• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's your favourite piece of silver?

SilverAngel

Silver definitely has its ups and downs, but which type would you hold onto more than anything else   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Silver definitely has its ups and downs, but which type would you hold onto more than anything else

• Older Coins
    • Modern Coins
    • A little of both
    • Definitely Poured Silver, no question about it.....

Silver definitely has its ups and downs, but which type would you hold onto more than anything else......?

Would it be that modern, high graded proof with a low mintage and sort after by many vibe or the historic piece that has been through countless hands and travelled, who knows where, in its its lifetime. Is it the one that is a little different from the "norm", that gets you excited. Or those that are a depiction of people, places or achievements that when you look at it, you feel comforted by and will never part with.

To me its like music.... It depends on the mood you may feel at the time.... Holding a 200 year old crown can make you think of history and therefore spark memories of your own past that are gone but hold dear, whilst modern coins can make you look to the future and think... will this be here in 200 years from now?... and how much can I get if i flip it now or next week 🤣  

As a silver pourer each piece that is made I wonder who will look at it in years to come and ask a question on TSF with its millions of subscribers... Whose Hallmark is that 🙂

As a collector... its all the above for me, with a definite bias towards older coins and poured silver (now I couldn't say anything different could I).... So what's your "weakness"

Edited by SilverAngelPouring

Website: https://www.silverangelpouring.co.uk/  Facebook: Silver Angel

Hallmarked by the Edinburgh Assay Office...  "Its your guarantee" of fineness and quality

The part of my collection I'd NEVER part with is my Temptation of the Succubus set from the Pheli Mint, bought from a member off here, the design for these coins on the Obverse has a very interesting and personal story for the designers and of course the reverse is a tad naughty and very appealing..... for its own reasons 😉

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

I have purchased a couple of pieces of poured silver...low denominations but I'm not a fan of poured silver,with respect to all that who  pour silver....I think in years to come they will be harder to liquidate than bullion britannias,ase's,Maples Philharmonics, Kooks,krugs etc that are recognisable all over the world and government backed... personally I'd pick a 1 2 or 5oz bullion coin rather than the same weight of a poured silver bar for example.

But it all comes down to what you like and find aesthetically pleasing to the eye. But with the amount of fake bars that seem to be more prevalent on certain  sites for  instance that are easier to counterfeit than bullion coins it makes people think twice before purchasing..but to each there own..just not for me,I just don't find bars exciting as most are plain and similar in design....but just my humble opinion...

Regards. 

52 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

I have purchased a couple of pieces of poured silver...low denominations but I'm not a fan of poured silver,with respect to all that who  pour silver....I think in years to come they will be harder to liquidate than bullion britannias,ase's,Maples Philharmonics, Kooks,krugs etc that are recognisable all over the world and government backed... personally I'd pick a 1 2 or 5oz bullion coin rather than the same weight of a poured silver bar for example.

But it all comes down to what you like and find aesthetically pleasing to the eye. But with the amount of fake bars that seem to be more prevalent on certain  sites for  instance that are easier to counterfeit than bullion coins it makes people think twice before purchasing..but to each there own..just not for me,I just don't find bars exciting as most are plain and similar in design....but just my humble opinion...

Regards. 

Interesting points... so hallmarking an item then wouldn't provide some levels of comfort on quality and content?

1 hour ago, Gordy said:

The part of my collection I'd NEVER part with is my Temptation of the Succubus set from the Pheli Mint, bought from a member off here, the design for these coins on the Obverse has a very interesting and personal story for the designers and of course the reverse is a tad naughty and very appealing..... for its own reasons 😉

Yeah very nice and I can see the appeal 😉

Hallmarked by the Edinburgh Assay Office...  "Its your guarantee" of fineness and quality

Of course...no one would purchase any silver bullion bar without the appropriate  hallmarks. I'm just saying bullion bars whether gold/silver that are poured just doesn't appeal to me...but that's just my opinion..I know alot of people love poured or minted bars from bullion dealers are very collectable and desirable..just not my thing.

Regards.

Voted for old coins.

I have new coins and have had plenty in the past but I am now at the point where I don't even take them out of the capsules. I have never owned any poured silver probably the fear of the same thing happening. It would be interesting to know if I had a piece on display whether it would tarnish over a few years? 

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

Voted for old coins.

I have new coins and have had plenty in the past but I am now at the point where I don't even take them out of the capsules. I have never owned any poured silver probably the fear of the same thing happening. It would be interesting to know if I had a piece on display whether it would tarnish over a few years? 

Yeah, I know what you mean... a lot of my "newer" coins are still in their boxes, tucked away whilst I have older coins on my desk and accessible 🙂

1 hour ago, KevinFlynn said:

Government minted bullion coins 😊

I like the feeling of something institutional.

I agree I like to have tubes on Brits on my desk (alongside the older ones) just to lay out and look at haha

7 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Of course...no one would purchase any silver bullion bar without the appropriate  hallmarks. I'm just saying bullion bars whether gold/silver that are poured just doesn't appeal to me...but that's just my opinion..I know alot of people love poured or minted bars from bullion dealers are very collectable and desirable..just not my thing.

Regards.

And that's the beauty of collecting PMs there is a range to fit everyone's taste.. No one will ever take my QBs away from me 🙂

Historic silver coins are what i would keep 'til last if i was forced to liquidate.

Gold and platinum would be the first to go followed by silver bars and then the silver coins. Silver rounds next and, finally, the historic stuff. This is based on the amount of pleasure i derive from each of the catagories coupled with ease of selling.

Actually the order in which i would liquidate is in direct inverse proportion to the effort that was involved in purchasing. Something i really hadn't thought of before....

It's difficult, my being older to define 'old coins; we've had  Elizabeth II Sovs since 1957 now, after all. 

But I have a love of proper silver coins in 1kg size/s, so I guess those have been a weakness as I've got some nice ones.

My first to go would be 1 Kg and 1,000 Oz bars, although I prefer and have bought the older ones, more-so where a mint is shown, but that has been bought out and merged into another, so the name lives on, sort of.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

Well a tough one because one of my favourites wasn't an option. I really love silver spoons, especially Georgian ones, so tactile and milky silvery sheen.

So I picked older coins. Anglo-Saxon pennies, I just love them. They scream silver in a kind of Viking, hack silver kind of way.

I also love Roman silver denarii, imagine the things they've seen. Although I've never had one, I love those Athenian owl tetradrachms. Seen many in antique shops etc. Never managed to take the leap. One day though, I've got to get one.

I also like the old milled silver 8 reales, proper pirate coins.

10 minutes ago, SidS said:

Well a tough one because one of my favourites wasn't an option. I really love silver spoons, especially Georgian ones, so tactile and milky silvery sheen.

So I picked older coins. Anglo-Saxon pennies, I just love them. They scream silver in a kind of Viking, hack silver kind of way.

I also love Roman silver denarii, imagine the things they've seen. Although I've never had one, I love those Athenian owl tetradrachms. Seen many in antique shops etc. Never managed to take the leap. One day though, I've got to get one.

I also like the old milled silver 8 reales, proper pirate coins.

I've just been looking at the Athenian owl 1oz high relief Cook Islands.. its a beauty but £160 seems abit steep..but I'm tempted.

There are quite a few varieties of silver that I enjoy a good bit.  Lacking any poured silver bars in the stack, although I really enjoy the look of them.

However if I had to narrow it down as much as possible it would be a tie between Morgan Silver Dollars and silver Kennedy Half Dollars.

I couldn't pick an absolute  favourite piece as I like all of my collections & depending what I am collecting at the time determines my current favourites. All lunar series one silver proofs, all queens beasts, all silver kook proofs & last but not least my carry pieces

P1010830.thumb.JPG.cb2ed5e2942571e916a25298c94d0f36.JPG

P1010782.JPG

P1010821.JPG

P1000532.JPG

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

On 10/09/2021 at 14:06, MetalMandible said:

There are quite a few varieties of silver that I enjoy a good bit.  Lacking any poured silver bars in the stack, although I really enjoy the look of them.

However if I had to narrow it down as much as possible it would be a tie between Morgan Silver Dollars and silver Kennedy Half Dollars.

I love Kennedy half dollars and have a weakness and have (probably too many) 64s 🙂

On 10/09/2021 at 14:10, motorbikez said:

I couldn't pick an absolute  favourite piece as I like all of my collections & depending what I am collecting at the time determines my current favourites. All lunar series one silver proofs, all queens beasts, all silver kook proofs & last but not least my carry pieces

P1010830.thumb.JPG.cb2ed5e2942571e916a25298c94d0f36.JPG

P1010782.JPG

P1010821.JPG

P1000532.JPG

All of those are very nice...... Perth Mint one of my favourite mints and they do do some nice stuff

The voting does seem to show what I thought may have been the type of result.... To me it shows even though we stack we are "collectors" at heart 🙂

I like silver in any shape. But for sure my vote goes to older coins.

I will try my top 10:

1. LMU .900 silver - all of them😊

2. British old currency .925;

3. British old curency .500;

4. Russian old currency .900;

5. German old currency .900;

6. Spanish old currency (Franco) .800;

7. Mexican old currency .720;

8. Austro-hungarian old currency .833;

9. Netherlands old currency .720;

10.American old currency .900.

Regards,