• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Dilemma - advise seeked

fmadmarq

Good afternoon Silver Forum community...

I have came across 1 Young Head Victoria Gold Sovereign 1860 - condition around Fine 15

and another

1 Young Head Victoria Gold Sovereign 1852 - condition around Very Fine around 35.

Price is similar - I want both but I am not sure if I can currently afford it.

I have gone through the Marsh book and 1860 seems "Scarce" at app 2.56M mintage, while 1842 is "Normal" at 4.8M mintage...

If you had to pick one, how would you advise me?

Best! :)

20 minutes ago, fmadmarq said:

I have came across 1 Young Head Victoria Gold Sovereign 1860 - condition around Fine 15

and another

1 Young Head Victoria Gold Sovereign 1852 - condition around Very Fine around 35.

I have gone through the Marsh book and 1860 seems "Scarce" at app 2.56M mintage, while 1842 is "Normal" at 4.8M mintage...

The original mintages of sovereigns from that date range don’t really reflect how many have survived today as many were melted down in the following decades.

The forum members that James has tagged will likely advise you much better.

21 minutes ago, fmadmarq said:

and another

10 minutes ago, James32 said:

I used to be indecisive about this kind of thing, but now I'm not so sure,

I suggest the better grade one, or...

Spin a coin.🙂

Chards

The 1852 is indeed common and the 1860 scarce with quite a few interesting varieties.

However, I've no idea what a Fine 15 example would look like. I have seen VF35 shields and TBH unless they were very rare years or varieties, I'm not sure I would want to own one.

You do not mention price. The answer might well be neither😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

If you really want me to sort your dilemma, buy them both and send the to me for free. I will caring look after both for them and I promise to send you 1 annual photo of each coin to show that ive looked after them for you! :P 

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, fmadmarq said:

Thank you all for your input, you are great! :)

Yes, I feel a bit paralyzed in my choice but, I think picking best quality trumps rarity!

What is your buying price ? there has been some lovely shield sovereigns being sold on the forum for £380 each during the past few days 👍

Always buy what you like the look of, if sovereigns are highly worn then alway make sure they are not under wight.   The Marsh guide does not always show every single variant for sovereigns and I'd always pair this book up with the lates copy of Spink,  also what is helpful for Jubilee heads are copies of DISH.   

There are many recorded variants/errors (some not recorded) for both the 1852 and 1860 sovereigns so these can effect the scarcity ratings. 

Types 35, (C)35A, (R) 35B, (R3) 35C (R4)  for the 1852

Types 43, (S) 43A, (R3)  43B, (R) 43C, (R)  43D, (R4) 43E (R4)  for the 1860

Cheers

Dave 

Sorry for the late reply I'm cutting down down and splitting around 30 tons of wood and still got 30-40 tons to go.  @James32

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

Due to the condition of both, I would buy neither.

In that condition you are purely buying the gold bullion value and there is very little collector value in there.

Neither are very scarce which would alter things so save your money, save up some more and buy a decent coin in better condition that you will definitely enjoy more because you will see the detail.

Be selective for a more satisfying experience and enjoyment of the hobby.

Happy hunting.....

@fmadmarq any pictures.  Some people on here only want a plastic box with a label with the highest possible grade.

If you can get these for a reasonable price then they can be enjoyable to own (remember that folks owning a coin for the enjoyment?)

And who’s doing the grading? A VF 1852 from @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer would be a hell of a higher quality from the likes of the Royal Mint.  I’ve bought from both and there’s a massive difference.

14 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

It's just the same with women.

😎

For some reason when I read your reply, I didn't read the post you were quoting, but I had @Midasfrog's quote about purchase one now and ask the dealer to put one on one side for later. So of course, I spat my tea out!

🤣

Edited by SidS

10 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Always buy what you like the look of, if sovereigns are highly worn then alway make sure they are not under wight.   The Marsh guide does not always show every single variant for sovereigns and I'd always pair this book up with the lates copy of Spink,  also what is helpful for Jubilee heads are copies of DISH.   

There are many recorded variants/errors (some not recorded) for both the 1852 and 1860 sovereigns so these can effect the scarcity ratings. 

Cheers

Dave 

Sorry for the late reply I'm cutting down down and splitting around 30 tons of wood and still got 30-40 tons to go.  @James32

DISH?

Chards

9 hours ago, SidS said:

For some reason when I read your reply, I didn't read the post you were quoting, but I had @Midasfrog's quote about purchase one now and ask the dealer to put one on one side for later. So of course, I spat my tea out!

🤣

Remember that quantity is quality.  But a sovereign in the bush is worth two in the hand...

12 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

And who’s doing the grading? A VF 1852 from @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer would be a hell of a higher quality from the likes of the Royal Mint.  I’ve bought from both and there’s a massive difference.

As the OP is in the US, I assumed he was referring to Sheldon grades.

A F15 roughly equates to aF in real money, sorry the UK system😉😁 while a VF35 is around gF. So all in all pretty poor specimens. Neither coming close to a VF in the UK, a Chards one or otherwise😎

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

14 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

DISH?

David Iverson, Steve Hill.  

I find these a useful reference for Jubilee head sovereigns, eg 1887M  S3867 DISH M2.

They reference the varieties with the Jubilee head, 1st 2nd legend the differences within the J.E.B. Etc.

dish.jpg

On 14/03/2022 at 07:24, GoldDiggerDave said:

Cheers

Dave 

Thank you Dave! Probably off topic, but wanted to ask regarding the under weight sovereigns. I have to admit that I have some underweight Vicky Young Heads which I have tested and they appear to have the right metallic content. They are shield backs and I have purchased them from TSF sponsors. Nevertheless they vary between 7.93-7.96g. Does that make them inferior? I imagined that it should be normal for 200 years of use to lose some gold content? Appreciate