• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Photo Thread...

9 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

The 1918 was a bit over exposed I think.  I wound the exposure down for the others.  May re-do that one later.

Your previous photos were spot on, I don't know if you wrote down the settings you took them at, but I'd return to that.

Buy high. Sell low.

2 hours ago, SheepStacker said:

Your previous photos were spot on, I don't know if you wrote down the settings you took them at, but I'd return to that.

The last lot were taken through Dr. Dave's dohickey.  These are taken on light reflected off white card taped to the bottom of the phone from below and from a LED panel through tracing paper from above.  

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

My collection of first-and-last sovereign heads.

• 1843* - 1887
  • 1887 - 1893
  • 1893 - 1901
  • 1902 - 1910
  • 1911 - 1928
  • 1929 - 1932

There were earlier young Victorias, back to 1837, but they get exponentially more expensive; I'm good with a '43 for now.  And of course there were a few 1937s, but if anyone can sell me one and I get to keep my house, I'm open to offers.

What is it about '37?

image.thumb.jpeg.eb9dfa4d631aafecd817f4d558f1c1f2.jpeg

(The photograph isn't amazing, although it is more impressive at full res.  I stacked about 12 images, with panning and refocusing.)

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

15 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

Think 1838 was the first year of the Young Vic sovs. 

According to the good book, there are 1837s, but they are stupidly rare.  Probably less than 30 known.

15 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

Britannia Coin Co had one a while ago, think they were asking 3 grand for it.

I might keep the house, but probably not the wife.

Edited by Charliemouse

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

23 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Interesting I thought 1838 was first year and William IV was 1837. I will do some more reading thanks 🤓

There were William IV sovs in 1837.  But also a handful of Vics.

3 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

There were William IV sovs in 1837.  But also a handful of Vics.

Probably similar to those elusive first ones of Queen Elizabeth, but where is the information about them?

6 minutes ago, Petra said:

Probably similar to those elusive first ones of Queen Elizabeth, but where is the information about them?

Marsh rates the first QEIIs from 1953 as R6: 3 or 4 known to exist.

Of the 1837 Vics, four different types in a mixture of R5 and R6, which is where I got the <30 number from.

Edited by Charliemouse

Picked up a few more '68s.  You can't have enough spares...

20230126-135135-DSC_1672-Edit.thumb.jpg.80e7f69f4b831ca860f32d14a3bdf63e.jpg

20230126-134726-DSC_1671.thumb.jpg.fa36c296f383b198ff254cf6b20ecb70.jpg

The Gorgeous Georges, all together

image.thumb.jpeg.386538124e91df15845d5485ac6c89e6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.72d7d0d28ab83813b186ed79f29c3b50.jpeg

Focus is still a bit ropey on some, unfortunately.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

It's nice actually, in pretty good nick.  If only the folks actually flogging sovs could take photos this good.

2018 plain edge, SOTD 5th birthday of Prince George.

Used a new second light source from the right, to bring up the relief a little.  Lots of focus stacking, about 20+ images for the obverse at 1:1, and 70+ images at 2:1 for the reverse.  The latter was way too much effort, and I will probably just stick with 1:1 in the future.

image.thumb.jpeg.31bce4a2cb04ce225b84c6272ecc4df4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.71e5ba820965331bde6b9d4838633fb2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.12ed33479a7b3dbdbb5f5f96aabc98eb.jpeg

2 hours ago, modofantasma said:

sovvvvs.thumb.jpg.90526f91f984c05485b5c3d38cc82490.jpg

🤤

See if you can make your camera take RAW format pictures.  Then you can convert to JPEG with a much lower loss.  There are a pretty decent variety of free photo frigging apps available off the interwebs.

Another experiment with capturing lustre - 1931 George taken with a mixture of axial and incident lighting - Light through Dr. Dave's Patent Axial Lighting Dohickey and shone in from an angle to provide a bit of specular reflection.  Shows a bit of the original lustre of the coin with anisotropic reflection visible in the fields.

image.thumb.jpeg.955bf446a9d543818621e7f258b84e12.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.52359f0b6d955f829231d719b00a9d4e.jpeg

On 28/01/2023 at 17:57, ArgentSmith said:

First effort on this thread a Vicky Shield I recently traded, (crude methods employed) taken with iphone 11 and window sill for lighting,  thought it captured detail quite well 🤷‍♂️

IMG_6061.jpeg

Well done! All my pics are also taken with an IPhone 11. and using natural lighting from my window sill by colncidence!

Its not easy to get the colour right though. Here are 4 proof ‘specials’ where I’ve tried to capture the ‘pinkish’ nature….

followed by 3 other ‘specials’ which have been ‘gold’ enhanced. 

3219D005-0E98-43CF-A41A-B49266464D40.jpeg

DAD3B97B-FD00-4C17-BA60-78BA51A8D362.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Well done! All my pics are also taken with an IPhone 11. and using natural lighting from my window sill by colncidence!

Its not easy to get the colour right though. Here are 4 proof ‘specials’ where I’ve tried to capture the ‘pinkish’ nature….

followed by 3 other ‘specials’ which have been ‘gold’ enhanced. 

3219D005-0E98-43CF-A41A-B49266464D40.jpeg

DAD3B97B-FD00-4C17-BA60-78BA51A8D362.jpeg

How to make someone jealous!🤔🧐😁great collection!