• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Dilemma - advise seeked

fmadmarq

@papi1980 Off the top of my head the minimum legal tender weight for a sovereign is around 7.937g.

As for being inferior I’d say no, I like sovereigns that have been circulated and have die breaks, it all adds to the coin in my opinion.  I often wonder what life these coins have had, how many hands they have passed through and how many times they have been around the world. 

There’s a trend for having coins in the best possible condition (which I also like) but there’s some real pleasure to be had in collecting sovereigns that show they have been in circulation there’s bargains to be had. 

Hello all,

Sorry for my disappearance... Mix of busy with work, getting all the coin images and managing family dealings so I can "rescue" these coins... If I was home I would have just finished the deal myself... 🙊 I have no way of testing the veracity of the coins since I am across the pond and my family does not have the knowledge to discern either.

By looking at the images, I naively think that they "look genuine"... I do not think that there are specific varieties or major 1 inversions, A instead of V's etc. They are all Type 1A Young Victoria except one that I have seem Type 1B 1869 half-Sov die 23.

The seller is pricing the Sovereigns at £406 and the 1/2 Sovereigns at £406 (independently of the year). 

Some coins have clear wear, hairlines, edges, sometimes scratches, one has a vampire bite in the neck... 

I genuinely would like your "brutal" input (@GoldDiggerDave, @LawrenceChard, etc) if you reckon these are worth acquiring and which you would prioritize based on their apparent state. Currently, my budget is limited so I cannot acquire the bulk of it...

Struggled to compress and get all images in, hopefully they will still have a decent resolution...

The Halfs are in a PDF

The Sovereigns

Sov57_vic 2.tifSov60_shield 2.tif

Sov53_vic 2.tifSov57_shield 2.tifSov53_shield 2.tifSov52_vic 2.tif

Sov42_shield 2.tifSov42_vic 2.tifSov52_shield 2.tif

Sov60_vic 2.tif ahlfsovs_silver forum.pdf

On 14/03/2022 at 07:24, GoldDiggerDave said:

Sorry for the late reply I'm cutting down down and splitting around 30 tons of wood and still got 30-40 tons to go.  @James32

I'm not convinced about your maths there.

Have you tried using logs?

😎

On 15/03/2022 at 08:55, papi1980 said:

Thank you Dave! Probably off topic, but wanted to ask regarding the under weight sovereigns. I have to admit that I have some underweight Vicky Young Heads which I have tested and they appear to have the right metallic content. They are shield backs and I have purchased them from TSF sponsors. Nevertheless they vary between 7.93-7.96g. Does that make them inferior? I imagined that it should be normal for 200 years of use to lose some gold content? Appreciate

Yes, but if you get any 1841s that are underweight, I would still take them off your hands at a premium.

😎

Chards

The half sovs are nice enough, the 1846 is rare but the condition doesn't justify £406 per half in my opinion.

Anyway, they are decent enough shield sovs, better than you originally stated. Based on the pictures, I like the 1842 and 1852 although the 1860 obverse looks to be as bad as you said, the reverse not so bad. The 1853 would look better if the WW on truncation was incuse, it's not clear from the photo.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

Yes, but if you get any 1841s that are underweight, I would still take them off your hands at a premium.

😎

Underweight Young Vickies should be a good option..;) 

11 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

😎

No, I'd take them from him at spot price. 😁 Seems you've outbid me!

10 hours ago, fmadmarq said:

@sovereignsteve - My mistake the Half Sovereigns are at £214, sorry...

Thank you sovereignsteve and LawrenceChard! :)

It's just as well that @garyg was not aware of your mistake. 

If he had bought one at £406, then found out you had "totally screwed me over", this would grow to a 5 page topic overnight.

😎

Chards

Thank you all for the feedback! :)

I have another (annoying) question: 1851 half-sovereign - moderately uncommon versus scratches marks. It seems to have still some shine in it, the hair above her hear is a bit flat and there are clear marks, scratches/wear on the open fields... Price proposed £214.

Would this coin be a potential go, or a potential pass? 🤔

half1851vic.tif.ziphalfshield1851.tif.zip