• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

3 hours ago, Roy said:

Doesn't that mean, by definition, that it fails to be classed as a collectible?

2 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Bang on the money. Exactly. Such a shame that there isn’t a public release.

3 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

I was thinking the same thing- if a coin isn’t directly issued to the public- then it would be not dissimilar to issues such as the 1953 Mary Gillick Portrait Proof issue for Her Majesty.  

I disagree. Just because something isn't directly sold to the general public doesn't mean it's not a public release. There are lots of things you can only buy through retail outlets. If the next series issue is only sold to retail dealers and mint VIPs, who incidentally are members of the public, all the coins will end up in the hands of collectors ( members of the public). Just indirectly.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

6 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

I was thinking the same thing- if a coin isn’t directly issued to the public- then it would be not dissimilar to issues such as the 1953 Mary Gillick Portrait Proof issue for Her Majesty.  

More akin to a museum piece, yes. 

But the mintage of 225 were offered on the website to the public... why shouldn't a similar mintage also be offered in the same way next time? It should, and those who are the quickest early birds can snatch them again :) You snooze, you lose!

I think the main issue is the fairness of the situation there would seems to be confusion within the RM's  interpretation a level playing field.

The RM:

1. Say that they are limiting a household to one unit of a release to ensure everyone gets a crack of the whip.

2. Sell coins from a release to people not in a cue awaiting their opportunity to purchase.

2 obviously makes 1 laughable and the RM untrustworthy in their decision making

There should be no obligation on the royal mint to do anything other put the coin to be released behind a buy now button. 

B

Edited by Becca

Just looking at the Coin Cabinet listings for the auction today and noticed the Una is up to £25500. Lot number two. Do we think it will be more exciting than the last auction?

EDIT - Nope not at all exciting. £25500 is where it ended.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

I'm looking at the sales lists of the silver Una & Lion on eBay, and I notice that over the last month, the sell price of silver Unas has increased by roughly £100... from mid-£300s to the latest sales of £470, £690, £425, £465 etc. (£470 being the latest). This is good news for silver Una owners.

Graded, they seem to attract considerably higher prices even. 

2 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Just looking at the Coin Cabinet listings for the auction today and noticed the Una is up to £25500. Lot number two. Do we think it will be more exciting than the last auction?

Two auction sales £27k and £25.5k less seller commission now. 

2 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I would have been excited, if it were mine- I would be waving a fond farewell and adieu to dear old Una...

...and I would be saying hello to 3x México Centenario’s; a nice Peru 100 Soles; 32x Sovereigns and 3x Gold Libertad 5 coin sets....

35 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

I would have been excited, if it were mine- I would be waving a fond farewell and adieu to dear old Una...

...and I would be saying hello to 3x México Centenario’s; a nice Peru 100 Soles; 32x Sovereigns and 3x Gold Libertad 5 coin sets....

Yeah obviously having a stake in it makes it much more exciting but I still find it interesting as it seems so bonkers where the value of that coin has gone. Its fun to watch.

At this point I'm with you though...  if I did have one it would be gone and there would be a nice stack of other gold coins in its place.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

On 21/02/2020 at 16:10, Numistacker said:

The 1937 Edward VIII sovereign doubled its money from 500k to 1m in 2 years and thats just a tiny bit of gold.. I sold my Gold Una and I put the proceeds in a 1853 half sovereign proof and very happy I did. Did i get the maximum in the market, no i sold too early and I should have waited but i am happy to have something that is extremely rare, very beautiful and with a price history of 170 years.

There is no comparison to that coin (1937 Edward VIII) whatsoever, that's a true rarity that wasn't even meant to exist. This una was minted less than a year ago :D 

You did a great thing, and exactly what I think will cause this coin to crash in years to come. People want REAL rarities, not this rubbish.

note: I do love the Una of course, due to it's design, my views are all related to the prices it's exchange for, which is a bubble due to burst.

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Obviously the " stampede" for and dramatic price rise of this coin was due to the 1839 connection and maybe people relating in some way to the current value of the originals.. However i think that the 2019 Commonwealth mint five pound Una is a better coin, and of course this is actually a five pound coin, not a two hundred pound coin. Not sure what the issue price was of the commonwealth mint coin but they seem to be going for 5K + now which for me is far too much for a 2019 modern five poundcoin. Also the quality of the £5 was very good in general.

Anyway the old saying, buying any coin is a personal choice and will sell for a price that the buyer deems suitable.

Edited by Fivepoundfred

1 minute ago, Fivepoundfred said:

Obviously the " stampede" for and dramatic price rise of this coin was due to the 1839 connection and maybe people relating in some way to the current value of the originals.. However i think that the 2019 Commonwealth mint £5 Una is a better coin, and of course this is actually a five pound coin, not a two hundred pound coin. Not sure what the issue price was of the commonwealth mint coin but they seem to be going for 5K + now which for me is far too much for a 2019 modern £5 coin. Also the quality of the £5 was very good in general.

Are you talking about the East India company one?

2 minutes ago, Fivepoundfred said:

Just been looking at V coins that has recently sold one on behalf of Sovr, it says produced as a Alderney coin by the commonwealth mint.

Oh, I see. The Alderney coin set is definitely good, but in quality obviously not on the same level as the Royal Mint one. 

5 minutes ago, Fivepoundfred said:

Just been looking at V coins that has recently sold one on behalf of Sovr, it says produced as a Alderney coin by the commonwealth mint.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Gold-Proof-Una-and-the-Lion-Five-Pounds-Alderney-Mint-PCGS-PR70-DCAM/153820102972?hash=item23d064813c:g:75gAAOSw6zheSkXd

This is the one @Fivepoundfred is on about 

1 minute ago, Fivepoundfred said:

The quality must be fairly good, just looked at the PCGS census - 281 graded, 237 PR70 and 44 PR69. Not sure if any have been graded by NGC?

I think it was sold as a pre graded coin by one company in the USA - forget which company it was off the top of my head

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2020 at 17:09, richatthecroft said:

Just received my Silver Una- it’s in the condition you would expect from the world renown Royal Mint-

scratched...

Similar condition to the 1oz Queen Silver Proof I received last Friday.

I’m speechless- and will open a book here on what condition the 1/4oz Queen Gold  I ordered arrives in: 

Odds on 1/3 Damaged

Evens- acceptable

33/1 Lost in the post

Want to bet? 

C2FC90AC-15E1-40A0-A740-6738108B6090.jpeg

Una Update-

Just had a telephone call from the Royal Mint.  

I sent my Una back for exchange (see above coin) on the 31st January- heard nothing so called them up a day or so ago and call returned today: 

I am told that due to quality issues that my Una is 'being re-minted' (not sure this is a word) but regardless- I have been assured that I will at least be getting an Una and I will receive it at the 'end of April'.  

It'll be worth the wait. 

2 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Una Update-

I sent my Una back for exchange (see above coin) on the 31st January- heard nothing so called them up a day or so ago and call returned today: 

I am told that due to quality issues that my Una is 'being re-minted' (not sure this is a word) but regardless- I have been assured that I will at least be getting an Una and I will receive it at the 'end of April'.  

It'll be worth the wait. 

Thats a good result, if they are going to the trouble to re-mint it then maybe a few people have the same issue...

5 minutes ago, wolfiemac said:

Thats a good result, if they are going to the trouble to re-mint it then maybe a few people have the same issue...

Yes- I don't think mine was an isolated case- I received two coins the same week which were clearly damaged- the Una and the Queen Music Legends Silver.

Nothing is perfect in this world- but receiving a coin that's very clearly damaged- even to my tired old eyes, isn't great- but at least the RM are addressing the problem.

1 hour ago, richatthecroft said:

Una Update-

It'll be worth the wait. 

Well, you're going to have a rarity...a "second strike"...maybe it would be slightly different in detail than the rest, and interesting numismatically? :)