• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New coins coming soon.

10 hours ago, Sc391 said:

I received this email today:

Paying tribute to the life and legacy of a gifted writer, skilled poet and respected scholar, soon we will celebrate JRR Tolkien on a UK £2 coin. 

Don’t miss the opportunity to honour the man who created an entire mythology of captivating tales from his invented realm of Middle-earth.

Available to buy from 9am BST, 21 August 2023. 

Also the Strike Your Own coin on the RM tour from Monday

3 hours ago, Olivard said:

Also the Strike Your Own coin on the RM tour from Monday

I'm gutted, I'm not well enough to make the journey to Wales but I shall be ready to hit the Royal Mint online site at 9am Monday morning!

6 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I normally seem to miss out on everything too, but I actually got this one! I did probably opt into it on https://www.royalmint.com/subscribe/ though.

Yes I've registered to be notified there on a number of occasions but it doesn't seem very reliable to me unless my legendary inability to use this modern internet thingy is getting in the way of positive result!

13 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I normally seem to miss out on everything too, but I actually got this one! I did probably opt into it on https://www.royalmint.com/subscribe/ though.

It’s weird… I do usually check that page every so often and subscribe to be notified about the various releases, but their communication is a bit hit and miss. 

6 hours ago, paulmerton said:

The design is simple and classy, but instead of those repeating concentric patterns around the JRRT monogram, and the English edge inscription, I feel like David Lawrence should have incorporated at least one of Tolkien’s languages, and one of the many heraldic motifs he designed, somewhere on the coin.

Either way, the design isn’t bad at all, and I intend to get the 1oz silver and a couple BUs as a memento. 😎

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

The design is simple and classy, but instead of those repeating concentric patterns around the JRRT monogram, and the English edge inscription, I feel like David Lawrence should have incorporated at least one of Tolkien’s languages, and one of the many heraldic motifs he designed, somewhere on the coin.

Either way, the design isn’t bad at all, and I intend to get the 1oz silver and a couple BUs as a memento. 😎

Totally agree, the designer really has missed a trick, a series of runes representing 'one ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them' or something alone those lines as there is so much to choose from in Tolkien's world it would have given an extra layer of interest and depth to the design 

5 hours ago, Zhorro said:

Not much of a queue this morning.

Too expensive! And the weight is way low! What happened to the 62.2 grams weight and 999 purity!

The Royal Mint should move away from sterling.......Why? Because in some countries you pay taxes on sterling silver while not for 999 purity.

2 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:

Too expensive! And the weight is way low! What happened to the 62.2 grams weight and 999 purity!

The Royal Mint should move away from sterling.......Why? Because in some countries you pay taxes on sterling silver while not for 999 purity.

Where's 62.2g coming from? Bimetallic £2 coins have always been 12g since 1997 unless I'm missing something, and most £2 bullion coins are only 1oz.

It's also a commemorative coin, not a bullion coin for investment, so tax probably isn't a concern for most. It's already well above its intrinsic value. Besides, where the Royal Mint is, you have to pay tax on any kind of silver coin regardless of its purity.

That Thomas Edison looks way better in gold to my eyes - not that I'd buy any flavour from RM currently.

Edited by Coverte
gold

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

I've just noticed that https://www.royalmint.com/great-engravers/petition-crown/ryi/ now says:

"Register your interest to be notified about the launch of Great Engravers Petition Crown 2023 UK 5oz Silver Proof Two-Coin Set."

No mention of any other sizes, so does that mean the 5oz silver will eventually come at some point further down the line?

I’m not sure if Tolkien is a moneymaker, but it looks good and he has a very large, multigenerational following.  I’m in that last group- I first read his books about 55 years ago……

Seems like a lot of the Lord of the Rings coins sell well

update - the Piedfort did finally sell out

Edited by Sc391
Update

@paulmerton they canceled and refunded my order so I think 5oz silver is done.  On to the next “hot” issue.

Wishfull thinking, but with no 5oz the total mintage for this Petition Crown release just became smaller - maybe a bit more desirable???

Edited by Sc391