• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best subject matter for coins?

• Founder & Administrator

I personally think animals work the best for coins. But what do you think?

What do you like to see on coins? Buildings, Nature, Animals, People, Objects, Art, Shapes, Mythical creatures, Ancient Gods, Cartoons, etc.

And is there any specific things you like to see on coins, e.g. specific animals?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Always liked coins with animals if they are well designed (e.g. Perth Mint coins), however I equally enjoy antique/mythical coins such as Egyptian, Aztec, Ancient Chinese themed coins. 

I always liked the contrast between the matte and shiny surfaces on any coin, it somewhat focuses my attention on the subject and gives depth to a design.

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain

Animals are definitely up there when done well - they can sadly be done pretty terribly though. My personal favourite subject matter is really ornate old school coats of arms and similar shield type designs. Again the more ornate the better. Its very classic, classy and I think it represents a good opportunity to learn about where the item comes from when there is a lot of symbolism within the shield/coat of arms.

My preference is shaped coins. I have been collecting the Star Wars ultra high relief, some of this series have taken the shape of the subject like Darth Vader's helmet. 

CIT (coin investment trust) do a great job in producing interesting subject matter.

My favourite shaped coin is the recently released cylindrical anniversary moon landing coin. 

Animals, when done well, certainly attract my attention - mythical ones too.

I also like shields/coat-of-arms style, particularly those with intricate detailing where the more you look, the more you see - the design on the Germania mint rounds being a particular favourite. 

Hi @ChrisSilver,

Animals are certainly very popular on coin designs. My favourite base metal coin is the 1994 Legislative Building 50p from the Isle of Man:

image.thumb.png.31ef169051c5720d49cefe6c9030fa65.png

Will be nice to see more buildings/architecture on coins or precious metal rounds.

Graceful, beautiful and/or distinctive women seem to suit coinage in my opinion. Lady Liberty, young head versions of Victoria or QEII.

Dragons and serpents. Eagles. Grand, awe inspiring depictions of creatures like these immortalised in lustrous precious metal is something to behold.

And kangaroos. Those nuggs look ace.

Historical and biblical scenes or scenes from legend; also good. Armenian Arks are cool. 

Artifacts from ancient civilizations are cool, the Aztec rounds are intricate without looking busy.

A nice series depicting trees would be good.

10 hours ago, DBCooper said:

Simple beautiful women  Libertads and  St gaudens Double Eagle design. 

regards 

DB

That and architecture. Or really, anything that's done well enough that it looks good on a small medium like a coin.

• 8 months later...

I have no special design i like to collect. I like so many different. My favorite typ of coins are since the last WMF smartminting coins. It all started with the majestic eagle. Since then i was able to get the Cook Islands 1 OZ tortoise, the 2 OZ Anchor & Propeller, 1 OZ Trapped 1 & 2, the 3 OZ Pilot & Steampunk..... But my favorite is the Palau 2 OZ Black Panther. It looks like there is a living Minipanther looking at you. So realistic, unbelievable. So many different designs, i love them all. For me these coins are really great artworks. Can't wait for the 2 OZ Black Proof Majestic Eagle, the 3 OZ mechnical Bee and last but not least, the 2 OZ Voyager thirst for discovery from NumisCollect, all coming the next months. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sent an email to the Royal Mint over a year ago about an idea for a series of household division regimental badges. Seven regiments in total plus the household division badge. Would be great if they done it considering the military history of all regiments. @Connor Tagged you in.

Archived