• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Una and the Lion

Just now, Paul said:

Should i flip the gold 2oz Una  - sell some Krugerrands & sovereigns - cash in my ISA - use my overdraft & my rainy day money and upgrade to 1kg gold Una ? why has this even entered my head ? could either be the very best idea ever or the very worst ! 

Yikes. I'd stick with what you have buddy, that 1kg is a beauty but will it have the same hype around it as the 2 oz variety? Not to mention by the time you do all of the above it'll probably be gone (and if it isn't, then it probably isn't a good buy anyway). 

*meanwhile Melon is visiting websites to get a valuation for his kidney so he can buy the shiny coin!*

2 minutes ago, Melon said:

Yikes. I'd stick with what you have buddy, that 1kg is a beauty but will it have the same hype around it as the 2 oz variety? Not to mention by the time you do all of the above it'll probably be gone (and if it isn't, then it probably isn't a good buy anyway). 

*meanwhile Melon is visiting websites to get a valuation for his kidney so he can buy the shiny coin!*

Yup very true, by the time it would take me to raise the funds from different sources it would probaly be sold

Shame RM couldn't get it on £60k over x50 years - could manage that £1200 a year or £100 a month :) 

Ive been fond of risk through my life, lots have paid of well, but this is fishing in water too deep for me

To be fair and fun with numbers £59,995 / 1000g = £59.95g x 31.103 = £1,866 per oz you would be paying for Gold Una 1kg, it almost seems reasonable price now given we know gold should be tracing itself northward in years to come with the infinity printing presses working overtime in USA 

Actually, that price of £59k seems to be the usual price for RM 1kg gold coins at the current gold price...

1kg gold coins are not very collectable and would not have the draw of the 2oz one... because how many people collect 1kg gold coins? Maybe a few billionaires.

Edited by goldmember44

@Paul don’t get too carried away. If i was you and was even remotely considering flipping the una right now, I would strike while the iron is hot and then just use the proceeds to buy more weight. If you could buy 12 Oz for the price of 4 OZ in a short space if time you’ve done well. Especially if your a stacker not a collector, might be better flipping the coin while there’s a buzz if you’re considering. 

If you prefer the thought of long term ownership plus potential further gains then just hold on to it, shes a beauty!

5 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Actually, that price of £59k seems to be the usual price for RM 1kg gold coins at the current gold price...

1kg gold coins are not very collectable and would not have the draw of the 2oz one... because how many people collect 1kg gold coins? Maybe a few billionaires.

Thanks @goldmember44 I never realise this was the RM standard price for 1kg coin.  You make a good point with size. The weightier you go the less potential market of customers you have with deep pockets.  Guess this is where have a little black book like the big coin auction houses & dealer have. The only way long term to shift would be via auction long way round the road with the associated costs of selling at auction

2 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

@Paul don’t get too carried away. If i was you and was even remotely considering flipping the una right now, I would strike while the iron is hot and then just use the proceeds to buy more weight. If you could buy 12 Oz for the price of 4 OZ in a short space if time you’ve done well. Especially if your a stacker not a collector, might be better flipping the coin while there’s a buzz if you’re considering. 

If you prefer the thought of long term ownership plus potential further gains then just hold on to it, shes a beauty!

Yeah, you very right, be happy with what i've got.  Cant complain even if things just stay the same long term, if i've tripled my money in a month quite happy  

It is hard to describe the appeal of it until your see it and hold it. Its will be a hard one to part with. As there is little downside risk if a bench mark price is now in from the first few sales, quite happy to sit on it for a few years to see how things pan out 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

I hope it hasn't change me from a stacker into a collector :( 

If you don't try to convert this one coin into 30 Ozs I think we will soon have our answer 🤣

31 minutes ago, Paul said:

Should i flip the gold 2oz Una  - sell some Krugerrands & sovereigns - cash in my ISA - use my overdraft & my rainy day money and upgrade to 1kg gold Una ? why has this even entered my head ? could either be the very best idea ever or the very worst ! 

:o

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

It is hard to describe the appeal of it until your see it and hold it. Its will be a hard one to part with.

Ye gads man, you are turning into Gollum!!! :o

:P

Edited by kimchi

3 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

@Paul if i was you I’d probably just try collect the whole series lol

As I have a vested interest in the Great Engravers series now, i will be certainly following its progress with great interest and see what comes out, how the market accept it

Sales values etc. To be totally fair £3995 per coin is a bit too rich for my pockets to just randomly buy every one in the series regardless.

it could be the ugly duckling coins that dont sell out or not happy with if the rest of the series then takes off

The next in the series may make or break it popularity

The nice thing with credit cards favourable credit limits on a few different cards,  billing period interest free (knowing your billing statement date and choosing the card furthest way !) Royal Mint DSR returns policies 

If you were so you could buy it "regardless" and see how the market receives it, if it sells out, how quickly it sells out - judge what the vibe on forums/eBay/FB groups accepting it is.  If you feel bad vibes just return it - if you are that way inclined 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 

On 23/12/2019 at 11:08, Paul said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Una-and-the-Lion-2019-UK-2oz-Gold-Proof-Coin-Limited-Edition-225-Very-Rare/254459172347?hash=item3b3ef2d5fb:g:FpkAAOSwd1dd6fFN

The first UK traditional auction of a Gold Una - currently on £15,100 with 7 days to go 

.....hhhmmmmm .......time to buy some popcorn and enjoy the next week seeing what the free market think its worth

Merry Christmas - whoop whoop !

http://www.watchcount.com/mw2.php?bkw=gold+una+lion&bcat=0&bcts=&sfsb=Show+Me!&csbin=auc&bslr=&bnp=&bxp=#serp

x79 watches on the current 2oz Gold Una & Lion UK auction

a lot of eyes on one item

A bit Christmas daftness, what do people think bidding will end at on the auction?

on another note a new Gold Una listing has just popped up on eBay.co.uk  for an what almost seems "reasonable" compared to others prices - £18k on buy it now, no best offer option 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Una-and-the-Lion-2019-UK-2oz-Gold-Proof-Coin-Limited-Edition-225/293393164065?hash=item444f986721:g:R64AAOSwfcNeAg65

1 hour ago, Paul said:

A bit Christmas daftness, what do people think bidding will end at on the auction?

on another note a new Gold Una listing has just popped up on eBay.co.uk  for an what almost seems "reasonable" compared to others prices - £18k on buy it now, no best offer option 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Una-and-the-Lion-2019-UK-2oz-Gold-Proof-Coin-Limited-Edition-225/293393164065?hash=item444f986721:g:R64AAOSwfcNeAg65

It's going to be interesting to see if the auction reaches £18,000! Bidders have a fair bit of feedback so it seems legit. 

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Are you getting tempted to sell? 😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, BrumChris said:

It's going to be interesting to see if the auction reaches £18,000! Bidders have a fair bit of feedback so it seems legit. 

yeah, its looks like three unique bidders on it thus far, two bidders with over 200+ feedback

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/254459172347?item=254459172347&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

3 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Are you getting tempted to sell? 😉

the £18,000 buy it now has now sold ! this past hour :) eek ! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=3&_nkw=una lion gold&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Jeez, +£12k profit in a month not to be sniffed at

Think I'm just gonna be sitting on this, ive no urge to sell yet @sovereignsteve either gonna be best decision or worst decision ive made. Maybe i should do coin flip Heads or Lions