• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

what was your first silver buy

I have no idea.

First silver coins came to me from my father in 1989/90 - vaguely recall 1887 3d and 1/-, 1953 Franklin half, 1944 Washington quarter and a 1917 Aussie shilling. So I didn't buy these.

Purchase wise - I had a few coins purchased with pocket money - 1924 and 1934 sixpences, a 1944 and 1945 shillings, a part set of 1937 proof coins - crown, half crown and sixpence. Also shillings of 1758, 1837, 1839 and 1895. Plus some 1912 coins and an Edward I penny. Most of these were purchased between 1992 and 1998.

All of the above have been sold, except the Franklin half, the Washington quarter and the Edward I penny.

As for stacking, actual metal instead of numismatic, my first purchase there was a 1921 Morgan Dollar bought for about £8 in 2000. More than it was worth at the time.

2014 silver eagle back in 2014, paid £22 posted, silver was around £12/oz I think, this was before I discovered the second hand market.

I remember how disheartened I was come 2015 when silver had dropped to £9/oz, I'd lost a whole £3 on my 1oz of silver 😄 

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

11 minutes ago, PhilB said:

In 2007/2008 Libertads, 1oz rounds and maples on Ebay and sarnia silver Guernsey also. I recall buying everything 1oz I could below £10 incl post once I had a good few ounces then stopped for 10+ yrs. 

Wasn't even born then...jeez

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Wasn't even born then...jeez

You're right! Your birth certificate (cuneiform tablet) states 3500BC

Edited by Gruff
Spelling...

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Makes no sense, just like your hairstyle 

My hairsyle makes a lot of sense... makes me fast, less wind resistance

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

I got a silver napkin ring when I was born.

Way back in 1974

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

My first silver was the silver spoon I was born with in my mouth.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

1 minute ago, PhilB said:

Not sure I believe you! You missed the best days tho..........

Sovs for £82-85! And they even seemed cheap back then!! 

All I need is one hour at those prices 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I started coin collecting as a hobby in my early teens and can't remember what my first silver piece was. 

But in terms of bullion, my first order was from Coininvest, Germany in August 2015 for the following:

2015 ASE, Bison, 2x Britannia, Kookaburra, Maple, Noah's Ark, a total of 7.25oz averaging £15.98/oz posted (and inc. 20% VAT).

I was new to silver bullion at the time so wanted to test the water by buying a small sample (paying by credit card even with 2% surcharge) from a company I only read about.

From there, I had placed a larger order with them and paid 20% VAT.

Imagine my annoyance when I learnt that Silver-To-Go, its sister company at the time, sells the same coins at 0% VAT ! 😒