• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Photo Thread...

On 02/08/2023 at 04:20, Paul said:

Something you'll not see every day.  Upcoming lot in Heritage "Platinum Sale" August sale later this month.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-iii-gold-sovereign-1819-vf30-ngc-/a/3109-31195.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

The elusive 1819 sovereign

Great Britain, Great Britain: George III gold Sovereign 1819 VF30 NGC,... Great Britain, Great Britain: George III gold Sovereign 1819 VF30 NGC,...

Rarest Business Strike of the Modern Sovereigns
George III gold Sovereign 1819 VF30 NGC, KM674, S-3785, Marsh-3 (R5). An extremely rare date, not only the rarest business strike of George III but arguably for the entire modern Sovereign series that starts from 1817. Currently, only two straight-graded examples exist in the NGC population (this coin is the better one), and none at PCGS. The last time the current offering was sold was in May 2015 when it was auctioned for $59,312+buyer's premium in the United Kingdom, then described as the 'second finest known' by the auctioneer. The piece exhibits balanced wear from honest circulation, yet the struck motifs are instantly recognizable and the King's facial features remain fully expressive. The crevices have faint siltiness, and the surfaces are in remarkably good condition for the grade, clearly non-porous and moreover saved from any singularly detracting instances of impact.

A quick glance at public auctions during the past eight years reveals two additional examples sold, one deemed 'Not Encapsulated - No Decision' offered in a Sincona auction in 2021 realizing about $24,000+premium, and one from the Spink Stratos sale in 2020, a 'Fine Details' that hammered $38,560+premium; both inspected by NGC and ex-jewelry pieces.

In addition, on the 200th anniversary of this remarkable rarity, the Royal Mint offered the aforementioned other NGC straight-graded example by public ballot. This was a F12 piece, thus clearly in lesser state of preservation compared to the present offering, and previously known to exist from a B.A. Seaby bulletin. The winner of the 2019 ballot purchased the coin for £100,000 - corresponding to approximately $127,000 back in the day.

The finest specimen hitherto witnessed by the public was sold from the Bentley collection in May 2013, when an uncertified 1819 Sovereign described as 'about extremely fine' sold for approximately $290,000. Judging from the outstanding research conducted for the Bentley Collection sale and additional investigative work by Spink, it can be presumed that 11 individual examples have been photographed and are presently extant, of which at least four, possibly five exhibit various signs of mounting to jewelry. Missing from most institutional coin collections in the UK and apparently even the world-renowned Tyrant Collection, this is an unmissable opportunity to acquire an outstanding and highly elusive numismatic rarity.

Ex. St. James's Auction 32 (May 2015, Lot 3)

Metal: Gold
Diameter: 22.05mm
Weight: 7.9881g
AGW: 0.2355oz
Mintage: 3,574

More information about Great Britain Coins. See also: Great Britain.

Estimate: $50,000 - $60,000.

The Platinum sale is about to start and this 1819 is sitting at $82,500 ($99,000 incl Buyer's Premium).

There's also another 'Sovereign' currently bid at $662,500 and a gobsmacking Gothic Crown at $230,000.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-henry-vii-1485-1509-fine-gold-sovereign-of-20-shillings-nd-1492-au50-ngc-/a/3109-31158.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-victoria-proof-gothic-crown-1847-pr66-deep-cameo-pcgs-/a/3109-31209.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

British coins sure seem to be on good footing, and its entertaining to watch the live bidding even though such coins are only distant dreams to me :)

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 hours ago, jultorsk said:

The Platinum sale is about to start and this 1819 is sitting at $82,500 ($99,000 incl Buyer's Premium).

There's also another 'Sovereign' currently bid at $662,500 and a gobsmacking Gothic Crown at $230,000.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-henry-vii-1485-1509-fine-gold-sovereign-of-20-shillings-nd-1492-au50-ngc-/a/3109-31158.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-victoria-proof-gothic-crown-1847-pr66-deep-cameo-pcgs-/a/3109-31209.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

British coins sure seem to be on good footing, and its entertaining to watch the live bidding even though such coins are only distant dreams to me :)

Some GB coins went for crazy prices in that platinum sale yesterday now the results are in 

On 02/08/2023 at 10:20, Paul said:

Something you'll not see every day.  Upcoming lot in Heritage "Platinum Sale" August sale later this month.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-iii-gold-sovereign-1819-vf30-ngc-/a/3109-31195.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

The elusive 1819 sovereign

Great Britain, Great Britain: George III gold Sovereign 1819 VF30 NGC,... Great Britain, Great Britain: George III gold Sovereign 1819 VF30 NGC,...

Rarest Business Strike of the Modern Sovereigns
George III gold Sovereign 1819 VF30 NGC, KM674, S-3785, Marsh-3 (R5). An extremely rare date, not only the rarest business strike of George III but arguably for the entire modern Sovereign series that starts from 1817. Currently, only two straight-graded examples exist in the NGC population (this coin is the better one), and none at PCGS. The last time the current offering was sold was in May 2015 when it was auctioned for $59,312+buyer's premium in the United Kingdom, then described as the 'second finest known' by the auctioneer. The piece exhibits balanced wear from honest circulation, yet the struck motifs are instantly recognizable and the King's facial features remain fully expressive. The crevices have faint siltiness, and the surfaces are in remarkably good condition for the grade, clearly non-porous and moreover saved from any singularly detracting instances of impact.

A quick glance at public auctions during the past eight years reveals two additional examples sold, one deemed 'Not Encapsulated - No Decision' offered in a Sincona auction in 2021 realizing about $24,000+premium, and one from the Spink Stratos sale in 2020, a 'Fine Details' that hammered $38,560+premium; both inspected by NGC and ex-jewelry pieces.

In addition, on the 200th anniversary of this remarkable rarity, the Royal Mint offered the aforementioned other NGC straight-graded example by public ballot. This was a F12 piece, thus clearly in lesser state of preservation compared to the present offering, and previously known to exist from a B.A. Seaby bulletin. The winner of the 2019 ballot purchased the coin for £100,000 - corresponding to approximately $127,000 back in the day.

The finest specimen hitherto witnessed by the public was sold from the Bentley collection in May 2013, when an uncertified 1819 Sovereign described as 'about extremely fine' sold for approximately $290,000. Judging from the outstanding research conducted for the Bentley Collection sale and additional investigative work by Spink, it can be presumed that 11 individual examples have been photographed and are presently extant, of which at least four, possibly five exhibit various signs of mounting to jewelry. Missing from most institutional coin collections in the UK and apparently even the world-renowned Tyrant Collection, this is an unmissable opportunity to acquire an outstanding and highly elusive numismatic rarity.

Ex. St. James's Auction 32 (May 2015, Lot 3)

Metal: Gold
Diameter: 22.05mm
Weight: 7.9881g
AGW: 0.2355oz
Mintage: 3,574

More information about Great Britain Coins. See also: Great Britain.

Estimate: $50,000 - $60,000.

It sold for $156,000 in the end ! 

FYI

• Victoria Gothic Crown sold for $276,000
  • Henry VII 20 shillings 'sovereign' sold for $795,000

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Aldebaran said:

I collected these about 10 years ago. My favourite is the 2005 and Mr. A bought me the 1900 Victoria to the right which started my collection, and I have just noticed that it has a Sydney mark. 
I know that many dislike them as they damage the coin, but I love them and wish that I had continued to collect.

IMG_5340.jpeg

I've got a polished Machin that's otherwise in good nick that would go in the empty mount at the top left.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

10 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

I've got a polished Machin that's otherwise in good nick that would go in the empty mount at the top left.

Thank you 🌞

I do have a nice George V which belonged to my dad which I was going to use, but one of the lugs is faulty, I do keep the coin with the holder, just not in it. 🖖

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

17 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

2023 Coronation SOTD Sovereign

Front and back lighting, turned about 20 degrees away, to get the lustre on the matte finish.  Beautiful coin.

image.thumb.png.a1a4c181d26faba1bfac940fa0ad7e67.png

It actually looks like real gold and not coppery!

2019 SOTD Sovereigns - Victoria and Albert 200th

Taken at slightly different angles.  The more square-on coin needed a slightly enhanced exposure on the edge.  Without adequate edge lighting, the coin loses a lot of solidity, making it seem more abstract.  Both angles have merit.  I also photoshopped out the stand.

20230831-152621-2023-08-3117-04-46(AR8S4)-Edit.thumb.png.038c6bedc0bc7da1cf01c50b4786ccc6.png

20230831-152055-2023-08-3117-05-30(AR8S4)-Edit.thumb.png.ebd742d4d05b57c570288d1f290cb451.png

Edited by Charliemouse

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

• 2 weeks later...

2007 Proof Full Sovereign

I decided to reshoot this coin for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I actually missed the focus on the front edge - just didn't notice.  You can see it's soft around the 3 o'clock edge.  I simply didn't start the focus stack closer enough, and just didn't notice.

Secondly, I think the back lighting I used to brighten the rim, is a little too bright.  It's caused a lot of quite distracting reflection, and if the edge was in focus it would probably glare.  I don't want the rim to be brighter than the face, just visible.

image.thumb.png.4c117f995c5cda948a3050d086bd2c6f.png

The new version is definitely sharper.  Quite a different colour also, so I'm wondering if I need to calibrate my lights again to get the white balance retuned.

Anyway, prefer this second version.

20230918-204453-2023-09-1821-54-19(BR8S4).thumb.png.62aaceb33e99329dd1c58dc22af4d46e.png

Edited by Charliemouse