• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Thinking of buying in store but I’m paranoid.

7 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

So I am wanting to purchase some gold bars or coins in store in London was thinking ats or sharps . Both reputable companies I know. But if I go there and ask for what I want to be tested should I feel embarrassed ? Would they do that for me ? Or would I get laughed off the premises with the whole “do you know who we are” line. Lol.

what would be a good procedure for me purchasing gold in store for the first time but wary of what I’m getting with the amount I want to part with. 

thanks for any replies in advance :)

IMHO, I would go with gold Britannia's.  If you read up on the security features of the Britannia, you can then inspect the coin to confirm authenticity before purchasing.  The security features on the Britannias are really good, and it is extremely unlikely for a counterfeiter to duplicate all the features.   To save you some time, here's the list of security features you should look for:

1) Lower left corner of Britannia's gown is another trident.  When you move the coin, you can see the trident change into a padlock.

2) Waves in the background will appear to be moving when you move the coin side to side.

3) Britannia's shield has tincture lines highlighting the Union flag.

4) Around the border of the waves, written in micro-text are the words "Decus et Tutamen."

All of these security features make it extremely difficult for counterfeiters to copy.  If any of the 4 security features fail the visual test, you should return the coin and run as fast as possible.

And as some have mentioned already, buying from a well known and established bullion dealer is your first line of defense against buying fake coins.

Good luck!

Edited by SilverStorm

Why don't you visit the store simply to get a feel for things? Ask a few questions about what you are interested in.

Why not spread your purchases over time? Pop into the store and buy a sov or whatever each month. Then you can check things over in private to your hearts content. First sign of trouble only a relatively small amount of your cash has been compromised.

You don't need to blow your whole inheritance or whatever in one go unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, in which case I'd sit on the cash and read a good money management book :D

Edited to add: As pointed out in other comments, you are not in greater danger of getting fake gold in a store than you would be buying online. 

Edited by GoldDabbler

Love to be able to purchase in a local shop. Other than pawn shops the only shop that sells coins locally to me appears to go for very expensive proof sovereigns etc. with very little leeway in prices. Nice to look at though! 

My limited experience of buying from dealers / big institutions is that they are highly professional.  My favourite institution (Perth Mint) has a side area for serious punters buying and selling.  

They have an XRF machine that they use for incoming bullion and the lovely girl serving me even showed my my bullion being tested on the way out as I purchased  (at my request - just see how it worked).

Curiously they did take Amex for in person sales in 2018.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Tell them you are paranoid or concerned  a genuine company will appreciate this, ask them what they can do to prove it's genuine ask them if you were selling to them what checks would they do?  Why not you always learn from asking questions.  

This would be a good question to ask a few different companies.

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

@Ukbullionfan

An elegant way of approaching the testing question. 

When you are there you could ask some general questions, start with roughly explaining your plan then just say that you've a few questions before you go ahead..

For eg you could ask what are their most popular items, where do supplies come from, what would be the process if you came back to sell in the future, what are the best ways to verify authenticity, at which point they'll probably explain the methods they use or might even show you, if not you could simply ask which of the methods they use. 

Much better than just walking in.. 

Hi, can you test this for me... 😂

When I've purchased items in person at ATS, they have always been extremely polite and professional, even when i was a total newbie and wanted to ask the most basic questions. I've never actually asked them to test my purchases, but i have seen someone selling in there, they discussed what he wanted to sell, then came out with a tester and tested the items with the customer, that way both parties were fully involved with the process and there was no debate about what the machines reading was. I very much doubt they would object if you wanted the items testing in front of you before parting with your money.

12 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

So I am wanting to purchase some gold bars or coins in store in London was thinking ats or sharps . Both reputable companies I know. But if I go there and ask for what I want to be tested should I feel embarrassed ? Would they do that for me ? Or would I get laughed off the premises with the whole “do you know who we are” line. Lol.

what would be a good procedure for me purchasing gold in store for the first time but wary of what I’m getting with the amount I want to part with. 

11 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Ask Someone like Mr @LawrenceChard would know highly experienced in this field!

11 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Yeh good shout. Shame they don’t have a store in London. I would be there every week lol.

There is no need to be paranoid about buying "in store", where you can see the goods, see the people, ask questions, get answers.

It's a pity that Royal Mail problems are putting you off postal delivery; hopefully they should start to improve again soon, and they are still good compared with many other couriers and delivery services.

Certainly the two dealers you name should give no cause for concern or doubt, and either would be almost as good as a well-known Blackpool dealer.

I suggest you phone them first to ask whether they could test anything you buy. I am sure they get stranger requests, I know we do!

You could even come to Blackpool to buy and collect, many people do.

Years ago, when Ryanair used "Blackpool International Airport", we had a customer who lived near Stansted, who walked from his home to his local airport, flew to Blackpool, walked to our showroom (about 12 minutes, although our new showroom is 15 minutes away). His travel costs were 99 pence each way.

You would need to make an appointment, but might get a tea or coffee.

ID checks are similar everywhere, but we do get slightly suspicious about anyone with an Essex accent!

We do attend one of the London coin fairs, but I don't know off-hand which is our next one.

Good luck, whichever way you choose to go.

🙂

Chards

12 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

12 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

There is no need to be paranoid about buying "in store", where you can see the goods, see the people, ask questions, get answers.

It's a pity that Royal Mail problems are putting you off postal delivery; hopefully they should start to improve again soon, and they are still good compared with many other couriers and delivery services.

Certainly the two dealers you name should give no cause for concern or doubt, and either would be almost as good as a well-known Blackpool dealer.

I suggest you phone them first to ask whether they could test anything you buy. I am sure they get stranger requests, I know we do!

Years ago, when Ryanair used "Blackpool International Airport", we had a customer who lived near Stansted, who walked from his home to his local airport, flew to Blackpool, walked to our showroom (about 12 minutes, although our new showroom is 15 minutes away). His travel costs were 99 pence each way.

ID checks are similar everywhere, but we do get slightly suspicious about anyone with an Essex accent!

We do attend one of the London coin fairs, but I don't know off-hand which is our next one.

🙂

Would this:

help to influence you?

😎

Chards

13 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

What would be deemed suspicious ?

Me turning up in a track suit like a chav with a hat on with a few grand in cash ? lol. ? Is that on the right lines.

Turning up dressed as Mr Blobby, speaking with a heavy Russian accent, carrying an umbrella on a sunny day with a particularly spiky tip and/ or having a few hundred thousand in a briefcase. That should tick some suspicious boxes!

44 minutes ago, MonkeysUncle said:

Turning up dressed as Mr Blobby, speaking with a heavy Russian accent, carrying an umbrella on a sunny day with a particularly spiky tip and/ or having a few hundred thousand in a briefcase. That should tick some suspicious boxes!

Reminds me of this ..

Thanks for all the replies. And is Lawrence Chard actually him or a worker person he has controlling his account ?  I always thought he was the guy from betfred. Maybe a cross over dream I had lol.

anyway I’m going to venture to London at some point and purchase some bits.

another stupid question, if I turn up in shorts and a vest as I probably will hit a gym when I go will they look at me like a thug ? Or should I go suites and booted ?

6 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Another stupid question, if I turn up in shorts and a vest as I probably will hit a gym when I go will they look at me like a thug ? 

Only if you skip leg day. Also if you buy silver instead of gold then you probably won't even need to hit the gym. Just lugging around the back breaking weight will be a workout enough 😁👍🏽

On a serious note, I've not been thrown out of anywhere for my choice of attire since school. 

Thanks for all the replies. And is Lawrence Chard actually him or a worker person he has controlling his account ?  I always thought he was the guy from betfred. Maybe a cross over dream I had lol.

another stupid question, if I turn up in shorts and a vest as I probably will hit a gym when I go will they look at me like a thug ? Or should I go suites and booted ?

As a general rule in life, I would advise:

(1) Wearing gym clothes only in the gym

(2) Never under any circumstances wear brown shoes with a suit in London, but particularly in the City.

You *may* get slightly better service if you don’t turn up looking like a member of the “Unofficial Caravan Club of Great Britain”

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Some millionaires are the most scruffily dressed buggers you'd ever be likely to see, and also some unemployed women love wearing designer brands. Never judge a book by its cover and all of that. Wear what you want lol it's nobody's business. 

Edited by GoldDabbler

21 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

🙂

Do you plan to attend the Midlands coin fair this year too? @LawrenceChard

20 minutes ago, Solly said:

Do you plan to attend the Midlands coin fair this year too? @LawrenceChard

Personally, no, because I don't have a motorbike licence, 😎, but if I tag @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer in to this, more information may be forthcoming about coin fairs.

I do know that coin fairs divert a lot of our resources, which would otherwise be used on our internet / telephone / postal part of our business.

Chards

10 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

As long as you don't stuff a tube of Britannias down your shorts on your way home, you should be alright.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, darkninja1985 said:

Just out of interest at the coin fairs, do they generally just take card as payment or can you use cash too?

I think most dealers will accept most methods of payment at coin fairs, athough the last I personally attended was a World Money Fair in Berlin about 6 years ago.

Chards

14 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

I always thought he was the guy from betfred. 

This creased me up! Not really sure why but it did.

The clue is in the name. Lawrence will take your cash and give you shiny stuff in exchange. Fred will take your cash and give you a piece of paper that will likely soon become worthless in exchange (or is that just me?)

2 hours ago, MonkeysUncle said:

This creased me up! Not really sure why but it did.

The clue is in the name. Lawrence will take your cash and give you shiny stuff in exchange. Fred will take your cash and give you a piece of paper that will likely soon become worthless in exchange (or is that just me?)

"give you a piece of paper that will likely soon become worthless in exchange". That's what banks do!

Chards