32, had summed up almost everything I was thinking, except for the last 5 dealers he listed. I can vouch for the first one very highly.

Disclosure: I do have a close connection, but...

If Chard aren't the best, then I / we still have work to do!

😎

Chards

19 hours ago, danieldorkins said:

Hi one and all

Have dabbled in silver for several years, by dabbling I mean buying without really knowing what I am doing! now moving into gold with even less of an idea, however I do read a lot and try to learn so all help is very welcome. At this point of time I am drawn to sovereigns but get side tracked easily! thanks for reading.

18 hours ago, James32 said:

Welcome aboard. 

You won't go wrong with sovereigns, just make sure to buy from reputable dealers or members on here.

6 hours ago, daca said:

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

I have taken it upon myself to provide a few words of caution to new members:

Be wary of people welcoming you aboard, as a lot of TSF members have boating accidents.

😎

Chards

19 hours ago, danieldorkins said:

Hi one and all

Have dabbled in silver for several years, by dabbling I mean buying without really knowing what I am doing! now moving into gold with even less of an idea, however I do read a lot and try to learn so all help is very welcome. At this point of time I am drawn to sovereigns but get side tracked easily! thanks for reading.

Welcome to the forum! 

Thanks for such a welcome, until discovering this forum, as a beginner I felt a bit out on my own so its good to see such diverse interests along with so much knowledge!

Re. Bath Spa, having made a query regarding prices I was contacted by them, I am of an age that I will check everything out, especially when it involves money! I was quite impressed with their "presentation" and could find nothing to flag up any warnings, they specialize in proof coins and to a novice their advice made sense, having made a purchase from Atkinsons I felt confident to give Bath Spa a go and I was happy with the purchase, coins and quality were as advertised and price was comparative to other suppliers mentioned on here, so far so good. I was looking to buy from them again but after spending a bit of time on here I am confident to sound out the recommendations from yourselves and hopefully will get a better idea as to the direction I want to head in, as they say best not to have all your eggs in one basket.

Cheers.

I try to buy gold with my head and silver with my heart, sometimes..........I just get it wrong!

Britannia Coin Company

AllGolds Coins

Cambridge Coins

Worth trawling their sites from time to to for a well priced sov. I've used all three and have had no issues...good to deal with.

Welcome.

I joined last year in a similar position to you, I had dabbled in gold and silver without really knowing what I was doing. I would recommend taking at least a silver membership which will give you a fair chance of picking up the best offers on here. From my experience, even with modest purchases you will save more than the membership cost. I found reading old posts was also very helpful in building up my knowledge.

Enjoy your new hobby. 

• Founder & Administrator

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme