• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Photo Thread...

Photographing slabbed coins definitely has its own set of challenges.  Lower contrast, internal and external reflections.  Even cloning out the holder, if you are really keen.

Lighting is critical.  I expect I will write up a tutorial, once I've worked it out myself.

image.thumb.jpeg.095cec83094c06ec958b8e24afaa6ec2.jpeg

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

4 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Photographing slabbed coins definitely has its own set of challenges.  Lower contrast, internal and external reflections.  Even cloning out the holder, if you are really keen.

Lighting is critical.  I expect I will write up a tutorial, once I've worked it out myself.

image.thumb.jpeg.095cec83094c06ec958b8e24afaa6ec2.jpeg

agreed - royal pain in the arse

On 05/04/2023 at 17:42, Charliemouse said:

'1925' Sovereign.

In the late 40's, when Britain needed money after WW2, they decided to make some more sovereigns.  But since they wanted to save as much money as possible, they just reissued the 1925 design.  So this is technically a restrike.

It's difficult to tell the difference between the 3+ million original 1925 coins and the 880,000 restrikes, but apparently the restrikes have a more defined and raised ridge.  This one definitely does, and the reeding is nearly perfect.  So either I have a really good example of an original 1925, or a pretty good example of a restrike.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb496b08d2677af1b9df58e85322dce2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.30e706859f9fd1ad9d80d87c2a5ec926.jpeg

It's nice - you can see the original finish, even on most of the effigy.  I know shields get all the love but I have a soft spot for George V sovs - McKennal's portrait is nice, and you can get them in good condition fairly easily.  Plus, they've got a pretty complex history - and they're the only effigy that has been produced by every single mint.  IMO George V sovs are a bit underrated.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

40 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

2007 Quintuple Sovereign

Photographed at various angles.  I'm not very satisfied with the edge shot (first pic).  Just looks weird and distorted to me.  I was hoping it would show some depth, which it does to an extent.  I may have to play with the lighting some more, to brighten the coin's edge.  I do like the face lighting though.  Thoughts?

Face lighting is really nice like how it looks 'touchable' like you want to give it a feel :D , really love the bigger coins for photographing they look stellar!  you could isolate the edge in PS/whatever post processing software you use and adjust the levels on that bit to try and bring it out more... I find whatever lighting I add to solve a problem usually introduces more and sometimes the only fix is messing around with my lasso tool for contrast and brightness 

13 hours ago, andrewse said:

Face lighting is really nice like how it looks 'touchable' like you want to give it a feel :D , really love the bigger coins for photographing they look stellar!  you could isolate the edge in PS/whatever post processing software you use and adjust the levels on that bit to try and bring it out more... I find whatever lighting I add to solve a problem usually introduces more and sometimes the only fix is messing around with my lasso tool for contrast and brightness 

Interesting.  My photography skills are better than my Photoshop skills, so I do often struggle getting realistic masked enhancement.  I will certainly give it a go though.

But I will also have a go at shooting again, with slightly different lighting.  I have a spot light that I could try, instead of the very diffuse panels.  That might help to highlight the edge.  And I will reduce the angle a little.  I think I was basically 45 degrees, then it foreshortens the coin so much it makes it look weird.  30 degrees should be fine.

Always more to learn.

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

On 21/04/2023 at 23:34, Charliemouse said:

Enhancing the edge definitely helps.

I masked the edge with Lightroom and increased the exposure by ~1 stop.

Good job - looks a lot better and does not look weird or artificial at all :)

Post processing is an art in itself

On 07/04/2023 at 23:16, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

A 1902 circulation issue £5. Though same mintage as the matt proof I feel as if there are far fewer around, or I could be mistaken.

I wish I could doba £5 date run, but no... some £5 are very difficult to find and even harder to pay for.

20230407_214238.jpg

I think the payment system is fairly straightforward these days.  Just do a bank transfer for the £400,000.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

On 21/04/2023 at 09:18, Charliemouse said:

2007 Quintuple Sovereign

Photographed at various angles.  I'm not very satisfied with the edge shot (first pic).  Just looks weird and distorted to me.  I was hoping it would show some depth, which it does to an extent.  I may have to play with the lighting some more, to brighten the coin's edge.  I do like the face lighting though.  Thoughts?

20230420-145322-DSC_2500-Edit.thumb.jpg.9edef4fca4ab9c953060327c8793e74d.jpg

20230420-145038-DSC_2487-Edit.thumb.jpg.a30bed5500d6d7b407dce1d1bd3f0312.jpg

20230420-144807-DSC_2472-Edit.thumb.jpg.6eae81a90ff1dbefba47eafb074aa4a5.jpg

I’m not the best at photography, but this looks great.  A 2007 sovereign is my favourite coin and this one looks magnificent. Great job 👏👏👏👏👏

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2023 at 20:03, 0laf5on said:

You've got some really beautiful photos of stunning coins here. I was playing around today with my little dusty Canon EOS100D with kit lens and put bullion vic sov between old microprocessor pins (24k gold plated). 

image.thumb.jpeg.21b65a7db27895e8384e99ef3813bff2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5c709d9f2639487d1a1f4a1f12007749.jpeg

Love the art of it.  Although you've got a couple of bent pins there.  🤣

11 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

First shakedown of the shiny new Sony A6400

After a bit of faff to get it set up and playing nicely with its tethering software, I've gotten this pic with a small ring light that just fits neatly over the lens.  It's far enough away that it doesn't look too ghostly and not too flat.  No axial lighting box in use.  Here's a 1913 George V Sov.

image.thumb.jpeg.7fdc2d147d07670fff35791b48382eb4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.341328bb94339ad383515ac29e9d699d.jpeg

(Should really post this in the photo technique section, rather than here.  Maybe move it, or ask a mod?)

The contrast ratio on that thing is insane.  You may want to start exporting as PNG instead of JPG, to show it off even more.

I would just under expose a tiny smidgen, as it's almost too bright.  Shows the surface texture really well.

As for the lighting, humans are used to perceiving light coming from above, whereas you have shadows on the top.  This makes it looks like the coins are concave.

2 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Love the art of it.  Although you've got a couple of bent pins there.  🤣

True. But coin is not so great and old, so is CPU. I will straighten them up for session with proof coin😅