• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

2 minutes ago, JamesH said:

2022 Jubilee halves (not sure how these had escaped me previously) courtesy of Philatelic Heritage 👍🏼

IMG_9337.jpeg

Nice! 

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

2 minutes ago, Petra said:

Just a small local purchase whilst in town today! No postage so very competitive compared to anything on-line today!

IMG_0346.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

Blimey what sort of shop do you find those in? We've only got a Co-Op!

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

18 minutes ago, Petra said:

One of the several pawnshops. This one actually part of a national chain, however, at times are competitive, at times… carry on walking!😮 their couple of ordinary silver Britannias were £35 each!🤔😮

Ja I've seen something similar recently, was looking at one of the national chains and the prices were more than the bullion dealers... do they want to sell the products?

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

48 minutes ago, Petra said:

One of the several pawnshops. This one actually part of a national chain, however, at times are competitive, at times… carry on walking!😮 their couple of ordinary silver Britannias were £35 each!🤔😮

I have noticed the same in my local area. The pawnshop (also from a big national chain) sells common 1oz silver Britannias or Maple Leaf at around £35-40 per coin.

I find this really unfair when you know that if you bring them gold jewellery or gold / silver coins, they will offer you around 10/20% under spot.

17 minutes ago, Napo said:

I have noticed the same in my local area. The pawnshop (also from a big national chain) sells common 1oz silver Britannias or Maple Leaf at around £35-40 per coin.

I find this really unfair when you know that if you bring them gold jewellery or gold / silver coins, they will offer you around 10/20% under spot.

Same here in my local town but they are open to offers on their overpriced coins. Some coins have been in the window for nearly a year which says it all about their prices.

55 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Ja I've seen something similar recently, was looking at one of the national chains and the prices were more than the bullion dealers... do they want to sell the products?

They will come knock when theres a shortage and the economy has gone down the fartpipe

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

9 minutes ago, MickB said:

Same here in my local town but they are open to offers on their overpriced coins. Some coins have been in the window for nearly a year which says it all about their prices.

This one is take it or leave it! They get a few small bars in, if at a decent price they go quickly. On-line they occasionally have good deals on coins🤔😮

On 15/08/2023 at 09:21, auleAboutNumismatics said:

image.png.9cfbd7265f5372baff80335c3b87b2af.png

The 5th birthday of Prince George, Strike on the Day Celebration Sovereign Struck on 22.7.18. Very nice coin with mintage: 485.

It has been on my wishlist for a while now. GoldDiggerDave has been recommending this alot, and glad that I got this before the interest on the forum gets too high 😄

A lovely 2018 SOTD example. 

On 16/09/2023 at 10:52, KevjustKev said:

Just the one, but helps out with the 2021 collection

phil h.jpg

phil t.jpg

The photos are quite good - nice, high resolution and well focused.  Is this natural light?

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

2 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

Very nice.  I see you've got some illumination from behind the case to catch the edge.

Yep.  This is an advanced tip - premium subscribers only 🤣.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

Apologies, off-topic, but I did receive a thought in my head today.

Great Engravers, William Wyon, George and the Dragon. 

Gives me the wobbles every time I think about this coin! 

There has been a significant collector base for sovereigns for decades, and I wondered if the RM will release a quarter oz gold proof version to meet the significant demand?

Definitely one I'd buy if I could.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

7 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Apologies, off-topic, but I did receive a thought in my head today.

Great Engravers, William Wyon, George and the Dragon. 

Gives me the wobbles every time I think about this coin! 

There has been a significant collector base for sovereigns, and I wondered if the RM will release a quarter oz gold proof version to meet the significant demand?

Definitely one I'd buy if I could.

I think the Great Engravers coins start about 2oz.  If somebody made a 1/4oz Una and the Lion at a reasonable price, folks would be lining up around the block to buy it.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

4 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I think the Great Engravers coins start about 2oz.  If somebody made a 1/4oz Una and the Lion at a reasonable price, folks would be lining up around the block to buy it.

The una and the Lion has not come out every year, whereas the sovereign has and the collector base is significantly higher by a very large margin.

The other Great Engravers aren't as well known / collected over the decades.

I Just have to cross my fingers 🤞 

Edited by GoldenGriffin