• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

1 hour ago, Melon said:

I rather think of it as they only gained £14,000 😄

I think it'll be a total click fest, gone in moments if the site doesn't crash. It's very hard to see how the next one will lose money, and there's big potential upside if it performs anything remotely like Una. 

Has eBay made enough to buy 1.5 Oz of gold from that last sale.😁 I wonder if it was on the  £1 final valuation fees offer.

Please Find me on Instagram  HERE            

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Don’t forget PayPal’s grubby hand sticking out wanting a piece of the pie!!!

They will get theirs no doubt but there was a recent £1 eBay fee offer, I bet they used that if they had any sense.

Please Find me on Instagram  HERE            

Just now, AndrewSL76 said:

Don’t forget PayPal’s grubby hand sticking out wanting a piece of the pie!!!

If you took paypal for it for a £21,500 item, you would need your head examining

PayPal payment received, Parcel sent, dispute open, "item not as described", £21,500 debited from your paypal and no Una.  left to jump through automated hoops for them to still side with the buyer. No thanks

I would be wanting a cleared BACS transfer or two palm fulls of Queens heads in my mitt to part with it. 

I was told the mint is having a lot of trouble with the coin due to the depth of the cameo, hope those who got it recently grade well!

There is even rumor saying the mint may give up on the series.. hopefully not

Another Una that was done last year, so I wonder why people didn't go ape for these, it also seems strange that the RM are having difficulties minting them, yet other mints don't seem to be having that problem. Here is how its described.

From a tiny mintage of just 400 pieces struck to respect the original 1839 version, this piece is struck from the original die created in 1839. Modern technology allowed the mint to remove the blemish from the die, so this coin has all of the details of the original with an even sharper appearance. Issued to commemorate the 180th anniversary of the creation of the original Una (1839) and the 200th anniversary of Queen Victoria's birth.

Notice how they've done 2 anniversaries on one coin so that they don't milk the collector 🥳

Screenshot 2020-01-01 at 12.28.48.png

Edited by Gibby

13 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

I think it’s just because it’s direct from the royal mint. Making it much more widely collectable and desirable 

The die of UNA seems to have had quite a run this year, strange why the RM would be the last to use it. The RM struck Alderney coins up to 2017.

3 hours ago, Gibby said:

it also seems strange that the RM are having difficulties minting them, yet other mints don't seem to be having that problem.

Comparing the two coins side by side looks obvious to me, and I can understand why it is so challenging for the RM to strike this coin.Technically for me, it is like comparing apples and oranges. I don't have these coins in hand (only the RM silver) but the Alderney Una, looks so flat, dull and lifeless compared with the RM Una

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.9e0e38d74ccdc7f7dea9f53f1a12444e.jpg728192036_NumisUnaEdit27-12-2019.jpg.6eb0f5fdfb3f28a0c29ed31bf7cd2eb0.thumb.jpg.98c8e0c1f4fc00577c83bcdf8dfe5efc.jpg

Edited by Frenchie

I see all the silver proofs available on eBay are now over £300, most of them verging on £400. The prices are definitely rising slowly but steadily. A mintage of 3000 for a very popular coin is not that much, especially when considered internationally.

2 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

I see all the silver proofs available on eBay are now over £300, most of them verging on £400. The prices are definitely rising slowly but steadily. A mintage of 3000 for a very popular coin is not that much, especially when considered internationally.

Do you believe Una and the Lion Gold is good value?  I dont.  

The silver Una is popular now and there is a set to collect wyons design.  

2 minutes ago, Pipers said:

Do you believe Una and the Lion Gold is good value?  I dont.  

The silver Una is popular now and there is a set to collect wyons design.  

Well the gold was fantastic value at the list price of £3,995. Current prices are only good value to those serious collectors for who money is not really a problem. But great if you managed to buy one from the Mint of course!

Am new to all this , so am Sorry to dumb down the thread !!!

but I i got a spare silver una I brought two early in (definitely keeping one) 

Any advice when to flip it ?  should I grade first ? Etc etc 

1 minute ago, magpie79 said:

Am new to all this , so am Sorry to dumb down the thread !!!

but I i got a spare silver una I brought two early in (definitely keeping one) 

Any advice when to flip it ?  should I grade first ? Etc etc 

I am looking for one. Pm me to discuss price!

1 minute ago, AurumArgenti said:

I don't normally do price predictions but I have a feeling the silver with be going for closer to the £500 mark. Mainly on the back of the gold pulling it upwards.

To draw a comparison, when a design of a coin is very favourably received by the market as a whole, prices will increase accordingly,  look at the popularity of the 2014 Silver Britannia proofs sells for over its inherent silver content.

Given Una & Lion near 200 year history, recognition as one of the most beautiful British coins designs of all time, a worldwide collector appeal (not just UK market), low(ish) mintage, the first in the Engravers series, if all further releases are as well received & sell out quickly, it favours the earlier coins much more for those who want the whole series

A price point that is within the realms of possibility & realistic to most coin collectors who need a bit of Una & Lion in their collection.  I cant see why this wont go well down the line