• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

11 minutes ago, SlowFrog said:

I paid £550 for this 1858 sovereign (just 803,234 minted) and it arrived today. It has a lovely natural patina and lustre that isn't too visible in the artificial light that I took these pics in (not great quality - sorry). Lustre perhaps more obvious in the video! No idea if I paid too much but I'm very happy with it.

1858_1.thumb.jpg.80b1046d8c0d65416f12c3baaaf852da.jpg

1858_2.thumb.jpg.199efac930344500304a2546fd2624d7.jpgu

IMG-3432.MOV

No idea on price. But it is a stunner and id be happy to own it 🙂

On 25/11/2023 at 12:51, Charliemouse said:

2023 Reverse Proof 1oz Coronation Coin

The prettiest coronation coin?

Collected a bunch of graded coins from our very own @GoldDiggerDave, including this beauty.

image.thumb.png.d96800815b7d9e5f66662b237fd8ffa8.png

Proof for comparison.

image.thumb.png.6d2839011743a78b9d239c797ff645bf.png

Nice! I need to get me ☝️ of these! :) 

10 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

2023 Copernicus

My first foray into coloured coins.  From Germania via @Panda6Pack, the 2023 Copernicus.  

image.thumb.jpeg.e19d321b57fc0b643efc28968d2aefd9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9bd132ee6a92bce5367192cabcab1e47.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.eb5223480279b5dee4f800e210a6cc46.jpeg

Nice lighting.  I was very tempted to buy one of these.  Looks great.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

35 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Nice lighting.  I was very tempted to buy one of these.  Looks great.

See if @Panda6Pack has any left.  Silvertrader might also get them in.

The top ones are axial - a ring light and a bit of tracing paper with a hole for the lens to soften it (you can see it reflected in the sun), and a panel light at about 10:30 as a key light.  I think they show off the shiny bits of the coin nicely.  The bottom one is slightly oblique with the lighting cone I made the other day and a couple of spots.  Arguably a nicer shot, but that sort of lighting makes the mirrored fields (basically Nicks face) look frosted.

Unfortunately I still haven't figured out a way to sync the white balance between Imaging Edge and Photoshop for the stacked shots, so they're slightly different.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

5 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

1999 Perth Mint Centenary Gold Proof Bi-metallic Sovereign

Effectively a 'normal' 22ct sovereign, surrounded by 999 silver.  Also had this for over a year, and decided it's a keeper so had it graded.

image.thumb.png.c614571e9545659bbbeb7e634c450bf5.png

It looks very good doesn't it, I have the same one but on a first day cover, I think there was 999 of them issued and the stamps have a design made of gold foil I believe, it's in hiding so I've not seen it for some time... I hope it's still there!!

22 hours ago, SlowFrog said:

I paid £550 for this 1858 sovereign (just 803,234 minted) and it arrived today. It has a lovely natural patina and lustre that isn't too visible in the artificial light that I took these pics in (not great quality - sorry). Lustre perhaps more obvious in the video! No idea if I paid too much but I'm very happy with it.

1858_1.thumb.jpg.80b1046d8c0d65416f12c3baaaf852da.jpg

1858_2.thumb.jpg.199efac930344500304a2546fd2624d7.jpgu

IMG-3432.MOV

Looks good and in quite good condition, if you are happy with it you paid the right price 

21 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

2018 Canadian 1oz Proof 200 Dollars Edward VII

A really unusual coin this.  Very pure 99999 fine gold, bright yellow.  And a treat to see a large Edward VII portrait in gold.

Again, I was very surprised this has survived 5 years to make it to an unscathed PF70UCAM.

image.thumb.png.61e3aac4ade85479bf148fc606b5f0e4.png

image.thumb.png.0c7408704382df62b388f6b63a4c9ff2.png

Beautiful colour you must be very pleased with this one

20 minutes ago, slack said:

It looks very good doesn't it, I have the same one but on a first day cover, I think there was 999 of them issued and the stamps have a design made of gold foil I believe, it's in hiding so I've not seen it for some time... I hope it's still there!!

I have the one that came in a case that looks like a toilet seat (impossible to unsee).

Just now, paulmerton said:

I have the one that came in a case that looks like a toilet seat (impossible to unsee).

Me too.  Getting it slabbed was a mercy.  🤣

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

2 minutes ago, slack said:

Beautiful colour you must be very pleased with this one

I am pleased with the lighting balance.  Usually, proof fields are either plain black or plain gold.  Getting that transition point can be tricky, but pays off in the visible texture of the surface.

7 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

image.png.365075f64eb3e1840570bacdb64228cc.png

Please don't. 🤣

Edited by Charliemouse

1 minute ago, slack said:

Is there a bum biting spider in there?

They should absolutely do their Redback Spider coin with the toilet seat case.

28 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

image.png.365075f64eb3e1840570bacdb64228cc.png

I'm sure @Lyrinn will understand why I'm suddenly reminded of Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

24 minutes ago, JeffM said:

John Mercanti is a marketed creation.  He designs a lot of coins, but not many would be considered great IMO.  It’s all marketing.  Everywhere you turn here in the U.S., another Mercanti coin pops up.  He is saturating the market.  Just my opinion.

Wrong place - moved to the right place

Edited by Simmoleon
Rubbish at IT